• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Our former WR1 update

NAS

3 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

Caleb Williams is a junior and has already won the Heisman Trophy. You know he's ready to join the NFL in 2024. But, if I were his family member or a potential agent, under no circumstances would I allow him to leave college if Chicago had the first pick in the draft.

I'd do one of the following:

1) pull an Andrew Luck and stay in school. 

2) tell Chicago not to draft me like John Elway told Baltimore in 1983

3) have a deal worked so I could be traded to another team on draft day (Eli Manning)

Caleb is headed for disaster if he's drafted by the Bears in 2024.

It's far from guaranteed that Caleb Williams will be the #1 overall pick. With how long he holds the ball and already talking about trying to call his own shots about the team he goes to the red flags are starting to fly.

• Pie 3

15 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's far from guaranteed that Caleb Williams will be the #1 overall pick. With how long he holds the ball and already talking about trying to call his own shots about the team he goes to the red flags are starting to fly.

He is as close to a lock as I have seen this early in the season.  He would have been number 1 last year and has cemented that status so far this season.  I don't see a drop off for him in Riley's offense.

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

People were saying the same about Spencer Rattler.

He didn't win Heisman and didn't start off that hot his next year.  He was benched because Caleb looked so promising as a true freshman.  I really don't think they are comparable.  Caleb threw 42 TDs to 5 INTS last season looks lke Ratter highest was 28 TDs and 7 INTS.  Rattler was projected to make another leap in development, but never did as Caleb is already there.  The Cardinals are legit tanking for Caleb.  This will be his 3rd year of elite play so I would put him more in the Lawrence/Luck category than Rattler.  

20 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

He didn't win Heisman and didn't start off that hot his next year.  He was benched because Caleb looked so promising as a true freshman.  I really don't think they are comparable.  Caleb threw 42 TDs to 5 INTS last season looks lke Ratter highest was 28 TDs and 7 INTS.  Rattler was projected to make another leap in development, but never did as Caleb is already there.  The Cardinals are legit tanking for Caleb.  This will be his 3rd year of elite play so I would put him more in the Lawrence/Luck category than Rattler.  

The NFL couldn't possibly care less about who wins the Heisman. Hell, the honestly don't care about stats. It's all about projection to the NFL level. Williams has some very intriguing tools for sure, but how long he holds the ball is going to really get dissected by NFL talent evaluators. Can he speed up his processing? If he can't, he's not gonna translate. 

17 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The NFL couldn't possibly care less about who wins the Heisman. Hell, the honestly don't care about stats. It's all about projection to the NFL level. Williams has some very intriguing tools for sure, but how long he holds the ball is going to really get dissected by NFL talent evaluators. Can he speed up his processing? If he can't, he's not gonna translate. 

The NFL cares about stats to a degree, it's why players like Mac Jones and Pickett go in the first round, they had record breaking stats against elite competition.  However Caleb's play is top of the league as well.  He had the top rating (78.9) under pressure in FBS and overall rating (116) was also the top and these are stats they care about.  He is holding on to the ball longer because he can sit back there and let longer players develop.  Unless something crazy happens he is the top pick.  I've already heard analyst/talking heads come up with tanking phrases like "Recalibrating for Caleb."  You will read "the closest thing to Mahomes" a lot too which I'm not sure that is a good thing.  How he translate is anyone's guess, but he is currently to be the next Luck/Lawrence so far.  Like I've already said this is year 3 of elite play and last year he was the best in the NCAA.  

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Williams is a stud but I would have to agree that he certainly looks like he is running from situations he can’t control. He left Oklahoma because it wasn’t as desirable of a situation, certainly looks like he made the right choice, and is already planting the seed to teams like the cardinals that he will return to USC if a team he doesn’t like is gonna draft him. Sure he is balling now when things are going his way…but what will he be like on a pro team that sucks?

meanwhile Drake May just puts his head down, his team on his back and gets to work, no jealousy or contempt when another player like Hampton gets the rock and the shine for the week. 

• Pie 1

DJ Moore is a solid NFL WR. He is good at a lot of things. Wish he was still here. However, ask anyone who has owned him in fantasy football and they will all fe you the same thing. 2-4 straight weeks of 5 catches for 70 yards, sit him on the bench and that is the week he will break 100 yards and find the endzone. 

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

I really haven't followed Caleb Williams much or even really watched him play outside of highlights on tv. I'm usually not that familiar with NCAA football if doesn't involve the SEC, Clemson, or a couple of other blueblood programs like Ohio State, Michigan, Texas, and Oklahoma. I can't comment on what you put in your post. However, in this one instance I'd support him wholeheartedly if he did not want to play for the Chicago Bears.

Over 70 years after his retirement in the early 50's, Sid Luckman still ranks 2nd all time on the Bears in TDs and passing yards. He may even have the 2nd highest QBR rating. That's a mindboggling statistic. 😲