• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What has Scott Fitterer done right?

hepcat

1 minute ago, Dave Gettleman's Shorts said:
  • 2nd/4th/6th for Darnold
  • 5th for Baker
  • 3rd and 4th for Corral
  • 6th for Gilmore
  • 3rd and back up TE for CJ
  • 6th for Daryl Johnson

"oh wee mayne"

3rd and 4th for Corral while Sam Howell looks legit is the nail in the coffin. Could have just stayed where they were, drafted Howell and called it a day. It’s like he can’t help himself on draft day and has no patience to let the draft come to him. Bad trait in a GM.

• Pie 2

14 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I don't know if we can fairly assess him in week 2 of his 3rd year because Matt Rhule had a lot of sway the first year he was here, and we don't know how much say he had last year as well.

I think we need to have that conversation at year's end to really identify the good he has done for this franchise, because frankly, there have been a lot more whiffs than hits so far.

Ironically enough, I don't have as much ire for him as Hurney, because with Fit, the randomness and aggressiveness are at least fun, compared to the predictive clockwork of Hurney - Draft first round stud, fug around the rest of the draft, sign some bum FAs, overpay a mid tier talent, have a losing season. Rinse repeat.

You kinda have to look at it as a braintrust.

For his first two offseasons, Fitterer was tasked with getting the kind of guys Matt Rhule wanted for his systems. Now we've got entirely different coaches and systems, hence why some guys acquired previously don't fit anymore.

That doesn't mean everyone needs to go, but it does mean we're starting from scratch more so than some realize.

• Pie 2

Just now, CRA said:

Ok, so in his third year….his 2nd and 3rd best adds are average starting lineman.   His best add is LB. 

I mean, that sort of sums up the Panthers in an offensive league. 

I mean I would also put Foreman up there after what he was able to do last season for us after CMC trade. 

You said PJ Walker but I’m pretty sure that was a Rhule/Hurney get in 2020 and Fitt (or Rhule, whoever) kept him around after that.

I am not defending him by any stretch, he has missed way more than he’s hit….but just think he’s done better than PJ lol.

Right now I’ve got Frankie Luvu as his best FA signing and I’ll agree production wise vs his pay, that’s a win.

Contact wise the DJ Moore contract extension was very reasonable but also one of the reasons they were able to trade him in the Bryce Young so that’s a wash at best. 

Draft wise are we saying his best pick is Icky?

I can’t say it’s a long list of good decisions. 

6 minutes ago, therealmjl said:

I mean I would also put Foreman up there after what he was able to do last season for us after CMC trade. 

You said PJ Walker but I’m pretty sure that was a Rhule/Hurney get in 2020 and Fitt (or Rhule, whoever) kept him around after that.

I am not defending him by any stretch, he has missed way more than he’s hit….but just think he’s done better than PJ lol.

Nah.  I don’t include Foreman.  Just like I don’t Gilmore.  Or Reddick.  They were one year rentals and not part of building us in a direction. 

I was largely just looking to insult the man with the PJ reference lol.  

• Pie 2

19 minutes ago, Dave Gettleman's Shorts said:
  • 2nd/4th/6th for Darnold
  • 5th for Baker
  • 3rd and 4th for Corral
  • 6th for Gilmore
  • 3rd and back up TE for CJ
  • 6th for Daryl Johnson

"oh wee mayne"

What about the signings-picks Fitterer has hit on? Drafting or signing Christensen, Ekwonu, Bozeman, Corbett. I still believe in Jaycee Horn. Drafting Zavala and Bryce this year (2 starters in this draft). Whether you say Fitterer-Rhule or Fitterer these have not all been misses. If you look around the league today there are teams like Denver and Cincinnati who are 0-2. We have a young team that has some important key pieces. I refuse to throw in the towel with 16 games to play.