• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gantt says we will let Dwill walk in 2010.

Snake

Guest BradThomas

One thing to consider is that Williams, although he doesn't have ton of NFL mileage, was THE focal point of the Memphis Tigers his entire collegiate career. He played a considerable amount, and so far he luckily hasn't sustained a major injury.

However, how many RBs succeed past the age of 30? Can you name 5 in the last 10 years that have been pro bowl caliber RBs for more than a season?

Stephen Davis was a prime example. The Redskins knew he was on his last legs when they let him go, and he was. He had one decent season in Carolina after his stint with Washington.

The way he's performed in the past does not equate to how he'll perform in the future after the age of 30. Sure, there are the occasional physical freaks like Marshall Faulk, Marcus Allen and Emmitt Smith, but those guys are few and far between.

The Panthers are in a position to trade Williams at the height of his talent and get maximum return, at the same time having a quality back like Stewart, who didn't have a whole lot of wear and tear on him coming out of Oregon (although has suffered some concerning problems with the turf toe and achilles), to step in without missing a beat.

The Panthers won't pay both, and common sense says you keep the younger guy that more fits the system you want to run (bruising, punishing in the trenches).

I like Williams. I thing he's going to be a great back for the next 4 years at least. That doesn't mean that I want to break the bank to keep him when we've already got a guy that can more than do the job.

I'd get what I can for him now at the peak of his worth and move forward. It's not the sentimental pick, but it makes the most practical sense.

One thing to consider is that Williams, although he doesn't have ton of NFL mileage, was THE focal point of the Memphis Tigers his entire collegiate career. He played a considerable amount, and so far he luckily hasn't sustained a major injury.

However, how many RBs succeed past the age of 30? Can you name 5 in the last 10 years that have been pro bowl caliber RBs for more than a season?

Stephen Davis was a prime example. The Redskins knew he was on his last legs when they let him go, and he was. He had one decent season in Carolina after his stint with Washington.

The way he's performed in the past does not equate to how he'll perform in the future after the age of 30. Sure, there are the occasional physical freaks like Marshall Faulk, Marcus Allen and Emmitt Smith, but those guys are few and far between.

The Panthers are in a position to trade Williams at the height of his talent and get maximum return, at the same time having a quality back like Stewart, who didn't have a whole lot of wear and tear on him coming out of Oregon (although has suffered some concerning problems with the turf toe and achilles), to step in without missing a beat.

The Panthers won't pay both, and common sense says you keep the younger guy that more fits the system you want to run (bruising, punishing in the trenches).

I like Williams. I thing he's going to be a great back for the next 4 years at least. That doesn't mean that I want to break the bank to keep him when we've already got a guy that can more than do the job.

I'd get what I can for him now at the peak of his worth and move forward. It's not the sentimental pick, but it makes the most practical sense.

i agree, it makes perfect sense business-wise. organizations that are continually successful have been able to trade players at the height of their talent, get premium return, and draft new talent.

however, the panthers model is to draft and develop players long-term, so unless something in the braintrust changes, i don't see williams being let go.

It's not the sentimental pick, but it makes the most practical sense.

I'm a sentimental type of guy :D. There are some players that it would kill me to see leave. Smitty, DWill, and Beason are the 3 that right now I absolutely would hate to see go.

i agree, it makes perfect sense business-wise. organizations that are continually successful have been able to trade players at the height of their talent, get premium return, and draft new talent.

however, the panthers model is to draft and develop players long-term, so unless something in the braintrust changes, i don't see williams being let go.

ok, then we do you see them doing with Stewart?

I look at it like this. We have one of the truest two back tandems in football. Lendale-CJ fizzled quickly and became just CJ. AP-Chester Taylor is all AP with Taylor being brought in only when he gets tired. Turner-Norwood is Turner until he gets hurt. Turner will

fizzle out soon, just like Jamal Anderson did after his huge number of carry seasons. AD has been in since a rookie, but isn't going to be the second coming of Jim Brown everyone thinks he will be. Chris Johnson will have a little longer shelf life because he doesn't typically take big hits with his running style.

That brings me to our two back tandem. D-Will and Stew both play at a high level all the time. Williams didn't really become a featured back until last year. I think the "30 wall" could easily get pushed to 32 for Williams and probably 31 or so for Stewart, because if Williams is gone at 32-33 then Stewart will shoulder the load and won't last long after that. That's why I said in another thread that I hope we can have Williams a good 4 more years after this contract, I'll be ecstatic. Maybe we could sign him to a 5 year and trade him after 3 or 4 for mid-level compensation that'd be great.

If Ricky Williams can be an effective RB at 32, I have full confidence that DeAngelo Williams can be too.

I look at it like this. We have one of the truest two back tandems in football. Lendale-CJ fizzled quickly and became just CJ. AP-Chester Taylor is all AP with Taylor being brought in only when he gets tired. Turner-Norwood is Turner until he gets hurt. Turner will

fizzle out soon, just like Jamal Anderson did after his huge number of carry seasons. AD has been in since a rookie, but isn't going to be the second coming of Jim Brown everyone thinks he will be. Chris Johnson will have a little longer shelf life because he doesn't typically take big hits with his running style.

That brings me to our two back tandem. D-Will and Stew both play at a high level all the time. Williams didn't really become a featured back until last year. I think the "30 wall" could easily get pushed to 32 for Williams and probably 31 or so for Stewart, because if Williams is gone at 32-33 then Stewart will shoulder the load and won't last long after that. That's why I said in another thread that I hope we can have Williams a good 4 more years after this contract, I'll be ecstatic. Maybe we could sign him to a 5 year and trade him after 3 or 4 for mid-level compensation that'd be great.

If Ricky Williams can be an effective RB at 32, I have full confidence that DeAngelo Williams can be too.

Ricky is probably a bad reference considering he took basically 3 years off to excell past the 30 wall. I think once you hit over 30 you are lucky to be a situational RB.

pretty sure none of these people even bothered to read the article. talk about overreacting.

if gantt says something WE MUST HATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RAAAAGGE!!!!!!!!!!! NO NEED TO READ!!!! ME JUST HATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol.

Gantt has become my least fav writer at this point.......

http://www.heraldonline.com/247/story/1826722.html

darin's dumber than he looks.

If there is anyone in the Panthers' brain trust feeding this pablum to Gnatt, then that brain trust needs to go, and quickly.

It's clear on this team who needs to go and stay, and Williams isn't in the latter catagory.

It's sad that Gannt has to spew this garbage to get his column read.

Letting Williams walk would be a mistake, and the whole Panthers organization knows it. So when we are talking about D-Will we just decide to let him walk, but when it comes to Peppers we stick a big ol' franchise tag on him??? The Panthers do not, I repeat do not let players walk that are a vitale and important part to this teams success.

Gantt is just an attention *****!!!

P.S. It is also to early in the morning to be making @sshat threads like this.

Gantt....you are INSANE!!!!

woman_screaming-1.jpg

DARIN GANNT!!! I hope you read this. You are by far the worst writer I have ever seen. You used to be ok until you sold out to keep your job. I never read your stuff and when you are on the radio, I turn the station

Gantt is just slapping a canned piece of speculation into the paper during a traditional holiday week. It's pure speculation and meant to stir the pot a bit and keep readers interested.

It's no big thing, he's just blue skying it and guessing.

If you'd have had a thread suggesting a trade of LaDainian Tomlinson a few years back, you'd likely have had a similar reaction. These days, he ain't what he used to be.

I like DeAngelo as much as anyone, but there are legitimate concerns as a runningback ages. That's why this is a perfectly reasonable discussion.

Archived