• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Open Window Throw Selection & Accuracy for QBs so far

Icege

7 minutes ago, joemac said:

You guys should watch this.  Bryce is trying to make chicken salad out of dogshit.  It was bad to watch on Sunday and its even worse today.  Bryce left some plays on the field for sure, but he is getting ZERO help from anybody 90% of the time....they have GOT to make a move for some speed and talent on the outside or we are screwed

So we need elite weapons for the QB our FO told us was the most pro ready? We could have signed Carr or kept Darnold and got more weapons on top of keeping DJ Moore and next years first instead of this disaster.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, frankw said:

So we need elite weapons for the QB our FO told us was the most pro ready? We could have signed Carr or kept Darnold and got more weapons on top of keeping DJ Moore and next years first instead of this disaster.

Is that what I said?  We just need anybody who can get open against man coverage, or anybody who is even a little bit of a sudden, quick athlete.  Also would help if the offensive line were not playing like turnstiles at Carowinds.  I never said Bryce is playing great, but he is getting next to no help from anybody else either. 

Edited by joemac

11 minutes ago, frankw said:

So all Bryce Young has to do is ask for more deep passes and voila we're looking better?

Our front office spent most of camp telling us about how much they were putting on Bryce Young's plate and how he was basically leading meetings and calling his own protections. Either Frank Reich is the most inept conservative coach we've had since Ron Rivera or they are having buyers remorse. Maybe it's both.

https://atozsports.com/carolina/panthers-called-more-deep-throws-for-dalton-frank-reich-assures-no-slight-to-bryce-young/

I'm telling you all who keep asking "Why did Dalton have more deep passes???"  That Reich was asked a very similar question.  I think yes he probably has a different playbook for a veteran like Dalton vs a rookie like Young.  Do I agree with it?  Hell no.  You have to call up some deep passes to open the playbook not 9 plus WR screens.  It's just hard to fault the rookie QB for the play designs/game plan for that week.  If I had to guess Reich was playing with "house money" when Dalton was in and wasn't as concerned about "protecting the rookie," but that's not really doing Young and favors as far as developing him goes.

"I probably called a few more," Reich admitted. "And there were one or two things that Andy specifically asked for, which I don’t wanna go into detail on. But there were a couple of things that he specifically asked for.”

2 minutes ago, joemac said:

Is that what I said?  We just need anybody who can get open against man coverage, or anybody who is even a little bit of a sudden, quick athlete.  Also would help if the offensive line were not playing like turnstiles at Carowinds.  I never said Bryce is playing great, but he is getting next to no help from anybody else either. 

I'm just assessing the full picture my friend. We need a housecleaning after this debacle is what it looks like to me. It isn't Bryce's fault we drafted him. But he's going to have to make the best of it in the meantime.

3 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

https://atozsports.com/carolina/panthers-called-more-deep-throws-for-dalton-frank-reich-assures-no-slight-to-bryce-young/

I'm telling you all who keep asking "Why did Dalton have more deep passes???"  That Reich was asked a very similar question.  I think yes he probably has a different playbook for a veteran like Dalton vs a rookie like Young.  Do I agree with it?  Hell no.  You have to call up some deep passes to open the playbook not 9 plus WR screens.  It's just hard to fault the rookie QB for the play designs/game plan for that week.  If I had to guess Reich was playing with "house money" when Dalton was in and wasn't as concerned about "protecting the rookie," but that's not really doing Young and favors as far as developing him goes.

"I probably called a few more," Reich admitted. "And there were one or two things that Andy specifically asked for, which I don’t wanna go into detail on. But there were a couple of things that he specifically asked for.”

I agree with you so far Frank Reich looks like a buffoon. I wanted Steichen we were impatient. Too late now.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, frankw said:

I'm just assessing the full picture my friend. We need a housecleaning after this debacle is what it looks like to me. It isn't Bryce's fault we drafted him. But he's going to have to make the best of it in the meantime.

I think if they can get Corbett back healthy, get Brady back healthy, or just make it so that Zavala never plays LG again, and find one decent playmaker at WR we can be a functional offense.  Until then, its gonna be grim. 

• Beer 1

11 minutes ago, joemac said:

Well yeah?  Dalton is a 10+ year former Pro Bowler and Bryce has played 12 quarters of professional football.  Who would you trust more?

That's not the point. The point is the team drafted a qb at #1 who they don't trust enough to run their offense. That's why it looks bad and the wr aren't getting open. 

• Beer 1

18 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

According to Steve Smith it was almost completely different with new route combinations 

25 minutes ago, joemac said:

Well yeah?  Dalton is a 10+ year former Pro Bowler and Bryce has played 12 quarters of professional football.  Who would you trust more?

The problem with this statement is, if you don't trust Bryce, he doesn't need to be starting. If they trust Dalton more, and he's performing better in practice and game situations, then he needs to be starting. I know it's not the norm for a number 1 pick to ride the bench, but if he's not read, he's not ready. We're looking at a potential 1-2 win season right now if things keep going the way they are. If winning matters at all, you start your best option, no matter who it is. 

1 minute ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

The problem with this statement is, if you don't trust Bryce, he doesn't need to be starting. If they trust Dalton more, and he's performing better in practice and game situations, then he needs to be starting. I know it's not the norm for a number 1 pick to ride the bench, but if he's not read, he's not ready. We're looking at a potential 1-2 win season right now if things keep going the way they are. If winning matters at all, you start your best option, no matter who it is. 

There is a big difference between trusting a Dalton type player for 1 game, which we lost by the way, than completely throwing your hands up and giving up on your first overall pick QB.  Despite what some here want you to think, Bryce is not playing terribly.  He has not completely poo the bed yet, and we have not gotten blown out in any of his 3 starts.  I think we all would like more points to be scored, but the simple fact is that we are 3 games in.  Bryce, and us fans, are going to have to take our lumps while he learns on the job.  Its that simple.