• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fit's Obsession with trying to recreate the 2013 Seahawks and Legion of Boom

We all know Fit was with the Seahawks org for a long time and apart of their success during the Legion of Boom and Russell Wilson era during the 2010's. Since coming to Carolina as a GM for the Panthers in 2021, many of the moves by Fit has been trying to recreate the Seahawks and have failed miserably.

2021:

• Drafted Jaycee Horn to become our "Richard Sherman" along with trading for CJ Henderson and Stephon Gilmore to become our new "Legion of Boom"
  • Move Jeremy Chinn to safety after having success as an OLB his rookie season to become our "Kam Chancellor"
  • Even Keith Taylor was taking in the same round as Richard Sherman who both have similar builds and play style

2022:

• Traded future picks to move up and take Matt Corral in the third round which is the same round Russell Wilson taken in
  • Drafted Brandon Smith, a highly athletic LB, in the 4th round similar to another highly athletic LB, KJ Wright

2023:

• Hired Frank Reich, a vet coach who's been in the NFL for decades and was given a second chance in the NFL similar to Pete Caroll.
  • Traded multiple picks and DJ Moore to take Bryce Young who has the same build and play style similar to, as you guessed it, Russell Wilson

The main reason the 2010's Seahawks were so good and had all the success was due to incredible drafting and finding key UFDA's and building a Super Bowl winning team while having the majority of the stars still on rookie contracts (Russell Wilson, Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas, Sam Chancellor, Bobby Wagner, KR Wright, Etc.). Fit has even mentioned drafting a QB with a rookie contract is the way to go. But so far, Fit has failed in almost every aspect of trying to recreate the Seahawks 2.0.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

Checks out as well because we love to act about a decade behind the times.  Never at the forefront outside of lucking into Cam and Luke at their positions.  

Reich, Legion of Boom, Basic Zone concepts, no eye for talent (drafts have been awful), in an evolving era where even the Seahawks knew to leave all of that in the dust at a certain point and keep finding guys all over the place.  

Now they have one of the brightest minds at OC these days with an entirely rebuilt team on O and D.   Brooks, Love, Witherspoon, Woolen, Tre Brown, all legit building blocks.  Kenny Walker, Charbonnet, Metcalf, Lockett, Smith-N.  Brand new revamped OL with young dudes that have played well. 

And here we are...

I mean, yeah. Pretty much. And ironically, I don't even think the Legion of Boom approach to the secondary even translates well to today's game. I mean, Sherman and Earl Thomas do but Chancellor is a LB in today's game and I don't see that other big CB that played opposite Sherman (can't remember his name off hand) translating well to today's game.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I mean, yeah. Pretty much. And ironically, I don't even think the Legion of Boom approach to the secondary even translates well to today's game. I mean, Sherman and Earl Thomas do but Chancellor is a LB in today's game and I don't see that other big CB that played opposite Sherman (can't remember his name off hand) translating well to today's game.

Yep.  There's a modern chess match going on every year with schemes, heck, teams are already pulling from Miami's playbook this season, and it's not even like we're a step or two behind, we're not even understanding the moves they make or are at the table. 

We're still learning how to play, going against the computer online with the "hints" turned on.

Dan Campbell & Ben Johnson absolutely worked this team.  

The difference is that Seattle front office knew how to evaluate talent. Shitterer has absolutely no clue what he’s looking at. We also don’t have marshawn lynch in the back field although we had a pretty good impression last year. If he wanted to be Seattle he should have made the Appaloser hire Wilks, a defensive minded coach who had the team playing smashmouth football .

this is a stretch. None of our corners are pure zone guys or 6'4 like Richard sherman. we dont have a huge punishing ss like cam and I know you said Chinn, But I don't think the GM controls where a player plays on a team. He shops for the ingredients coaches decide what goes in the pot so to speak. 

As for the vet Coach, I think tepper was more at fault for that after the Rhule failure. seems natural to go with a proven veteran guy after trying the young college generational thing.

Edited by micnificent28

3 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

this is a stretch. None of our corners are pure zone guys or 6'4 like Richard sherman. we dont have a huge punishing ss like cam and I know you said Chinn, But I don't think the GM controls where a player plays on a team. He shops for the ingredients coaches decide what goes in the pot so to speak. 

As for the vet Coach, I think tepper was more at fault for that after the Rhule failure. seems natural to go with a proven veteran guy after trying the young college generational thing.

it is a stretch to some degree but the similarities and patterns are there. 

• Beer 1

30 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Brandon Browner. They found him in the CFL which is why I’ll always remember that name 

• Pie 1