• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce is going to be a good QB btw...

Zod

4 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Those 7 Mahomes deep shots make all the difference in how the db's play you though. It doesn't have to be every drive, you just have to try it way more than we do

Oh I agree. We absolutely need to be taking more deep shots but we also need someone who can get/win deep and our OL to hold up. But yes, more deep shots for sure. 

I did question Young’s ability to throw deep coming out of college. Seeing Bryce make progress in the other parts of his game through 6 weeks gives me hope the deep ball will come but I’m going to need to see soon

20 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

According to the data Howell has more pocket time on average though. That’s what’s weird?

I think "pocket time" is misleading. I think "time to throw" is more accurate. Howell is good at buying time and he'll make throws knowing he's about to get clobbered. I wouldn't consider that "pocket time". It's simply a measurement of how long it typically takes a QB to deliver a pass.

• Pie 1

The problem is, your eyes are lying to you about how many deep shots Sam Howell is actually taking. You see what you want to see. Also, his best receiver can actually run the routes. On average, Sam Howell goes deep an average for 1.7 times a game. That includes 2 games that he threw nearly 100 passes combined.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/player/sam-howell/HOW692969/2023

Charts for proof.

Edited by Jaxel

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I think "pocket time" is misleading. I think "time to throw" is more accurate. Howell is good at buying time and he'll make throws knowing he's about to get clobbered. I wouldn't consider that "pocket time". It's simply a measurement of how long it typically takes a QB to deliver a pass.

That makes waaaaay more sense if true.  Whenever I watch him play he is running for his life like he did his last year in college. So "pocket time" is kind of a dumb measurement which can look better if your QB is more mobile.  

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Jaxel said:

The problem is, your eyes are lying to you about how many deep shots Sam Howell is actually taking. You see what you want to see. Also, his best receiver can actually run the routes. On average, Sam Howell goes deep an average for 1.7 times a game. That includes 2 games that he threw nearly 100 passes combined.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/player/sam-howell/HOW692969/2023

Charts for proof.

I think the point is a couple deep shots a game (especially if they are close) makes the defense have to respect it, because if they don't that's a TD.  It's something we can incorporate with Young.  We need a running game and a nice PA bootleg deep to Chark would be nice since our guards are struggling in pass protection.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

I think the point is a couple deep shots a game (especially if they are close) makes the defense have to respect it, because if they don't that's a TD.  It's something we can incorporate with Young.  We need a running game and a nice PA bootleg deep to Chark would be nice since our guards are struggling in pass protection.

Agree, and to his point, Sam has connected on a good number of them. 

• Pie 1

32 minutes ago, X-Clown said:

Yeah, I'm sure you really didn't read that thread from last week and never saw it. Oh wait, guess who posted this in it:

"Let's be honest if he were getting positive grades from PFF they would be getting posted in just about every thread about him. Every fanbase hates PFF when their team sucks"

What's untrue about the statement? The majority of the huddle does not like PFF now. Back when we were winning or at least competitive it was used as gospel. Through all the losing the last few years it's become a target of ridicule.

Anywho. Is there any particular reason you only want to talk about PFF and not Bryce Young's season numbers?

Edited by frankw

26 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Those 7 Mahomes deep shots make all the difference in how the db's play you though. It doesn't have to be every drive, you just have to try it way more than we do

People are coping right into an asylum with these passing charts.

5 minutes ago, frankw said:

People are coping right into an asylum with these passing charts.

OK this is a little bit comical as well...  So people are critiquing Young's passing chart and rightfully so but they can't look at other QB's charts for comparison?  He needs to connect on some big passes, I will say on his one deep attempt he was hit and couldn't throw a good pass due to it, so OL is absolutely part of the issue.  On the counter Howell might have a worse OL and he manages to connect on several of those deep passes (he also has a cannon for an arm which helps).  We need to continue to attempt 2 plus deep ones a game and hopefully connect on several.  I think everyone agrees on that. 

16 minutes ago, frankw said:

What's untrue about the statement? The majority of the huddle does not like PFF now. Back when we were winning or at least competitive it was used as gospel. Through all the losing the last few years it's become a target of ridicule.

You are changing the subject. You made the claim that people don't post PFF threads anymore in general and that there's no bias when they are (when it was brought up that Bryce had a good rating this week, but no thread was created). I point out that not only was last week's thread posted within minutes of the ratings coming out, the subject line even said Bryce was in the bottom 5, you attempted to handwave it away like it didn't exist even though you posted in the thread!

Edited by X-Clown