• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

QB School - Bryce Young vs Miami

Coheed

34 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

In order for you (well me) to really try to evaluate Young this year I had to accept 2 things.  One we shouldn't have traded what we traded to draft him, and two Stroud was the better choice.  Now all of that is a sunk cost and water under the bridge and I am looking at Young progressing to see if he can become our QB of the future, which to me he is showing some signs of life and progression.  If we can walk away from this with Young developing into our franchise QB it would be a win at this point.  

In the first quarter absolutely he looked like a competent starting QB and showed off some nice passes. He has the necessary zip within 20 yards. That's what we've been waiting to see. But it's beyond that mark where these discussions turn sour because nobody likes talking about it. There are some throws still that just aren't his forte. Maybe it will come with time maybe it's a couple of combined factors within our not adequate offense. The second half concerns me and it's tough to spend a bye week with that as our final images. But we have a new playcaller and a home game. There's a lot at stake in this Texans game beyond the head to head between the #1 and #2 pick. I'd like to see sustained drives and a few 30+ yard completions at minimum. Hopefully the oline is up to the task.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, frankw said:

In the first quarter absolutely he looked like a competent starting QB and showed off some nice passes. He has the necessary zip within 20 yards. That's what we've been waiting to see. But it's beyond that mark where these discussions turn sour because nobody likes talking about it. There are some throws still that just aren't his forte. Maybe it will come with time maybe it's a couple of combined factors within our not adequate offense. The second half concerns me and it's tough to spend a bye week with that as our final images. But we have a new playcaller and a home game. There's a lot at stake in this Texans game beyond the head to head between the #1 and #2 pick. I'd like to see sustained drives and a few 30+ yard completions at minimum. Hopefully the oline is up to the task.

We have to get some competent OGs around Young if we want him to get a consistent deep ball.  What we have now makes it difficult to plant his feet (which he needs to do on deep passes) and launch it.  Little guys need strong interior OL play, Brees always had great guards in front of him. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Rags said:

That's your problem if you didn't see him as a rookie.

He's a rookie.

He's a rookie that we traded the farm for that was meant to be pro ready and elevate those around him with his 'point guard' play.

That's what we were sold after the moronic trade. 

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

We have to get some competent OGs around Young if we want him to get a consistent deep ball.  What we have now makes it difficult to plant his feet (which he needs to do on deep passes) and launch it.  Little guys need strong interior OL play, Brees always had great guards in front of him. 

I concur completely. This is one area where our GM inexcusably dropped the ball. Interior pressure has been an ongoing problem through multiple QB's now. We'll see how it shakes out.

47 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

In order for you (well me) to really try to evaluate Young this year I had to accept 2 things.  One we shouldn't have traded what we traded to draft him, and two Stroud was the better choice.  Now all of that is a sunk cost and water under the bridge and I am looking at Young progressing to see if he can become our QB of the future, which to me he is showing some signs of life and progression.  If we can walk away from this with Young developing into our franchise QB it would be a win at this point.  

At best you're looking at him developing into a competent NFL starting QB (a Jimmy G or a Tua), which isn't worth what we paid for him and just puts us in purgatory as a franchise. 

1 hour ago, Rags said:

No I get it, it is a common theme in his videos and it's worth discussing.

I think it is absolutely worth a discussion if Bryce is accurate deep. But I don't think it's a Teddy "he just won't" situation. 

Vertical passing game requires a lot of moving parts, lot of timing, lot of rapport, lot of interior protection. 

the panthers have a rookie QB with brand new players to throw to, a new offensive system, abysmal interior OL play, and question marks about the players on the perimeter.

it was always going to take a while to develop but none of that matters because people here who JUST WANT IT RIGHT NOW are inconsolable and trying to pass off their juvenile impatience as something akin to tell it like it is edgebro-ism

• Pie 2

10 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

True. But we don’t even have an inconsistent deep ball right now. 

7 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Trade was dumb.  Everyone (mostly) agrees with that. 

Honestly, I didn't mind the trade. We correctly assessed that we were too low to have a shot at one of the top QB prospects at #9. Evidently we were targeting #3 but the cost differential wasn't all that different to get to #1 so why not? We played much better down the stretch last year and had every reasonable expectation to believe that with better coaching we weren't going to be in a position. To draft any higher the following year. It was a rare situation where there were #1 overall caliber QB prospects available and the team sitting at #1 didn't want a QB so it was available.

Sometimes you have to be willing to roll the dice and take your shot. No one would be complaining about the trade right now if Bryce was playing like that other rookie QB.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Growl said:

Vertical passing game requires a lot of moving parts, lot of timing, lot of rapport, lot of interior protection. 

the panthers have a rookie QB with brand new players to throw to, a new offensive system, abysmal interior OL play, and question marks about the players on the perimeter.

it was always going to take a while to develop but none of that matters because people here who JUST WANT IT RIGHT NOW are inconsolable and trying to pass off their juvenile impatience as something akin to tell it like it is edgebro-ism

This is a win now team and Bryce Young didn’t even need real rookie preseason reps.   That’s what the franchise told us.   

seems fair to critique the inability to do basics given that 

• Pie 3

57 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

17:50 looks like that 20 yard out route people were wanting to see Young throw.  The PA kept his OGs upright and he delivered right on the money.

That's not the 15+ yard out we want to see. That's an over route with the CB in trail coverage - the WR has multiple steps on him. 

The 15+ yard out has to be thrown with enough velocity that the CB can't undercut it, cos he definitely has the angle to. I haven't seen that yet, nor do I expect to. 

Just now, CRA said:

This is a win now team and Bryce Young didn’t even need real rookie preseason reps.   That’s what the franchise told us.   

Never plan to pick here again, I believe was the comment. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, CRA said:

This. I really don't understand the mocking posts when this was literally the messaging from the organization.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Varking said:

Love Sullivans content. I think his Patreon supporters get more plays broken down. There’s a lot of good happening and then there the bad. It’s a mixed bag. Which is to be expected at this point. The promising thing is he has indeed shown improvement every week. We just have to hope it continues. 

The deep ball attempts would be better if he at least gave Chark a chance to get pass interference but he was rushed. 

I don’t see what some folks see. Bryce CAN make every throw. That’s a fact. Bryce DOES have to be more precise with those throws other QBs can get away with. He doesn’t have a cannon or an above average arm. 

You don’t need one to win and it makes me question how much of the play calling has been limited by their deep ball success in practice. 

All in all… I see progress. 

You put a ball 40 yards on the outside shoulder with pressure in your face and the question of can he stretch the field is gone.

I mean we knew that already because he’s already demonstrated an ability to do it at the collegiate level and that’s not something that just disappears, but the evidence is getting harder and harder for people who are so desperate to hold up whatever weird bias they’re clinging to ignore

Throw two nice comebacks in this game as well. 

• Pie 1