• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What I realized about a Burns Trade:

SaltAndPepper

I was watching Colin Cowherd for the herdline news when they brought up Thomas Brown, and as usual instead of sticking to the topic they go off on a random tangent, this time, would the Panthers be sellers at the trade deadline? Logically they brought up Brian Burns because he's the only semi-household name on the team. When both of them tried to think about playoff teams that would part with draft capital to make a Super Bowl push, they couldn't. Their best guess was Miami (but they already paid Bradley Chubb). Eventually they went silent for 10 seconds before moving on... But it made me think. 

Who would he even get traded to? or more specific, Who needs him? 

image.thumb.png.061379b5becc60d8b520de6d6f257afc.png

These are the 7 playoff teams. This thought experiment goes off of the assumptions that 1) These are the playoff teams we'll see in January. 2) They won't trade for someone else. This also keeps in mind that Burns is not really good in the running game, so teams aren't really tradiing him for run support. 

Starting with the AFC: 

1) Kansas City Chiefs:  Tied for the 12th most sacks (17). They have Chris Jones, and George Karlaftis (1st Round Pick). Trade Viability: 3/10
2) Miami Dolphins: Tied for the 3rd most sacks (21). They traded for Bradley Chubb last year for 1st Rd. Pick + change, and gave him long term money. Also have to pay Tua and Waddle. Trade Viability: 0/10

• Pie 1

We had a trade for him to the Rams. Something like that will never materialize again. 

There are very few teams that would even bother at this point. They will just wait until he holds out on a franchise tag so they can get him dirt cheap by comparison.

May as well give up on the idea of any sort of major compensation. That time has passed.

• Pie 8

9 minutes ago, Lurk21 said:

Detroit would be 1 team I look at but we definitely  missed out on trading him 2 separate  times already. To the Rams and to move up for Bryce. We could've possibly kept our 1st next year by including him. 

I doubt they would've taken 2 players in the trade for cap reasons, but rumor has it they wanted him over Moore.

• Beer 1

54 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

We had a trade for him to the Rams. Something like that will never materialize again. 

There are very few teams that would even bother at this point. They will just wait until he holds out on a franchise tag so they can get him dirt cheap by comparison.

May as well give up on the idea of any sort of major compensation. That time has passed.

Yeah I smell another 2009/10 Peppers situation.  Tag and trades are rare because the player doesn't have to sign the tender and until they do, things are at a standstill.  Unless there's a strong possibility of the player being traded somewhere they actually want to go with a fat contract extension waiting for them, they don't have to do poo until they risk missing game checks.  Especially if signing an extension with the current team is off the table.

• Beer 1