• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why Trading Burns is the Only Path to Getting a #1 WR in 2024

tukafan21

1 minute ago, tukafan21 said:

Oh I agree on CMC, I hated it at the time and hate it even more now.  

And not making the smart trade because we're afraid we'll screw up the draft pick is just a poor way to view it.  We just have to hope that we'll make the right draft picks, can't make the wrong calls because we're afraid of making a worse one.

Great discussion…rare here so I appreciate it

7 minutes ago, top dawg said:

If I'm trading anything of value for a receiver, it would be Metcalf, otherwise I'll take my chances in the draft. I mean, if we can get good value, fine. But, we probably wouldn't get good value. 

The 2025 draft?

We're not going to get what Bryce needs in the 2nd round of this years draft.

Bryce needs a true #1 outside WR by Week 1 of next season, not an early 2nd rounder that we hope can develop into one in a few years, that's what Mingo already is for us.

Getting Bryce that #1 is so far and away this teams top priority this offseason, we can't fix everything in one offseason, but everything else takes a backseat to that one and it's not close.

Edited by tukafan21

2 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

Good player, wrong style of game for what we need to give Bryce.

Thielen and Mingo are both possession WRs, sure Evans is better than them at it, but no point in adding redundancy for the sake of adding a better WR, need to add complimentary players to what we already have.

Evans is not a “possession WR” lol. He’s a dominant Bonaire number 1 who can do it all and is one of the best deep threats in the league. Any QB in the league would benefit from having him.

29 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

The 2025 draft?

We're not going to get what Bryce needs in the 2nd round of this years draft.

Bryce needs a true #1 outside WR by Week 1 of next season, not an early 2nd rounder that we hope can develop into one in a few years, that's what Mingo already is for us.

Getting Bryce that #1 is so far and away this teams top priority this offseason, we can't fix everything in one offseason, but everything else takes a backseat to that one and it's not close.

Malachi Corley. Remember the name!

1 hour ago, Varking said:

Tee is the same type of player as Evans but less successful. Tee had a 4.54 40 and Evans was 4.53. 

Almost missed this one…Mike Evans?  It is becoming incredibly clear that you are stuck on measurables.  Wow…glad I see it now.  

Mike Evans has been one of the most consistent players forever.  Tee Higgins is NOT Mike Evans….not even remotely close 

They aren’t the same type or breed or anything else

Edited by Shocker

Random guys you’re not expecting become available every offseason. Saying trading Burns is the only way to get a legit WR is just plain stupid.

Could have had Hopkins for nothing more than money this offseason. Having two savvy vets in Hopkins and Thielen would have been huge for Bryce. Unfortunately our owner thinks Bryce is a point guard who doesn’t need weapons on offense to be successful.

• Flames 1

Just now, Eazy-E said:

Random guys you’re not expecting become available every offseason. Saying trading Burns is the only way to get a legit WR is just plain stupid.

Could have had Hopkins for nothing more than money this offseason. Having two savvy vets in Hopkins and Thielen would have been huge for Bryce. Unfortunately our owner thinks Bryce is a point guard who doesn’t need weapons on offense to be successful.

We can find WRs…finding a DE like Burns is near impossible.  People here just don’t get it

• Pie 1

I'm not opposed to bringing in either Mooney or Gabe Davis.  Yeah I know they aren't Number 1 guys but both have youth and may have not reached their potential.  I don't think Tee or Evans are coming here.  So I'm already on plan B. We just need to reload the WR room. While we at it RB needs some new blood. I refuse to make anymore trades cause we get fleeced too often.  Let Burns walk. 

5 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Why do we need a elite receiver?  I mean certainly they help, but most SB winners have several good ones instead of one great one. 

If we trade Burns so be it.  But I would rather it be for a haul of picks, instead of just one to get a top receiver.   

Because Bryce isn't ready (and may never be able to) lead a SB contention team without elite weapons.

Maybe he could get there someday, but it's clear the lack of an elite outside WR is limiting his development right now.  It's not even just for him to pass to, but because it changes how defenses can run their coverages.

Right now they don't need to worry about doubling anyone or keeping safeties over the top, they can get extra pass rushers because of it, all while his WRs outside of Thielen struggle to get open for him to have clean throwing windows.

I also think teams winning SB's with just a bunch of good WRs and no great ones, is going to mostly be a thing of the past.  Today's NFL is changing and it's a passing league lead by truly elite WR talent.  Sure, KC last year didn't have one, but they have Kelce and the only QB in the league who could potentially challenge Brady for GOAT status someday.

But look at the other SB teams in recent years...

KC played against the Eagles (Brown, Smith), Rams (Kupp) vs Bengals (Chase, Higgins), Bucs (Evans, Godwin, AB) vs KC (Tyreek, Kelce), KC (Tyreek, Kelce) vs 49ers (Deebo, Kittle).

2 minutes ago, Shocker said:

We can find WRs…finding a DE like Burns is near impossible.  People here just don’t get it

Burns needs a running mate on the D line. Sucks everyone we’ve drafted for that role has yet to work out. Also Justin Houston has been a bust of a signing. Don’t even get me started at the decision to trade up for DJ Johnson.