• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers owner admits a three-way trade for the No. 1 pick was in place two days before it happened

TeppersEgos

Still wild to think of. 

Compare what got the Texans from 12 to 3: 2023 1st, 2nd, 2024 1st, 3rd..(They had 2 first next year so kept the Browns pick)..nothing beyond in 2025.

Now, imagine what 9 to 3 would have taken.  Probably the same because Fitterer tends to get fleeced, but still, there's no DJ Moore in that trade.  Could've been 9, one of our 2023 2nds & 2024's 1st.  Maybe a future mid rounder, but not that 2025 2nd.     

So we weren't quite sure who we wanted but were willing to give up our best offensive player and more to move up 2 extra spots.   

Also, you tend to see the team trading up try to leverage a few late rounders to help with the quantity of picks and we really didn't do that.  After adding DJ, I feel we could have netted at least a 5th from Chicago.  

Fail

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, electro's horse said:

Lmao white knighting tepper at this moment in time, knowing everything you know. 

“sometimes you gotta make the worst trade in nfl history if you wanna be competitive. Guys a tier 1 financial operator the rest of you wouldn’t understand.”

Na, I’m not going that far, Tepper hasn’t earned that kinda support from me. Just based on my own observations, sounds like the whole coaching staff and front office were on board, so I don’t really pin the blame for such a costly trade on Tepper alone. 

the HC hire on the other hand… 

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, OceanRider said:

Im not a football genius, but the team is not complete yet- I don’t believe that it’s for not trying though-

The above opinion was realized by about half of this board last year. It's why we didn't think this was the year to make the deal. We should have used all of our picks and solidified the roster. There are about 4-5 high prospects coming out in 2024. We could have traded up and put whoever we got in a much better situation than the one Bryce inherited.

At the same time, all of the trades or signings won't amount to ANYTHING if the current FO stays intact. Our drafts our terrible. I don't know if it's due to the scout giving the FO bas intel, of the FO ignoring the advice of the scouts. All I know is that I shudder at the thought of Fitterer overseeing things for the next couple of years.

15 hours ago, onmyown said:

why the fug is someone who has never had success or even a role in anything football related having such strong input on what needs to be happening in very impactful football operations? I mean what causes someone to be such a way?

like me with a career in law waltzing in to a car factory and start demanding engines be built how I feel they should with zero experience…not in a million years would I think to do that even if I bought the damn factory

thats literally what Tepper is doing and thinking he will be successful lol..like yea Tepper these guys spent their lives at the craft but you’ll walk in and have valuable input doing it for well since never

this is a toy to him, buckle up Panther fans…there is no future for this team under tepper

He owns the team

he is a billionaire 

he can do whatever he wants,  whenever he wants 

he could give 2 shakes of a rat’s ass what you or I think or observe 

all he understands is the embarrassment of no one wanting to pay to see his product of the field 

PSLs expire  on a 4 or 6 or 8 year term based on date of purchase, nor can they be turned in without paying for them or transferring to someone who will pick it up until that term finishes

so net, it will take awhile for all of us idiots to stop giving him money   Then, he will feel pain   Not until then…   Not counting his ego of course 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

15 hours ago, Dave Gettleman's Shorts said:

Lovie Smith Hail Mary really alter the course of two franchise's future

If the Texans never won that final game, Bryce would be in Houston while Stroud and maybe DJ Moore would be in Carolina rn

poo, three actually

13 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

He owns the team

he is a billionaire 

he can do whatever he wants,  whenever he wants 

he could give 2 shakes of a rat’s ass what you or I think or observe 

all he understands is the embarrassment of no one wanting to pay to see his product of the field 

PSLs expire  on a 4 or 6 or 8 year term based on date of purchase, nor can they be turned in without paying for them or transferring to someone who will pick it up until that term finishes

so net, it will take awhile for all of us idiots to stop giving him money   Then, he will feel pain   Not until then…   Not counting his ego of course 

he is worth 20+ billion dollars.  He as made roughly 10 billion in the past 5 years.  I doubt he feels any pain whatsoever at all.

He is an absolute disaster of a nfl owner but that said I would give him my lifes savings today for him to manage. 

Edited by mrcompletely11
  • Pie 2

16 hours ago, TeppersEgos said:

From the article, “According to Panthers owner David Tepper, however, that wasn't how the trade was originally drawn up.

"We had a trade to go up to No. 2," Tepper said. "It was a three-way trade with Chicago. And we were gonna go up to No. 2. And the Texans were gonna trade up to No. 1, Chicago was gonna go to No. 2, and we were gonna trade with Chicago (for No. 9 pick).

And we're waiting. I think we had that trade kinda arranged on Wednesday. I come from a world where you do trades, and I don't love when trades don't happen right away. So I'm driving Scott [Fitterer] crazy. I have to apologize to Scott for this, by the way.”

It sounds like Houston backed out and figured that the Panthers were going to take Young with the first pick. They were perfectly content drafting Stroud with the second pick. Tepper got frustrated when they backed out and basically demanded a trade that would net the Panthers the first pick. This is why you don’t let the owner function as a GM. I guess in a way it worked out because Carolina and Houston both got their guy, but it’s looking increasingly likely that the Panthers got rolled because Tepper insisted on getting his guy. It doesn’t matter if they replace the scouting and front office if the owner is insisting on things like this. The moment you negotiate out of desperation you’ve lost.

https://sports.yahoo.com/panthers-owner-admits-three-way-232230991.html

So this seals the deal. It doesn't matter who the GM is, it's ultimately going to be the Nicole show. The GM is tasked with getting the deal done, he's a middle man. This is never going to work and you might as well jump ship. Let me know the next time an owner's wife is sent down to judge what's happening on the field. What an absolute poo show and I hope no panther fans show up on Sunday. Please plaster cowboy fans all over twitter to embarrass the fug out of these two and run them out of town. There is no hope for this franchise.

I cannot wait for the 30 for 30 on this in 15 years. The St. Louis Teppers, because they would use their own names as the mascot.

32 minutes ago, Johnstonny said:

Five years and 6 QB's is patient enough. They had to do something. Unfortunately, like everything else they got it wrong again....

Thinking that you have to do something right now when it isn't necessarily the best idea is a great way to make things even worse.