• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who Picked Bryce?

tukafan21

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Why did they all most what seemed so obvious? What caused them to overlook the obvious physical limitations and convince themselves Bryce could be an elite NFL QB? Bruce looks like the historical Heisman QBs that everyone praised as a great college QB but then just chuckled when the NFL was mentioned and said, "C'mon now. Be serious. Dude ain't an NFL QB."

I’m not ready to say his physical limitations will prevent him from being great. However I certainly don’t fault anyone who does. I’m with Olsen on how it’s impossible to properly evaluate him in this offense. I’ve seen some plays where he zips it, but others where is kind of lofts it. I don’t know if it’s a confidence thing or rushing his fundamentals but something is definitely off more so in these past couple games.

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I’m not ready to say his physical limitations will prevent him from being great. However I certainly don’t fault anyone who does. I’m with Olsen on how it’s impossible to properly evaluate him in this offense. I’ve seen some plays where he zips it, but others where is kind of lofts it. I don’t know if it’s a confidence thing or rushing his fundamentals but something is definitely off more so in these past couple games.

Ding Ding Ding...if you find someone to maximize interior oline play it will be night and day. Bryce can't step up into a space that doesn't exist. Drew Brees lived like this...Hurr durrr before anyone says he's not Drew Brees go back and watch the pucker factor when he had Evans and Grubbs as his guards.

There is a difference in college elite and college entertainment. Young was never elite and his best trait is useless in the NFL because his vision is so seriously limited. All that school film? Just entertainment with solid reads which is exactly what it looked like. There are so many 'experts' that look foolish on this one and so many videos that prove what they couldn't see.

• Pie 1

10 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

His arm is never gonna be strong enough to throw 40 yard passes consistently, let alone 20-yard ones. He doesn't have the zip to hit short to target intermediate routes with the pinpoint precision you need. His processing has been actually abysmal this year, routinely making Clausen-esque blunders on screen passes.

What has he shown that gives any indication he'll be great?

31 minutes ago, TN05 said:

His arm is never gonna be strong enough to throw 40 yard passes consistently, let alone 20-yard ones. He doesn't have the zip to hit short to target intermediate routes with the pinpoint precision you need. His processing has been actually abysmal this year, routinely making Clausen-esque blunders on screen passes.

I've seen good throws in the earlier games.  Regardless as Olsen said I can't evaluate poo in this offense.  Especially not a rookie QB.

34 minutes ago, TN05 said:

It is if he gets a runway to set it up. That worked in school but it's looking sparse at this level of play.

I'm more worried about his ability to quickly see what's going on and get rid of it.

I have watched every down this year. The thing that worries me is I haven’t seen him make any amazing plays. Usually you have a couple moments throughout a rookies 1st year that give you some hope. I haven’t seen anything yet. I had and still have a gut feeling this pick is not going to work. I hope I am wrong. Trying to stay positive as if this doesn’t work out, we are screwed for many more years.

9 hours ago, Waldo said:

There is a difference in college elite and college entertainment. Young was never elite and his best trait is useless in the NFL because his vision is so seriously limited. All that school film? Just entertainment with solid reads which is exactly what it looked like. There are so many 'experts' that look foolish on this one and so many videos that prove what they couldn't see.

Nah, he was definitely college elite. But college elite just doesn't always translate. Bryce is the type of classic Heisman winner who is a great college QB but everyone with working vision who isn't trying to formulate a narrative they like can see that he's physically maxed out and will be severely physically limited in the NFL and ends up being a mid-late round pick when someone takes a flyer on him just in case he somehow finds a way to recreate the magic knowing he almost certainly won't.

17 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Nah, he was definitely college elite. But college elite just doesn't always translate. Bryce is the type of classic Heisman winner who is a great college QB but everyone with working vision who isn't trying to formulate a narrative they like can see that he's physically maxed out and will be severely physically limited in the NFL and ends up being a mid-late round pick when someone takes a flyer on him just in case he somehow finds a way to recreate the magic knowing he almost certainly won't.

For me college elite become NFL elite and vise versa. That would make him just college entertainment. That or you have to call the NFL bound guys more than elite which I'm not sure how that would work. He isn't elite on any level but he was entertaining. 

18 minutes ago, Waldo said:

For me college elite become NFL elite and vise versa. That would make him just college entertainment. That or you have to call the NFL bound guys more than elite which I'm not sure how that would work. He isn't elite on any level but he was entertaining. 

Just different games. The Golden Calf of Bristol was as college elite as they come, his game just didn't translate to the NFL.

You're looking for physical traits with the right mentality in terms of projecting to the NFL. Bryce just didn't have any of the physical traits. The Golden Calf of Bristol didn't either in terms of arm. He had average NFL arm strength with well blow average NFL accuracy. He was basically a power RB who threw enough to keep defenses honest.

11 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Just different games. The Golden Calf of Bristol was as college elite as they come, his game just didn't translate to the NFL.

You're looking for physical traits with the right mentality in terms of projecting to the NFL. Bryce just didn't have any of the physical traits. The Golden Calf of Bristol didn't either in terms of arm. He had average NFL arm strength with well blow average NFL accuracy. He was basically a power RB who threw enough to keep defenses honest.

If that is their bar then being elite at that level means zip and it shouldn't be a surprise when obvious not elite people, Golden calf to Jonny Gootball to Bryce Young, fail in the NFL. None od those guys were serious NFL prospects because anyone not a college fan can see how low their quality was from an NFL perspective.

I don't really get college ball or it's culture really. I look at it from the NFL standard I guess.