• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Scheme issues continue

Mr. Scot

7 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

between the coaching staff and Gm shouldn't they have known that in a different scheme they might struggle?  These are highly paid professionals who know so much more than us fans?

When was Reich hired?  January?  He and the GM should have known what scheme they were going to run.  They had a draft and entire free agency to address it.

GMs don't deal with schemes.

SOP in the NFL world is coaches tell GMs the sort of players they need to run their offense, defense, whatever.

The coaching staff didn't ask for any changes to the offensive line. They were pretty happy with the performance they saw last year.

13 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

GMs don't deal with schemes.

SOP in the NFL world is coaches tell GMs the sort of players they need to run their offense, defense, whatever.

The coaching staff didn't ask for any changes to the offensive line. They were pretty happy with the performance they saw last year.

I mean in Madden I can completely change schemes and it doesn't impact my players performance... maybe thats what they assumed.....

14 hours ago, AU-panther said:

between the coaching staff and Gm shouldn't they have known that in a different scheme they might struggle?  These are highly paid professionals who know so much more than us fans?

When was Reich hired?  January?  He and the GM should have known what scheme they were going to run.  They had a draft and entire free agency to address it.

While you are not wrong, it doesn't really delve to the level of nuance required to make the statement you've made.  It's not like they had the draft capital or salary cap to simply replace everything.

This is a coaching problem - or perhaps a meddling owner problem.  If a coach looked at this line and said "They can block wide zone" you'd have to ask "Based on what evidence?"  If the rumors of our owner forcing BY on the staff are true, it's very possible the mess is 100% on the owners plate.

Think of CJ Stroud at QB with our run scheme from last year.  That looks a lot different than BY in . . . whatever this is we have this year.

I think Reich needs to go, but it may not even be his fault.

• Pie 1

28 minutes ago, BrianS said:

While you are not wrong, it doesn't really delve to the level of nuance required to make the statement you've made.  It's not like they had the draft capital or salary cap to simply replace everything.

This is a coaching problem - or perhaps a meddling owner problem.  If a coach looked at this line and said "They can block wide zone" you'd have to ask "Based on what evidence?"  If the rumors of our owner forcing BY on the staff are true, it's very possible the mess is 100% on the owners plate.

Think of CJ Stroud at QB with our run scheme from last year.  That looks a lot different than BY in . . . whatever this is we have this year.

I think Reich needs to go, but it may not even be his fault.

That's basically the question they asked Reich.

His answer was because they could block power/man.

So was it his assumption that if they could do one, they could automatically do the other regardless of their physical make up or skill set? 😕

I'd expect James Campen would know that's not necessarily true but there's no way to know whether he said anything or not.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1

Reich also mentioned what they needed for Bryce offensively, being spread, so maybe they just don't feel comfortable running a power scheme with Bryce under center more of the time.  So it's not the line, they don't want it for Bryce.  Could be as simple as that.  They're keeping Bryce comfortable scheme wise and felt good ENOUGH with the uglies to run it.  And it's not working out.  They're committed to emulating the higher-powered offenses right now and not do what works with the personnel.       

7 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

Reich also mentioned what they needed for Bryce offensively, being spread, so maybe they just don't feel comfortable running a power scheme with Bryce under center more of the time.  So it's not the line, they don't want it for Bryce.  Could be as simple as that.  They're keeping Bryce comfortable scheme wise and felt good ENOUGH with the uglies to run it.  And it's not working out.  They're committed to emulating the higher-powered offenses right now and not do what works with the personnel.       

I daresay Bryce doesn't seem very "comfortable" in games right now.

7e219c8d3fff4bcf89e93418d27fd4fe

If that's the goal, it ain't workin' 😕

Edited by Mr. Scot

9 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

They don't want him to run a power scheme.  Simple as that.  Accept it.

Let's just say I put a lot more stock in Young's ability to handle a power run scheme than I do our offensive lines ability to do zone blocking.

But hell, even if you stuck with what we have now, what prevents you from running someplace out of a "jumbo' package with an extra tackle or something like that?

If we've tried anything of that sort this season, I missed it.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Let's just say I put a lot more stock in Young's ability to handle a power run scheme than I do our offensive lines ability to do zone blocking.

But hell, even if you stuck with what we have now, what prevents you from running someplace out of a "jumbo' package with an extra tackle or something like that?

If we've tried anything of that sort this season, I missed it.

There were some packages with two TEs and I think an extra tackle that resembled the Arbys package from last season that were run early in the game against the Cowboys on Sunday. Greg pointed it out on the broadcast.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, travisura said:

There were some packages with two TEs and I think an extra tackle that resembled the Arbys package from last season that were run early in the game against the Cowboys on Sunday. Greg pointed it out on the broadcast.

I'll probably check out the broadcast at some point.

In game, I spent too much time trying to keep myself from swinging my cane at obnoxious Cowboy fans.