• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kurt Warner's Breakdown of BY(P.U) during the Bears Game

SaltAndPepper

26 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

If you want his fundamentals corrected we have to fix the OL issues first.  Otherwise he is running around trying to play "hero ball" and will immediately go back to his bad habits.

We don't disagree much, but do quite a lot here.  You can and should absolutely fix mechanics independently of other issues.  It's about refining how he does it for the NFL level to better operate in quicker collapsing pockets.  If he's doing this stuff correctly, he can operate better in the tighter pockets, and get the ball out quicker and more effectively.  That's how QBs make up for poor o-lines.  And the one's that are ranked 26-32 right now still have passing games doing something worthwhile.  Waiting for other corrections just seems like a bad path.  Fix what you can fix.     

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

17 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

It actually should have been addressed at 'Bama. He's so far along with this habit it will be hard to correct.  It would HAVE to be done in the offseason, but even then, the results may be disappointing.  Remember, they tried to correct Cam's footwork and he tired it for a while before going back to what he was comfortable doing.

Some thing may be hard to fix. But, having him take a deeper drop to allow routes to properly develop and stepping into his throws shouldn't be insurmountable issues.

Have you had time to watch the tape? It's a hard watch and about a half hour long. Despite the length it's interesting and taught me a few things about the passing game. Kurt cited a play where Bryce did everything correct with the read, drop, and throwing mechanics (22:30 mark of the video) and delivered a great pass the Adam. Bryce may never be great, but with better coaching he can definitely be better.

6 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

Some thing may be hard to fix. But, having him take a deeper drop to allow routes to properly develop and stepping into his throws shouldn't be insurmountable issues.

Have you had time to watch the tape? It's a hard watch and about a half hour long. Despite the length it's interesting and taught me a few things about the passing game. Kurt cited a play where Bryce did everything correct with the read, drop, and throwing mechanics (22:30 mark of the video) and delivered a great pass the Adam. Bryce may never be great, but with better coaching he can definitely be better.

I have and the bad is really bad and the good is that, just good.  Nothing in the tape showed me why he's the #1 overall pick.   I'm not saying nothing can be corrected, but it would be pointless to do it now.  The offseason is when that would have to be addressed.

1 hour ago, 45catfan said:

Serious question, if a rookie QB is struggling as is, would you go and change up everything that he's comfortable with?  I mean, if he his performance looks this concerning doing the things he's in 'his zone' doing, could you imagine him having to think about not bouncing, proper drop backs, proper depths of his drop backs, correct feet alignment and getting set prior to identifying his targets?

Dude would be sacked every passing down because his head would be swimming.

well, that sounds like you need to bench the rookie QB and have a reset. 

• Beer 2

21 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

We don't disagree much, but do quite a lot here.  You can and should absolutely fix mechanics independently of other issues.  It's about refining how he does it for the NFL level to better operate in quicker collapsing pockets.  If he's doing this stuff correctly, he can operate better in the tighter pockets, and get the ball out quicker and more effectively.  That's how QBs make up for poor o-lines.  And the one's that are ranked 26-32 right now still have passing games doing something worthwhile.  Waiting for other corrections just seems like a bad path.  Fix what you can fix.     

I agree and thanks for keeping it classy.  I guess my thought is if he is getting pressured that quickly and that frequently he is going to revert back to bad habits.  You are right in saying that we shouldn't ignore it and try to correct it now, but he needs to get comfortable in order to progress and learn better mechanics.  Constantly trying to dodge defenders is going to make him panic, not think about what he has been working on, and just try to get the ball out as quickly as possible (which at the time would be the way he has done it most of his life).  Back to the backyard football style of play he was famous for when a play broke down.  I didn't mean for it to come across as we simply ignore it until we fix the OL, but more of you won't see consistent better results in mechanics until we fix the OL if that makes sense?

• Pie 1

58 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I agree and thanks for keeping it classy.  I guess my thought is if he is getting pressured that quickly and that frequently he is going to revert back to bad habits.  You are right in saying that we shouldn't ignore it and try to correct it now, but he needs to get comfortable in order to progress and learn better mechanics.  Constantly trying to dodge defenders is going to make him panic, not think about what he has been working on, and just try to get the ball out as quickly as possible (which at the time would be the way he has done it most of his life).  Back to the backyard football style of play he was famous for when a play broke down.  I didn't mean for it to come across as we simply ignore it until we fix the OL, but more of you won't see consistent better results in mechanics until we fix the OL if that makes sense?

Yeah I see what you're saying to keep him comfortable and needing to build around him, but I just think proper footwork is proper footwork.  The game is easier when your fundamentals are in order.  Just like gripping the driver correctly and your backswing being in order allows you to hit it right.     

This backpedal dance he does is not helping and is honestly causing problems being defenders can play ahead of him.  You need to effectively play ahead of the defense and time your throws with precision.  It's just such a slow 2-3 step-back "shuffle & skip" before he even gets into his stance, that defenders can stay in front of his timing.  He still needs to turn into his stance, set, and throw.  All the while going through progressions.  It just looks messy to me and then his reads aren't timed right.

I won't claim to be any expert but it's just what I'm seeing.  

Pulled this from an Athletic article pre-draft, honestly, this anonymous coach sounds spot on to what's happening:

I think he will struggle to make some throws to the field outside the numbers. On seam routes, crossing routes, he's going to be a little late. His footwork isn't good because he's got this Steph Curry style, that's like, 'I'm playing like I'm not even sweating.' It's awesome, but you're gonna miss on some throws being a tick late on time throws. He was a little loose in college because I think he knew I can get away with this.

I mean, can a QB be a Jim Furyk outlier, and the swing's just a bit different? Sure, I.E. Rivers...but footwork is a spot that can't be compromised too much by style.  You need it correct to get the accuracy, power and timing on point.  

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Bear Hands said:

Yeah I see what you're saying to keep him comfortable and needing to build around him, but I just think proper footwork is proper footwork.  The game is easier when your fundamentals are in order.  Just like gripping the driver correctly and your backswing being in order allows you to hit it right.     

This backpedal dance he does is not helping and is honestly causing problems being defenders can play ahead of him.  You need to effectively play ahead of the defense and time your throws with precision.  It's just such a slow 2-3 step-back "shuffle & skip" before he even gets into his stance, that defenders can stay in front of his timing.  He still needs to turn into his stance, set, and throw.  All the while going through progressions.  It just looks messy to me and then his reads aren't timed right.

Pulled this from an Athletic article pre-draft, honestly, this anonymous coach sounds spot on to what's happening:

I mean, can a QB be a Jim Furyk outlier, and the swing's just a bit different? Sure, I.E. Rivers...but footwork is a spot that can't be compromised too much by style.  You need it correct to get the accuracy, power and timing on point.  

Yeah he needs enough comfort to think enough to change his footwork from his current “natural” positions. You are 100% right though, it has to be cleaned up ASAP. The good news is he seems pretty coachable. 

13 hours ago, Bear Hands said:

Yeah he doesn't have that Cam/Darnold fastball to make up for the lazy footwork either. Not that it's ideal to launch a 10 yard rocket at your WR half a yard off target but it's better than throwing a 45mph layup already half a tick late, that's a DB's dream scenario. It seems like every game these DB's are getting more and more comfortable gambling on his tendencies

• Beer 2

1 hour ago, CBDellinger said:

They don’t have time to work on mechanics during the season much.  Happens in the offseason. 

https://x.com/KP_Show/status/1724910187017064610?s=20

Fair point. Goes back to earlier where it's really an indictment on the staff from this summer's work.  

They watched Bryce during school, pre-draft workouts, had him from late spring through all of the summer into preseason.  Just surprising it's still so prominent.  Only other thought is maybe it's like second nature to Bryce, so it could just take some time to naturalize a more typ. 3-step drop.  It may just gonna take a minute to shake out.   

• Beer 1

8 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

Fair point. Goes back to earlier where it's really an indictment on the staff from this summer's work.  

They watched Bryce during school, pre-draft workouts, had him from late spring through all of the summer into preseason.  Just surprising it's still so prominent.  Only other thought is maybe it's like second nature to Bryce, so it could just take some time to naturalize a more typ. 3-step drop.  It may just gonna take a minute to shake out.   

They named him QB1 after like 3 days of camp and let him run o-line meetings lol. Dream team staff kinda stuff

• Beer 1