• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A Bleak Picture Concerning Bryce

Proudiddy

6 minutes ago, Johnstonny said:

So when was the last time a 5'10" QB was worth a sht...and don't say Kyler Murry or Doug Flutie....

At this point I don’t give a fug.. That ship has sailed he is here now.. Got to either make it work or move on.. And reality check they aren’t moving on any time soon.. 
You can keep bitching about this for the next 2 years I refuse to do that..

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, Proudiddy said:

I know the dysfunction is evident across the board, and Bryce is not responsible for that, nor is he responsible for the position he has been put in.  But it just hit me - when is the last time a rookie starting QB got his first year HC fired in year one?  I don't recall any if it's happened.

And that led me to think further...  I mentioned in another thread, despite having a shitty QB hand dealt to him in Indy, starting with Luck retiring, Reich showed well for himself overall there.  I said at worst, he is likely an average HC, so what happened here is a clear sign of how dysfunctional out organization currently is - and yes, it all falls on Tepper - but, I was thinking, if Reich and McCown couldn't figure out how to utilize Bryce with their vast experience as pro QBs, then we must prepare ourselves for the possibility that maybe he isn't salvageable.  And also, his chances of success just practically were chopped in half 11 games into his career, because it is proven that new staffs/FOs typically don't give much runway to QBs (and players in general) they inherit.  They aren't beholden to them, so if they're clearly not part of the solution, they are quick to be put on the chopping block.  Furthermore, as many, including myself, have been saying, we are now The New Old Browns...  look back at their QB carousel over the years and look at how much turnover there was between QBs and HCs.  It's not coincidental...  their ownership wanted to win and win now, so they went through top pick after top pick after stop gap after stop gap after HC after HC.  The synergy is there - if I'm a new HC and I didn't draft this guy, hr is on a short leash, and if he doesn't perform, my chance to really put my stamp on things is by bringing in my own guy.  If he fails, I'm fired and then he'll be traded or released in a year or so too.  We saw it time and again...  that's where we are now.

And so, that being said, I really got to thinking why was it so difficult, if Bryce was touted for having these otherworldly traits, to get the offense looking even just functional? And I thought back to guys like Canty, Olsen, etc., who have brought up how the offense is really hindered by our inability to get under center at all.  So, what if Bryce just really can't do it?  That would explain why Reich didn't want him, but tried to make the best of it.  It would explain why the offense, no matter what adjustments they tried to make, just couldn't find its footing.  It's why the offense didn't look much different between Reich's and Brown's versions.  Perhaps that's why they even had Dalton sub in earlier in the year for the sneak because it was whispered at the time that Bryce couldn't even take the snaps under center to do that.  And if that is the case, man oh man,  this is really just the beginning...

I said earlier in the year, we were likely at the very bottom of a very deep hole and it was going to take a long time to dig out of it as a result of the capital traded and the amount of flubs we made with personnel, but boy, it just keeps getting deeper.

Looking at the situation as a whole a change may be the only chance Young has to be successful.I think it's a Longshot but it's a shot just the  same.Hoping he proves my opinion of him wrong.

3 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

I mean last week he basically admitted our power run game last year was our biggest strength, which he proceeded to change just to change it I guess. 

This is why I also think Frank needed to be fired. Yes, Tepper may have meddled too much,  but it wasn’t up to Tepper to evaluate this team and come up with the offensive scheme and plays. Tepper didn’t draw the X’s and O’s. Overall this situation is like the Titan submersible, it was a a poor plan to start with and expect tragedy at the end. 

• Beer 1

9 hours ago, CRA said:

I don’t think Trevor and that offense is what got Urban fired though.  It got Frank. Urban just got Urban fired.  

It was definitely apart of it. Trevor Lawrence was more hyped than Bryce coming out of college and had a not so great rookie year

Edited by Mr Mojo Risin

2 hours ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

It was definitely apart of it. Trevor Lawrence was more hyped than Bryce coming out of college and had a not so great rookie year

He wasn't really hyped up he was just handled like a no brainer #1 pick. If anything he got into weird poo with the media when he said something to effect of "There's more to life than playing football". Good for him but there are thousands of guys that fight tooth and nail just to get a chance to get noticed on a football field and possibly change their families lives forever. He came off as he could take it or leave it because he would be comfortable either way

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

Jags were 1-16 the year before though.  They were essentially void of all talent on O outside of their new QB.   

I just don’t see them as similar to us/this.  There was no all star staff talk, no making the playoff talk, etc. going in either.  Narratives were just different (but I would concede the offensive realities weren’t that drastically different overall).  

And while Lawerence might not of met the hype as a one man operation as a rookie….he was still a lab built QB for the NFL.  I don’t think the overall feel was comparable to what some here at feeling about Bryce.    Lawerence opened his career throwing for 300+ and wasn’t 31st in yards per game like Bryce.  Also, in terms of narratives, the QBs behind Trevor in Lance, Wilson and Fields weren’t making him look bad/look like the wrong pick.

Urban however was being a one man shitshow 

• Beer 1

14 minutes ago, CRA said:

Jags were 1-16 the year before though.  They were essentially void of all talent on O outside of their new QB.   

I just don’t seem them as similar to us/this.  There was no all star staff talk, no making the playoff talk, etc. going in either.  Narratives were just different (but I would concede the offensive realities weren’t that drastically different overall).  

And while Lawerence might not of met the hype as a one man operation as a rookie….he was still a lab built QB for the NFL.  I don’t think the overall feel was comparable to what some here at feeling about Bryce.    Lawerence opened his career throwing for 300+ and wasn’t 31st in yards per game like Bryce.  Also, in terms of narratives, the QBs behind Bryce in Lance, Wilson and Fields weren’t making him look bad/look like the wrong pick.

Urban however was being a one man shitshow 

Agree with all of that, and the cray thing is Bryce was obviously the lowest ceiling guy vs Stroud/AR/Levis if his computer brain didn't work out. Which it seems like has malfunctioned vs actual NFL defenses. Even if he made the perfect decisions mentally his arm can't get the ball into tight windows or down the field in that split second you have to deliver. Jumping around like a frog instead of setting his feet doesn't help either but he has no choice when he's 6" shorter than whoever is blitzing him

9 hours ago, recceice said:

At this point I don’t give a fug.. That ship has sailed he is here now.. Got to either make it work or move on.. And reality check they aren’t moving on any time soon.. 
You can keep bitching about this for the next 2 years I refuse to do that..

This so much this get over it... don't watch the panthers for another year or just have a smidgen of hope the hindsight moaning won't accomplish jack sh*t

8 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Agree with all of that, and the cray thing is Bryce was obviously the lowest ceiling guy vs Stroud/AR/Levis if his computer brain didn't work out. Which it seems like has malfunctioned vs actual NFL defenses. Even if he made the perfect decisions mentally his arm can't get the ball into tight windows or down the field in that split second you have to deliver. Jumping around like a frog instead of setting his feet doesn't help either but he has no choice when he's 6" shorter than whoever is blitzing him

I mean if you followed Lawrence, his NFL debut felt a lot like his college start.  And while he went undefeated and won a natty….it was full of risky and dumb throws early on as he figured it out.   Lawerence is lab built physically, but not mentally. He has always had some don’t throw that Trevor to him. 

• Beer 1

7 minutes ago, CRA said:

and also Lawrence’s starting WR is depth here.  Bryce has better skill talent vs a rookie Lawrence as crazy as that sounds. 

I don't care to dive into the clips but Bryce has turned down numerous open windows to WR's. Either because he can't see them or doesn't have enough zip to get the ball into a tight window. I'm still in awe of the fact he admitted he'll sometimes blindly throw a ball to a spot even if he can't see what's going on due to his vision, That's worked out like twice this year "Capital A anticipation!" as qb school calls it

• Pie 2

12 hours ago, recceice said:

Cam also had..

Smitty, Olsen, Shockey, Lafell, Dwill and Stew.. Add in Kali, Gross, Wharton and Hangarner on the Oline.. 

Cam my favorite player all time but he didn’t do it alone his rookie year and was in a way better situation then BY..

That’s not delusional that’s reality..

If Young had all those guys around him he would be bigger, stronger, faster, have a NFL caliber arm and wouldn't look like a undersized college QB! 

• The D 1
  • Flames 1