• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Easiest, Most Correctable Action: Fixing the FO/Coaching Disjointment

Bear Hands

The hard reset should have started in the FO. It's a bad sign that a poor performing GM is lined up to be kept.

I see zero signs Tepper is ready for a hard reset. It appears to me he is just changing the parts that got in the way of what he envisioned in the offseason.

Maybe in '25 we get that beautiful hard reset but it could very well be another 1 and done HC next year under Fritterer. (I also have zero faith that will end better than this year)

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, Waldo said:

The hard reset should have started in the FO. It's a bad sign that a poor performing GM is lined up to be kept.

I see zero signs Tepper is ready for a hard reset. It appears to me he is just changing the parts that got in the way of what he envisioned in the offseason.

Maybe in '25 we get that beautiful hard reset but it could very well be another 1 and done HC next year under Fritterer. (I also have zero faith that will end better than this year)

That's what I'm afraid of and hope he realizes sooner than later.  Whether he likes Scott or not, he needs to reset this so that the GM/Coach pairing actually makes sense.  Fitterer has this ever-changing role going on since Rhule, but as his role has expanded, we keep getting worse.  And whether it's his decisions or not, he's the GM, and the roster top-down is the worst in the league.  It's just unacceptable.

• Beer 1

11 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

That's what I'm afraid of and hope he realizes sooner than later.  Whether he likes Scott or not, he needs to reset this so that the GM/Coach pairing actually makes sense.  Fitterer has this ever-changing role going on since Rhule, but as his role has expanded, we keep getting worse.  And whether it's his decisions or not, he's the GM, and the roster top-down is the worst in the league.  It's just unacceptable.

It stinks but all signs point to more not less of the same.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Yeah, the offensive line is not in any way devoid of talent. It's just being misused.

Was Bozeman a 6-game stretch aberration? He's been awful regardless of assignment this year.  Same goes for Icky.  Is he really going to be better at OG simply because scouting reports suggested such?  Why are we confident he suddenly becomes a great OG? 

Corbett is injured again and may be long term issues with his leg.   Moton is still good.  So I'll give you that, but he won't be here by the time we build something.  

Have no faith or comfort in their ability moving forward.  

1 hour ago, frankw said:

To say the cupboards are bare is a severe understatement.

2 out of our 3 top defensive players were drafted by Hurney.

On offense we traded away a top 10 WR also drafted by Hurney.

Scott Fitterer must go!

Our offense’s best players were Moore and CMC, both gone before 2023 and both drafted by prior GMs (Hurney and Gettleman). Heck, our best OL was drafted by Gettleman too. It’s pretty scary how stripped our team is right now and without our 2024 1st and 2025 2nd, we don’t even have a full set of picks to get better. We need a new GM stat.

• Beer 1

54 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

Was Bozeman a 6-game stretch aberration? He's been awful regardless of assignment this year.  Same goes for Icky.  Is he really going to be better at OG simply because scouting reports suggested such?  Why are we confident he suddenly becomes a great OG? 

Corbett is injured again and may be long term issues with his leg.   Moton is still good.  So I'll give you that, but he won't be here by the time we build something.  

Have no faith or comfort in their ability moving forward.  

Bozeman is having to adjust for having one, and frequently two, poor guards beside him.

Ickey would be better as a guard for the very simple reason that he would have blockers on either side of him rather than having to go wide, something that isn't his strength.

The Saints protected Drew Brees well by having three very solid interior blockers rather than just good tackles. That's extremely important for a shorter quarterback like we have.

• Pie 1

Exactly. You need a GM + HC that share a similar vision for the construction of the roster/identity of the team. You do not waver from that. If Fitterer isn't gone we are truly screwed. Tepper has to also allow patience to let them build this roster from scratch more or less. By far the worst roster we have ever had.

100% those guys need to be simpatico. We need 2 fresh pair of eyes that can evaluate this mess and have no ties to anything before it. Correct me if I'm wrong, the GM usually brings in the HC ( with owner input ), so why have we been shying away from that? There is too much corporate America through patterns floating around BOA. 

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Bozeman is having to adjust for having one, and frequently two, poor guards beside him.

Ickey would be better as a guard for the very simple reason that he would have blockers on either side of him rather than having to go wide, something that isn't his strength.

The Saints protected Drew Brees well by having three very solid interior blockers rather than just good tackles. That's extremely important for a shorter quarterback like we have.

Not really about the thread but sure to the Saints point.  You're selling me on changes to the OL and what could be successful.  But that's reliant on making changes under a new staff, and hoping they progress once things are adjusted.  I'm not banking on that and that's not what this is about.  

Poor roster construction, poor scheme pairing.  Doesn't change the point of having alignment between a front office and coaching staff.     

There's nothing to suggest any modicum of comfort moving forward.  If you're needing to sell potential improvement on both scheme and positional changes..(& needing better guard depth) then they clearly had some misalignment staff-wise.  Product shows that at 1-10 clear as day.