• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

McDermott reportedly wasn't the biggest fan of Cam

t96

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/sean-mcdermott-reportedly-bashed-cam-194537786.html

One of the Bills assistants Go Long spoke to for this series said that McDermott’s “frame of reference” as a coach was watching Newton — in his mind — “ruin” the Panthers. “He used to come into offensive staff meetings,” this source said, “and just motherf–k Cam Newton.” Aside from the objective lunacy, this created… awkwardness. Before becoming the Bills’ quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator, Ken Dorsey served as Newton’s coach from ‘13 to ‘17. Dorsey was the coach most responsible for Newton’s rise, thus Dorsey understandably wondered if McDermott knew he was sitting in the same room.

It's basically the offseason for us so I figured this was worth some discussion. I had never heard this before and honestly not sure I buy it. But an interesting anecdote about a guy who had a big part in our best stretch in team history...

• Pie 3

4 minutes ago, OneBadCat said:

Not really understanding what the article or McDermott is trying to say? The quote isn't saying a whole lot. 

Yeah I was lost too, word salad there, is he saying mcd would come into bills offense meetings and trash cam in front or Dorsey? 

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, OneBadCat said:

Not really understanding what the article or McDermott is trying to say? The quote isn't saying a whole lot. 

Longer Bills article for more context:

https://www.golongtd.com/p/the-mcdermott-problem-part-iii-let

But I agree it's somewhat confusing and poorly written/worded. What I think it's trying to say is that the reporter talked to a current Bills assistant who was also an assistant in Carolina (Shula, Holcomb, Washington?) and the assistant told this reporter that McD would rip on Cam in meetings in Carolina and that same attitude has framed how he's "treating" Josh in Buffalo right now.

• Pie 1

read some more, the article appears to be bashing Sean McDermott.  Little else.  Paints him in a very bad light. 

and it appears he isn't actually a fan of the way Josh Allen or Cam Newton play the game.  The reference to Cam to an extent is just highlighting how his present day view and treatment of Josh Allen shouldn't be a surprise. 

12 minutes ago, t96 said:

Longer Bills article for more context:

https://www.golongtd.com/p/the-mcdermott-problem-part-iii-let

But I agree it's somewhat confusing and poorly written/worded. What I think it's trying to say is that the reporter talked to a current Bills assistant who was also an assistant in Carolina (Shula, Holcomb, Washington?) and the assistant told this reporter that McD would rip on Cam in meetings in Carolina and that same attitude has framed how he's "treating" Josh in Buffalo right now.

This dude is severely out of touch if he was bashing Cam and is now bashing Allen. Dude had/has QBs that all but a small handful of teams at the time wouldn't take over their guy without a moment's hesitation.

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

He basically has Cam Newton minus the showboating in Buffalo.  It's the same QB play. 

? We got to be honest, Cam played with heart and the fans will always love him but he did NOT have Josh Allen level arm talent or understanding of the game. He always had kind of a slow clunky delivery, and never improved on his progressions. We ran kind of a simple power run/single read system during Cams 3 good years. He had the best defense in the league and a top 5 line those years too, we were essentially the Eagles. Allen’s team is all old and slow. 

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1
  • Poo 8

16 minutes ago, Selltheteamtepper said:

Allen’s team is all old and slow. 

RB: Cook

WR: Diggs, Davis

TE: Kincaide

I wouldn't call that old and slow skill talent Josh Allen has.  Only 1 of those is over the age of 24 and that's Diggs. 

*Allen has largely been paired w/ good D units his career in Buffalo.  This year isn't the norm on D.  You can play the same game w/ Allen.  He has made the postseason 4 times....paired with the #1, #3 and #6 ranked D.   

• Flames 1

7 minutes ago, Selltheteamtepper said:

? We got to be honest, Cam played with heart and the fans will always love him but he did NOT have Josh Allen level arm talent or understanding of the game. He always had kind of a slow clunky delivery, and never improved on his progressions. We ran kind of a simple power run/single read system during Cams 3 good years. He had the best defense in the league and a top 5 line those years too, we were essentially the Eagles. Allen’s team is all old and slow. 

Huh ?

• Pie 4