• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I don't feel bad for Young

Jmac

13 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

13 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Of course most of the answers are about money.

I'm starting to think most of the sub are just broke in real life. These players play a dangerous game they deserve to be well paid. Money is not why I don't feel bad for Bryce.

I don't feel bad for Bryce, because he had us fooled during the combine. All we had was his game tape. If he throws at the combine and we see his lack of arm talent there is no way we draft him. He fooled us by skipping out on the combine hiding his lack of arm strength. For that I can never feel sorry for the kid.

I hate to tell you this but Bryce Young is far from the first QB to not throw at the Combine. This notion that he somehow "fooled" the Panthers into drafting him #1 overall is just ignorant over-emotional nonsense.

And the idea that by skipping the Combine he was somehow "hiding his lack of arm strength" makes no sense. If you watch 2 years of game tape on a QB and still need to see him throw at the Combine to see his arm strength then you're not doing it right. It's literally the easiest thing to determine about a QB by watching tape.

Do I feel bad for Bryce Young? Of course not. Because, again, nobody has asked for any sympathy for him. I'm frustrated for him (and by him at this point) but at no point has he asked for anyone on this board to feel sorry for him and yet you have threads like this where people rant about how they don't feel sorry for him when he's never asked them to.

Be angry at Tepper, Fitterer, and even Bryce for his performance on the field but stop trying to paint the guy as this villain who conned his way into the NFL and now expects sympathy because he's struggling.

• Pie 1

23 minutes ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

I hate to tell you this but Bryce Young is far from the first QB to not throw at the Combine. This notion that he somehow "fooled" the Panthers into drafting him #1 overall is just ignorant over-emotional nonsense.

And the idea that by skipping the Combine he was somehow "hiding his lack of arm strength" makes no sense. If you watch 2 years of game tape on a QB and still need to see him throw at the Combine to see his arm strength then you're not doing it right. It's literally the easiest thing to determine about a QB by watching tape.

1. He skipped throwing at the combine at least in part because he had forcefed himself to the point one scout said he looked like "a pregnant woman" and didnt' feel comfortable taking off his baggy pants and hoodie. 

2. It's literally not. There are plenty of exmples of QBs that sank due to combine performances. Brady Quinn is the big one that comes to mind. Peoiple thought he had a cannon, then the draft process started and he went and threw and scouts realized he was a blimp launcher. Matt Leinart was another. People can't really tell with all the various things going on in a game just how big the arm is, or how bad their footwork is, or if they can take adjustments. You also want to see them in person. 

Deshaun Watson is someone that worked on his delivery a lot between the end of his college career and the combine. He fixed his footwork and launch angles and improved things and no one would have trusted him if he didn't show it off at the combine. He was great in college (when he wasn't sexually assaulting masseuses) but he threw a duck. 

Workouts at team facilities aren't as good. Player knows everything, familiar with teh field, has his own guys to throw to, schools fudge up all the numbers (florida is notorious for having multiple people break the record for 40 yard dash every season) etc.

Combine has a ton of problems with it and I'm not saying it's perfect but judging arm strength requires a lot more than watching film and stuff. You gotta get your hands on them.

If bryce had thrown every scout would have seen a skinny fat kid doing uncle rico impersonations and holding back GOMAD shits. 

Ken Dorsey was another really funny one. He did a skill competition after 1998 with like Favre, Bledsoe, and Steve Beurlein (1998 season never forget). Basically just them standing at the fifty midfield and hitting targets in the endzone. The three nfl players were just nailing trash cans from fifty out with no effort at all. Dorsey crow hopped into a pass that landed at the 15 yard line outside of the hashes. it was like "oh my that's not an nfl arm." 

Edited by electro's horse
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

I don't blame Bryce Young for doing what was in his own best interest as a prospect. And Tepper and Fitterer are buffoons who should not be allowed anywhere near making decisions for a football franchise. But Bryce is absolutely not without responsibility in this. He took advantage of the benefit of the doubt that playing for Alabama brought with him. While QB's like Stroud AR and Levis were painted as poor leaders with questionable character or low IQ. Yet he received the benefit of the doubt at practically every turn. Yes he took advantage of this and conned teams at the combine. There's no use engaging in mental gymnastics about this. It worked. Either way he's set now Panthers or no Panthers. Good for him. Bad for future prospects.

3 minutes ago, frankw said:

I don't blame Bryce Young for doing what was in his own best interest as a prospect. And Tepper and Fitterer are buffoons who should not be allowed anywhere near making decisions for a football franchise. But Bryce is absolutely not without responsibility in this. He took advantage of the benefit of the doubt that playing for Alabama brought with him. While QB's like Stroud AR and Levis were painted as poor leaders with questionable character or low IQ. Yet he received the benefit of the doubt at practically every turn. Yes he took advantage of this and conned teams at the combine. There's no use engaging in mental gymnastics about this. It worked. Either way he's set now Panthers or no Panthers. Good for him. Bad for future prospects.

I remember the good old days when folks were arguing that dave and nicole didnt put their finger on the scale for young.  Good times

1 hour ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

Do I feel bad for Bryce Young? Of course not. Because, again, nobody has asked for any sympathy for him. I'm frustrated for him (and by him at this point) but at no point has he asked for anyone on this board to feel sorry for him and yet you have threads like this where people rant about how they don't feel sorry for him when he's never asked them to.

Be angry at Tepper, Fitterer, and even Bryce for his performance on the field but stop trying to paint the guy as this villain who conned his way into the NFL and now expects sympathy because he's struggling.

Just so you know, this was a mocking thread ... due to the thread a week ago titled: I Legit Feel Bad For Bryce.

1 hour ago, electro's horse said:

1. He skipped throwing at the combine at least in part because he had forcefed himself to the point one scout said he looked like "a pregnant woman" and didnt' feel comfortable taking off his baggy pants and hoodie. 

2. It's literally not. There are plenty of exmples of QBs that sank due to combine performances. Brady Quinn is the big one that comes to mind. Peoiple thought he had a cannon, then the draft process started and he went and threw and scouts realized he was a blimp launcher. Matt Leinart was another. People can't really tell with all the various things going on in a game just how big the arm is, or how bad their footwork is, or if they can take adjustments. You also want to see them in person. 

Deshaun Watson is someone that worked on his delivery a lot between the end of his college career and the combine. He fixed his footwork and launch angles and improved things and no one would have trusted him if he didn't show it off at the combine. He was great in college (when he wasn't sexually assaulting masseuses) but he threw a duck. 

Workouts at team facilities aren't as good. Player knows everything, familiar with teh field, has his own guys to throw to, schools fudge up all the numbers (florida is notorious for having multiple people break the record for 40 yard dash every season) etc.

Combine has a ton of problems with it and I'm not saying it's perfect but judging arm strength requires a lot more than watching film and stuff. You gotta get your hands on them.

If bryce had thrown every scout would have seen a skinny fat kid doing uncle rico impersonations and holding back GOMAD shits. 

Ken Dorsey was another really funny one. He did a skill competition after 1998 with like Favre, Bledsoe, and Steve Beurlein (1998 season never forget). Basically just them standing at the fifty midfield and hitting targets in the endzone. The three nfl players were just nailing trash cans from fifty out with no effort at all. Dorsey crow hopped into a pass that landed at the 15 yard line outside of the hashes. it was like "oh my that's not an nfl arm." 

I might agree if Bryce didn't have a Pro Day where he threw. You really think NFL teams didn't gauge his arm strength before giving him a 1st round grade? Or are you one of the people who have convinced themselves that we were somehow the only team in the league that had higher than a 2nd/3rd round grade on him?

If we're being honest Bryce's arm strength doesn't even crack the top-3 in terms of issues he's had this year. I'd put his footwork, accuracy and ball security all above arm strength as problems that need to be addressed.

In any event it's not like Bryce set out to dupe the NFL into making him a top draft pick. He may end up being a massive bust, but it won't be because he somehow pulled the wool over everyone's eyes for a cash grab.

11 minutes ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

I might agree if Bryce didn't have a Pro Day where he threw. You really think NFL teams didn't gauge his arm strength before giving him a 1st round grade? Or are you one of the people who have convinced themselves that we were somehow the only team in the league that had higher than a 2nd/3rd round grade on him?

Again, pro days at colleges are like playing with a stacked deck. And there were plenty of concerns about his arm strength coming out, those concerns were just mollified by Super Elite Processor Timing whatevers.

I mean this is technically a completion but it's everything we've noticed is wrong with him and it's with ghost pressure in his face on an empty field 

Also you can't see it but the WR has to bail out this catch because it's overthrown. 

1 minute ago, electro's horse said:

Again, pro days at colleges are like playing with a stacked deck. And there were plenty of concerns about his arm strength coming out, those concerns were just mollified by Super Elite Processor Timing whatevers.

I mean this is technically a completion but it's everything we've noticed is wrong with him and it's with ghost pressure in his face on an empty field 

Also you can't see it but the WR has to bail out this catch because it's overthrown. 

The first thing you see is that Bryce Young hop we've all come to know lol