• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Final Drive

Seltzer

2 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

Young had one good drive in an overall bad game.  He made some nice throws, but I'm not exactly sold on him.

However, this whole "only happened cause of a prevent defense" thing is nonsense. The Falcons were not playing prevent at all.

It wasnt prevent it was more zone.

And your first sentence is basically how I feel at this point.  Hes shown way more bad then good but his overall physical attributes are going to make this a tough road to hoe for sure. 

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

It wasnt prevent it was more zone.

And your first sentence is basically how I feel at this point.  Hes shown way more bad then good but his overall physical attributes are going to make this a tough road to hoe for sure. 

2 of the top teams in the NFL are led by Tua and Brock Purdy...

I don't think that argument is the slam dunk you think it is.

Every single pundit out there said the same things about Tua (probably even more than BY9 b/c Tua was almost out of the league due to concussions), and Bryce has proven himself to be much more durable physically than Tua.  It's amazing how the narrative changed around Tua once they gave him legit weapons.  No one says he too small now that he has an offensive line that can block and receivers that can get open.  And Purdy just fell into the best starting situation in the NFL.

I am in no way saying there is not potential validity in your argument, but there is also plenty of evidence to the contrary right now atop the standings in the NFL.

Would you not agree or do we not live in the same reality on this either?

• Poo 1

I’m convinced all you trolls are 15 year olds who talk poo on COD and have an egg shell for a twitter profile.

non stop ignorant poo.   Can’t find any joy in life.   Can’t even enjoy a win in a miserable season.

cant even let a kid who’s had an awful year have credit for ONE fuging DRIVE!  

fug off, all of you.

• Pie 2

15 minutes ago, Seltzer said:

I don't think that argument is the slam dunk you think it is.

Every single pundit out there said the same things about Tua (probably even more than BY9 b/c Tua was almost out of the league due to concussions), and Bryce has proven himself to be much more durable physically than Tua.  It's amazing how the narrative changed around Tua once they gave him legit weapons.  No one says he too small now that he has an offensive line that can block and receivers that can get open.  And Purdy just fell into the best starting situation in the NFL.

I am in no way saying there is not potential validity in your argument, but there is also plenty of evidence to the contrary right now atop the standings in the NFL.

Would you not agree or do we not live in the same reality on this either?

I think it is ok to disagree. Purdy and Tua are both 3 inches taller, 35lbs heavier, have stronger arms and have great deep ball accuracy. Would Bryce do better in those offenses? Yes for sure. But it is extremely hard to get that set of skill players. You still believe in Young’s potential, a lot of us do not. And that’s ok. We all hope he will turn it around. I’m a Panthers supporter, I’m rooting for the team. I want the Panthers to win and I don’t think Young is the player that can take us there. But I think the language and behavior on both sides of the argument is disappointing.

• Pie 5

1 hour ago, jamos14 said:

Your takes are fuging garbage.

It was a good drive.  Game winning drive's in the NFL are tough; it doesn't matter if you think it didn't meet the eye test.  

Sick of you and others insufferable bullshit.

Good for you. Back in the offseason and presesaon, who was right about how this season would go and who was wrong? Perhaps you view these opinions as insufferable because we're right and the rose-colored crew are actually sort of miserable these days... sucks to have reality disrupt fantasy. 

1 hour ago, mav1234 said:

This just isn't true. It was NOT a prevent defense. Failing to blitz isn't prevent defense... It's 3rd and 2 and they were covering the short passes.  Their four linemen had been beating our OL all day anyway.  They didn't drop back into deep zone or something...

Uh yeah, it absolutely was contain and prevent. Watch the tweet again, specifically the DL. The ends are going up and out, literally standing there, and the DLs are not pushing at all.

I'll link it again here, and that's not even saying anything about the throw that was maybe impacted by the weather and maybe wasn't? That's the throw we got from him having the most space around him he'll ever have in an NFL pocket. A lot of his throws look like that though so impossible to say.

Edited by KSpan

4 minutes ago, KSpan said:

Good for you. Back in the offseason and presesaon, who was right about how this season would go and who was wrong? Perhaps you view these opinions as insufferable because we're right and the rose-colored crew are actually sort of miserable these days... sucks to have reality disrupt fantasy. 

That’s the problem.  You’d rather cheer for your own team to lose and your predictions of doom/gloom come true instead of being pulling for your favorite team like a normal person.

• Pie 2

6 minutes ago, jamos14 said:

That’s the problem.  You’d rather cheer for your own team to lose and your predictions of doom/gloom come true instead of being pulling for your favorite team like a normal person.

Where have I cheered for them to lose? Nowhere. Would I like to see them winning and be wrong? Absolutely. But because I saw what was happening, it was clear that wasn't happening. And talking a counterpoint to the roses and sunshine that inexplicably pops up does not make us bad fans.

It's not complicated. Being objective does now equate to being miserable, as there is nothing I can do about it. Been a fan since 1995... 7 winning seasons... no one hangs around this team if they can't roll with the punches. But being unrealistic, if not downright delusional, can be painful when the reality sets in.

• Pie 3

3 minutes ago, KSpan said:

Where have I cheered for them to lose? Nowhere. Would I like to see them winning and be wrong? Absolutely. But because I saw what was happening, it was clear that wasn't happening. And talking a counterpoint to the roses and sunshine that inexplicably pops up does not make us bad fans.

It's not complicated. Being objective does now equate to being miserable, as there is nothing I can do about it. Been a fan since 1995... 7 winning seasons... no one hangs around this team if they can't roll with the punches. But being unrealistic, if not downright delusional, can be painful when the reality sets in.

I don't think a single person in this thread or even forum is giving a picture of roses.

The OP literally said it's the worst trade in the history of the franchise.   To me, we have not given up hope that Bryce can be a good NFL QB.  Is that worth all that we traded? Heck no.   But this thread just showcased a few damn good plays that were made in tough conditions.  There hasn't been a thing to cheer for all season.  Holding out on some hope for the kid is reasonable.

I'm just so sick of constant troll posting and maybe you aren't one of them and I've incorrectly lumped you in.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Seltzer said:

Yeah, and?

You do realize Bryce is a midget compared to even Tua and Purdy, right? Not to mention Tua and Purdy aren't cursed with noodle arms, unlike Bryce. 

Here's Brock Tua in the same photo. Both are 6'1", and their eyes level:FjLKnx7XoAAZtA_.thumb.jpeg.37fc92ea715e96af4b7005895f9cee09.jpeg

Here's Tua next to Kyler Murray, who is measured at 5'10". There is a big difference:

r474455_1296x729_16-9.jpg.59a853bfab2735f4b7ad5ce022c3c9e8.jpg

And finally here's Kyler Murray standing next to Bryce. Notice anything? There is no way Bryce is 5'10":

FmO28QQWAAA1vJB.thumb.jpeg.5da657a02d125a0ca1f9cffab8cb9549.jpeg.8bd0432342f4a67a84e85e046be8d015.jpeg

To give you an idea of where Bryce stands, here's an illustration:

Untitled_001.thumb.jpeg.094570acc7db41e0116204937f3eb3bf.jpeg

34 minutes ago, jamos14 said:

I don't think a single person in this thread or even forum is giving a picture of roses.

The OP literally said it's the worst trade in the history of the franchise.   To me, we have not given up hope that Bryce can be a good NFL QB.  Is that worth all that we traded? Heck no.   But this thread just showcased a few damn good plays that were made in tough conditions.  There hasn't been a thing to cheer for all season.  Holding out on some hope for the kid is reasonable.

I'm just so sick of constant troll posting and maybe you aren't one of them and I've incorrectly lumped you in.

I appreciate that sentiment. With respect to the post, I am just disagreeing with the football assessment - IMO it's highly inaccurate to call it 'the work of a franchise QB and a guy worthy of a #1 pick', nor was it an 'incredible drive for any QB'. It was NFL table stakes-type performance with zero pressure in his face for much of it, evidenced by Atlanta's defense ging AWOL on the film itself after they shut him down all game long (thanks Arthur), and inaccurate and weak throws still mostly the result; those are throws that an average HS QB could and should make except for perhaps the Chark catch (addressed in a prior post). It was no different than the Bryce that we've seen much of the year but because the team won, such performance is suddently being lauded as something it can very objectively be argued that it's not.

That's pretty much it. Doesn't make sense. It's a crappy season with very little to be excited about and better to win than lose, but IMO that doesn't mean we have to or should accept what amounts to baseline NFL QB performance as something great. Kyle Carolina has seen this movie already - Kyle Allen, for example. It's totally fair to expect more.

Edited by KSpan
  • Pie 1