• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

College Bowl Season

jayboogieman

32 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

2 great games.

The committee got it right!

Those are without doubt the 4 best teams in the country.

I think Georgia is DEFINITELY one of the best four. They had several key players banged up in the SEC CG that would've been healthy for the playoffs. I mean, Bama needed an absolute miracle to beat an Auburn team that got throttled by New Mexico State the prior week. The committee was just in a no win pickle when UGA lost that game and FSU won the ACC CG. They were absolutely hoping for the opposite results in both of those games then they'd have a clean slate for the four obvious teams.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, WUnderhill said:

That’s certainly what the committee wants you to think. Unfortunately, we’ll never know. 

No, I don't care what the committee thinks or doesn’t think. I watched FSU play this year. They aren’t nearly that caliber of a team. Without Travis they weren't even a top 10 team. Without all the guys they were missing for the bowl game, they were barely a top 50 team. 

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

No, I don't care what the committee thinks or doesn’t think. I watched FSU play this year. They aren’t nearly that caliber of a team. Without Travis they weren't even a top 10 team. Without all the guys they were missing for the bowl game, they were barely a top 50 team. 

Ok Nostradamus. I suppose you’re ok with offensive juggernaut Michigan being ranked #1 though. Even though that’s the excuse for jobbing FSU, offense. Love that Alabama/Mich game decided by Alabama mistakes. And that Wash/Tex game where the Heisman candidate QB got to carve up a terrible secondary. The final scores were nice and all, but we don’t have to make up stories about these looking like the best 4 teams in the country. Georgia is still probably the best team in the country. I doubt Penix would do what he did against the FSU defense, and Alabama barely beat Auburn, looked like trash against UAB or whoever that trash school was, had to bench Milroe because he was so bad, and had the game of their lives against a Georgia team missing starters. Worst Bama team in years. But hey, they’re in the SEC they must be sooooo much better than everybody else because that’s what they say. Don’t worry, snapping the ball isn’t important. And yeah, FSU is not as good without literally half their starters, I’m not sure what the point of mentioning that is. Everybody except Travis would have been playing in the CFP. Were they the best team in the country? Who knows, probably not, but they earned their spot. They played good teams without Travis and still won. We’ll never know.

4 minutes ago, WUnderhill said:

Ok Nostradamus. I suppose you’re ok with offensive juggernaut Michigan being ranked #1 though. Even though that’s the excuse for jobbing FSU, offense. Love that Alabama/Mich game decided by Alabama mistakes. And that Wash/Tex game where the Heisman candidate QB got to carve up a terrible secondary. The final scores were nice and all, but we don’t have to make up stories about these looking like the best 4 teams in the country. Georgia is still probably the best team in the country. I doubt Penix would do what he did against the FSU defense, and Alabama barely beat Auburn, looked like trash against UAB or whoever that trash school was, had to bench Milroe because he was so bad, and had the game of their lives against a Georgia team missing starters. Worst Bama team in years. But hey, they’re in the SEC they must be sooooo much better than everybody else because that’s what they say. Don’t worry, snapping the ball isn’t important. And yeah, FSU is not as good without literally half their starters, I’m not sure what the point of mentioning that is. Everybody except Travis would have been playing in the CFP. Were they the best team in the country? Who knows, probably not, but they earned their spot. They played good teams without Travis and still won. We’ll never know.

Michigan wasn’t near my #1 because they played a pretty easy schedule and the Big Ten is comparatively weak, IMO.

Are they the best of that weak bunch and did they have a better resume than FSU? 1000%.

I get it, FSU supporters are super butthurt and they want to lash out and blame everyone else but themselves. 

But, you get no sympathy from me when 29 players opt out but most of UGa's roster showed. I guess not only does FSU not have much in the way of depth but they clearly have a lot of issues with their team culture. 

Modern FSU is just another ACC flash in the pan. They aren’t anything like Clemson, who did rule the conference for several years and make multiple playoff appearances.

• Pie 1

13 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Michigan wasn’t near my #1 because they played a pretty easy schedule and the Big Ten is comparatively weak, IMO.

Are they the best of that weak bunch and did they have a better resume than FSU? 1000%.

I get it, FSU supporters are super butthurt and they want to lash out and blame everyone else but themselves. 

But, you get no sympathy from me when 29 players opt out but most of UGa's roster showed. I guess not only does FSU not have much in the way of depth but they clearly have a lot of issues with their team culture. 

Modern FSU is just another ACC flash in the pan. They aren’t anything like Clemson, who did rule the conference for several years and make multiple playoff appearances.

So I basically agree with you on the relative merit of FSU overall, but man, good for those players for opting out. Why risk significant injury in a basically-worthless bowl game?

I don't blame the players a bit for opting out. If FSU had the balls they would've sat the bowl game out as a team in protest. But they showed up to cash their check with a shadow of their team on the field and got utterly humiliated. Hope the check was worth it. Because other than cashing the check all they accomplished was proving that they didn't belong on the playoffs.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

26 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I’m not an FSU supporter, I’m just not an SEC nuthugger. The point is that any excuse given for FSU’s omission does not hold up under scrutiny. If they would come out and say we’d just rather have Alabama and Texas in for money, or the SEC gets an automatic bid from us because we think it’s the best conference, then we’d all know what the score is.

16 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

So I basically agree with you on the relative merit of FSU overall, but man, good for those players for opting out. Why risk significant injury in a basically-worthless bowl game?

That bowl game was such a trap for FSU. Georgia is probably the best team in the country coming off a loss and a playoff snub with a chip on their shoulder. I don’t think any team in the country wins that game against Georgia. Lose lose situation.

18 minutes ago, WUnderhill said:

I’m not an FSU supporter, I’m just not an SEC nuthugger. The point is that any excuse given for FSU’s omission does not hold up under scrutiny. If they would come out and say we’d just rather have Alabama and Texas in for money, or the SEC gets an automatic bid from us because we think it’s the best conference, then we’d all know what the score is.

It was less about money and more about not wanting to watch a team get blasted(and they would have). That isn’t good for the playoffs.

This isn't some conspiracy. This literally happens all the time in the NCAA basketball tournament when it comes to the committee seeding teams with injured star players. I mean literally just about every season.

36 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

I don’t disagree but no other top 10 team saw that many defections. To be clear not even close to all of those guys were not playing due to the draft. More were transferring. 

But that's really my point. UGa was in the same position of being snubbed and being angry. At UGa most of those guys played because they wanted to prove they were robbed. At FSU, just about everyone jumped ship. So, that tells me a lot about that situation there. And definitely gives the impression that FSU spent all their time crying to anyone that would listen about what a victim they were and almost zero time trying to show that the committee fuged up.

Yeah, the issue the committee has was that there were six deserving teams and only four spots. That problem shouldn't have existed because they should've made the 12 team expansion field effective immediately. There was no point kicking the can down the road on that and they got what they deserved for doing it. As soon as UGA lost and FSU won they were fuged. There was no clear path forward with four teams and you were gonna have two teams rightfully crying foul no matter what you did. 12 teams fixes this. Yeah, there are still gonna be snubs every year but let's be real, if you're on the bubble of a 12 team field you have no realistic chance anyway. 12 teams ensures all the legit contenders qualify. Just don't let the SEC bully their way to five or six fuging teams which is what they're gonna want every damn year.