• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If Penix is there at 33

7 hours ago, PleaseCutStewart said:

As much as I like penix, his o line has been unreal good for him this year. I'm curious to see how he does under pressure.

Not to knock on him, because I like him more than Bryce pre-draft last year, but I have some similar worries for him that I did Bryce

This. Helluva college QB in his sixth year as a man playing against boys but there's a reason why he's not being talked about as an elite NFL prospect. I think he's Teddy Bridgewater. Really accurate, mobility is a plus as a passer but he's not a running threat, and his arm is NFL average at best. He throws a really floaty ball that will be a problem in the NFL. I think he likely projects as a good backup/marginal starter type.

His best case scenario is going late first to a good organization. His worst case scenario is going high second to a dumpster fire. It's also very possible a team like the Bucs or Falcons jump up into the late 1st to nab him and have the 5th year option on him.

• Pie 2

Texas played a crap game and was still in it with a chance to win at the end. They’ll be back in the CFP next year if Ewers stays. Manning isn’t ready and might be a little overhyped. Washington is a very good team so hats off to them for the great win. 

On topic, Penix could definitely be a good NFL QB on another team. Fastest way to ruin his career would be for the Panthers to draft him. 

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

This. Helluva college QB in his sixth year as a man playing against boys but there's a reason why he's not being talked about as an elite NFL prospect. I think he's Teddy Bridgewater. Really accurate, mobility is a plus as a passer but he's not a running threat, and his arm is NFL average at best. He throws a really floaty ball that will be a problem in the NFL. I think he likely projects as a good backup/marginal starter type.

His best case scenario is going late first to a good organization. His worst case scenario is going high second to a dumpster fire. It's also very possible a team like the Bucs or Falcons jump up into the late 1st to nab him and have the 5th year option on him.

Brugler spoke on him on Prospect to Pros some weeks back.  The interest seems lukewarm on the scouting front but some teams do like him.  Personally, I've been a fan and have followed him, but think he's more in the Bo Nix/Cameron Ward tier than JJ McCarthy.  

The arm strength is just good, not great.  The injury history is there.  Age is up there (although that seems to be about every QB these days being 23+).  His accuracy has greatly improved but he still has to work on timed & layered throws.  He's got some gamer in him though and is a fun dude to root for.  

• Beer 1

27 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

Brugler spoke on him on Prospect to Pros some weeks back.  The interest seems lukewarm on the scouting front but some teams do like him.  Personally, I've been a fan and have followed him, but think he's more in the Bo Nix/Cameron Ward tier than JJ McCarthy.  

The arm strength is just good, not great.  The injury history is there.  Age is up there (although that seems to be about every QB these days being 23+).  His accuracy has greatly improved but he still has to work on timed & layered throws.  He's got some gamer in him though and is a fun dude to root for.  

I just don't think he has a laser. He's extremely accurate but there's no much velocity there.

9 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Yeah put the QB with 2 season ending ACL tears and 2 more season ending shoulder injuries behind our OL. What’s the worst that can happen? Also his college WRs are better than our NFL ones… Love his story but we would ruin him with our current roster. 

I would trade our receivers for the wsh receivers in a heartbeat.

44 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I’ve seen some negatives in his weird release. He also played behind one of the best OLs with some great weapons against PAC12 defenses. Same goes for Nix. It’s why they were nearly as good they’re 4 years at other schools. There have been criticisms of him under pressure but after hearing draft experts say that about Stroud I’m taking it with a grain of salt. 

• Pie 2

9 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Yeah put the QB with 2 season ending ACL tears and 2 more season ending shoulder injuries behind our OL. What’s the worst that can happen? Also his college WRs are better than our NFL ones… Love his story but we would ruin him with our current roster. 

Exactly,we do not want him.

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

I’ve seen some negatives in his weird release. He also played behind one of the best OLs with some great weapons against PAC12 defenses. Same goes for Nix. It’s why they were nearly as good they’re 4 years at other schools. There have been criticisms of him under pressure but after hearing draft experts say that about Stroud I’m taking it with a grain of salt. 

I think stuff like "weird release" gets overanalyzed. I don't care if a guy's form isn't textbook perfect. I care about the results. His release is plenty quick and he's plenty accurate. That's all I really care about there. My big concern with him projecting to the NFL is arm strength and what he'll look like when the talent level is more equalized. He has some of the best offensive surrounding talent in college football. His OL and receivers are top notch. 

I know a lot of you don’t want to hear it, but if we take another QB high it will be in the 2025 draft at the earliest. Maybe we take a flier on a late round guy or sign a vet for competition, but our goal this offseason is to try to build an offense around Young. If he keeps struggling then 25 is our year to move on IMO. You don’t make that kind of trade like we did without giving that player a ton of opportunities. 

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I think stuff like "weird release" gets overanalyzed. I don't care if a guy's form isn't textbook perfect. I care about the results. His release is plenty quick and he's plenty accurate. That's all I really care about there. My big concern with him projecting to the NFL is arm strength and what he'll look like when the talent level is more equalized. He has some of the best offensive surrounding talent in college football. His OL and receivers are top notch. 

Rivers definitely made it work. The negative is it takes longer for the ball to come out. It gets overlooked because his OL is top notch, but in the NFL every half a second counts. 

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

33 nah

if he is still there in 3rd you think about it

4rth hell yeah

I’d prefer Ward in the later rounds if he is there. Younger, rawer with a higher ceiling. We can develop him while Young gets a final look. You can also play the “developmental backup” card to the media at first. 

• Beer 1

53 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I know a lot of you don’t want to hear it, but if we take another QB high it will be in the 2025 draft at the earliest. Maybe we take a flier on a late round guy or sign a vet for competition, but our goal this offseason is to try to build an offense around Young. If he keeps struggling then 25 is our year to move on IMO. You don’t make that kind of trade like we did without giving that player a ton of opportunities. 

I believe you are spot on here.