• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Athletic article on GM candidates

Mr. Scot

20 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I've said it repeatedly since the "Hunger Games" story came out.

But I guess that doesn't your narrative, so... 😄

that’s you saying you are okay with his dismissal for stabbing Frank in the back….its not you accepting or acknowledging the poo job he did as a GM here.   Which leads you to fantasizing about how Fitt really is still good and it would totally work if he kept most of GM duties with a new name.  IF ONLY he hadn’t stabbed Frank in the back lol. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, CRA said:

that’s you saying you are okay with his dismissal for stabbing Frank in the back….its not you accepting or acknowledging the poo job he did as a GM here.   Which leads you to fantasizing about how Fitt really is still good and it would totally work if he kept most of GM duties with a new name.  IF ONLY he hadn’t stabbed Frank in the back lol. 

I wanted to see he and Reich have a chance to build together. That went out the window when Reich was fired. But then the Hunger Games article showed it wouldn't have worked anyway, so... c'est la vie.

Now, do you plan to keep pushing a personal discussion and agenda or would you like to try and discuss the actual topic? 😄

Edited by Mr. Scot

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, BlackPanther22 said:

I like Hortiz, Peters, etc.

Other names that should be of interest imo: Glenn Cook (Browns), Cat Raiche (Browns), Andy Weidl (Steelers), Alec Halaby (Eagles), some have mentioned Brandon Hunt. 

I think Glenn Cook gets a job this year, he was apparently really close to getting either the Titans or Cardinals job last year. 

Also as I mentioned before it’ll be interesting to see if any of these HC/GM pairings are different from what we expect based on who works together currently. Like for example if Joe Hortiz ends up being connected to Ben Johnson as opposed to Mike MacDonald. Or like Bobby Slowik being connected to Glenn Cook vs Adam Peters. Stuff like that will be interesting when it starts to trickle out. 

Halaby is mentioned in the article. So is Catherine Raiche, along with another female candidate in NFL exec Dawn Aponte.

Other names the article mentions:

- Bucs Assistant GM John Spytek
- Seahawks Assistant GM Nolan Teasley
- Chiefs VP of Football Operations Brandt Tilis
- Giants Assistant GM Brandon Brown

Listed but not profiled...

Chad Brinker (Titans) Eliot Wolf (Patriots) Trey Brown (Bengals) Harley (Saints) Malik Boyd (Bills)

They also added this:

The wild card is Cowboys VP of player personnel Will McClay. He would be one of the hotter targets if he sought his own shop. Some rumblings of that occurring exist, but the Joneses are fond of the 21-year front-office veteran, and would they allow Washington to poach its personnel ace?

McClay would be my top choice, but his availability is a big question.

Edited by Mr. Scot

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I wanted to see he and Reich have a chance to build together. That went out the window when Reich was fired. But then the Hunger Games article showed it wouldn't have worked anyway, so... c'est la vie.

Now, do you plan to keep pushing a personal discussion and agenda or would you like to try and discuss the actual topic? 😄

My stance is the same as this time last year. 

I want a HC/GM paired up.  Same page.  Same philosophy.  Same vision.  Same timelines.   I’d hire them at about the same time and I would prioritize my HC first.  Then setup him up with a GM that would look to be a great compliment and that would work well with him.   Which a is 180 of what we just did with Fitt and Frank.  Exceptions to that but my stance is largely just that. 

I got no real thought on who I want as GM yet because I don’t know who I want as my HC.  And I prioritize HC over GM.  I think a HC and GM need to be similar in how they view winning in todays NFL.  Where the emphasis needs to be.  And I really think we have a culture issue at this point.  I mean we don’t have it.  So the pairing and match of the two is important.  

• Pie 2

If Scott Fitterer stays in any role here David Tepper will be making all the hiring decisions and running everything. If David Tepper plays any role in hiring anyone other than a consultant to hire a team president who has complete authority to build this organization from the top down the suckage will continue.  That is a fact.

• Beer 2

3 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

If Scott Fitterer stays in any role here David Tepper will be making all the hiring decisions and running everything. If David Tepper plays any role in hiring anyone other than a consultant to hire a team president who has complete authority to build this organization from the top down the suckage will continue.  That is a fact.

If Tepper chooses to go that route, it won't matter who gets hired.

If he wants to get a good candidate at GM or head coach, he's gonna need to promise non-interference.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

If Tepper chooses to go that route, it won't matter who gets hired.

If he wants to get a good candidate at GM or head coach, he's gonna need to promise non-interference.

That's why he only needs to find someone competent enough to find some to run this team, a team president to start. That person will  make all the decisions, including hiring the GM and Head Coach. Tepper should have no say beyond that. 

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Pie 1

5 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Our buddy Casillas had an interesting theory on that...

He thinks it's possible Fitterer gets "promoted" to a job where he continues all of his current administrative duties except making personnel decisions.

Fitterer Is said to be very well liked within the organization and is good at handling a lot of the day-to-day stuff.

This is what a lot of us used to hope would happen to Marty Hurney.

Honestly this is the impression I get from folks I talk to. He’s probably not going anywhere but his job description might. 

Then again SF may see it as an out and jump ship if the work environment is that bad.

8 minutes ago, Leaky_Faucet said:

Honestly this is the impression I get from folks I talk to. He’s probably not going anywhere but his job description might. 

Then again SF may see it as an out and jump ship if the work environment is that bad.

Will be interesting to see, for sure.

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Perhaps at personnel decisions, but per insiders he's done a good job at the other parts of running the team offices and such and is very well liked throughout the building.

So given that knowledge, what would be the problem with committing him to those things, which also then leaves the next GM able to concentrate on personnel matters only?

What exactly are these other parts of running the team? 

1 minute ago, AU-panther said:

What exactly are these other parts of running the team? 

Being over other departments from field management to ticket sales to travel and logistics to stadium maintenance to whatever.

Most team GMs handle everything even remotely football related.

6 minutes ago, CarolinaRideorDie said:

Fitterer is staying because he paid Teppers fine lol

Why would be pay the fine for the man worth 16.7Bn.  Tepper found it in some old Steeler's track pants.