• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL Coach/GM Updates

Someone more educated than me could you answer this: what’s stopping any of these candidates from using their agent to put verbiage into any contract that specifies minimal owner involvement? We know this job is the worst for numerous reasons, one of them being David Tepper. If Tepper finds the guy he covets, why couldn’t said candidate say “listen I am not taking this job unless you agree to stay out of my business”? Could be the best thing to happen to us and also a super reasonable thing for any of these candidates to do. We don’t have much leverage here.

3 minutes ago, FuFuLamePoo said:

Someone more educated than me could you answer this: what’s stopping any of these candidates from using their agent to put verbiage into any contract that specifies minimal owner involvement? We know this job is the worst for numerous reasons, one of them being David Tepper. If Tepper finds the guy he covets, why couldn’t said candidate say “listen I am not taking this job unless you agree to stay out of my business”? Could be the best thing to happen to us and also a super reasonable thing for any of these candidates to do. We don’t have much leverage here.

Generally speaking, very few of them would be in position to make a request like that.

We're in a position where we might need it in order to get a candidate we want because our owner is a dumbsh-t.

Texans fan chiming in to give my non expert opinion. I think Slowik is one year removed but if he is "the guy" you just have to deal with the bumps and bruises the first year or two and roll the dice. 

I have learned that there is so much information we aren't privy to and so although it's fun to play armchair qb, we don't sit in meetings, we don't see players practice, we aren't there game planning. 

Winning cures all as they say but many a Texans fan has complained about his play calling the entire year until this last game which seemed to be our most complete game maybe in the history of our team. I think he could benefit from another year of managing just one side of the ball and not having to worry about the team in its entirety. 

Personally I would hate to lose the continuity we have finally built but I'd be curious to see what he can do with Bryce. 

• Beer 4

34 minutes ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

I get that logic, but we've seen a lot of younger offensive coaches get HC jobs that "weren't ready" in the eyes of many who have become great head coaches.

Sean McVay, Mike McDaniel, Zac Taylor, Matt LeFleur and Kevin O'Connell just to name a few. If anything it's been the older/more experienced coaching hires that have struggled in recent years.

To be fair though, outside of McVay none of those have won a championship yet.

Most are still in the realm of "good", not yet "great" (or in some cases even consistently good).

42 minutes ago, The Lobo said:

Does anyone know if Harbaugh will interview with other teams? 

There has been some Raiders speculation since he was qb coach there 20+ years ago, but I think it's just connecting the dots to have something to talk about.

Edited by UnluckyforSome
  • Pie 1

51 minutes ago, The Lobo said:

Does anyone know if Harbaugh will interview with other teams? 

Nothing reported yet, although Raiders allegedly have some interest. Unless he specifically wants Herbert I'd be surprised if he doesn't interview with at least 2-3 other teams, hopefully we're 1 of them but seems unlikely.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

To be fair though, outside of McVay none of those have won a championship yet.

Most are still in the realm of "good", not yet "great" (or in some cases even consistently good).

True, but if you look at the teams that have hired head coaches since 2017 (the year both McVay and Kyle Shanahan were hired) there definitely appears to be a trend of younger, offensive-minded coaches out-performing older, more experienced and/or defensive-minded coaches.

6 minutes ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

True, but if you look at the teams that have hired head coaches since 2017 (the year both McVay and Kyle Shanahan were hired) there definitely appears to be a trend of younger, offensive-minded coaches out-performing older, more experienced and/or defensive-minded coaches.

I get it. I'm just not a fan of letting trends affect that sort of decision.

Ken Dorsey is technically a young, offensive minded coach. Would he be a better candidate than someone like Dan Quinn, though?

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, t96 said:

Nothing reported yet, although Raiders allegedly have some interest. Unless he specifically wants Herbert I'd be surprised if he doesn't interview with at least 2-3 other teams, hopefully we're 1 of them but seems unlikely.

Yup at least try, that’s all I want. He turns us down, cool, we don’t even attempt it, Tepper isn’t serious about winning. 

24 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I get it. I'm just not a fan of letting trends affect that sort of decision.

Ken Dorsey is technically a young, offensive minded coach. Would he be a better candidate than someone like Dan Quinn, though?

Yeah, I see where you're coming from. But I certainly hope our choices don't come down to Ken Dorsey and Dan Quinn 😄