• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL Coach/GM Updates

3 hours ago, Martin said:

just guesses, but that’s what everyone is doing at this point

image.thumb.png.7798eda294dfc7eeb523814780d08429.png

https://www.thephinsider.com/2024/1/4/24025993/miami-dolphins-oc-frank-smith-is-widely-admired-by-the-nfl

Miami Dolphins offensive coordinator Frank Smith joined the franchise as part of coach Mike McDaniel’s staff, but here’s a sign that his time in South Florida could be coming to a close. The NFL Players Association released a poll in which 1,700 players ranked the coordinators they play on a scale of 1-10 — ranking Smith as the league’s top OC.

of course then there's this...

Carolina Panthers OC Thomas Brown was voted second, followed by Brian Schottenheimer (Cowboys), Brian Callahan (Cincinnati Bengals), and Kellen Moore (Las Angeles Chargers).

so who knows?

43 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The most likable bosses aren't always the best ones

major truth.  The amount of good humans that have been horrific bosses/managers in my life is a LONG list. 

Just now, CRA said:

major truth.  The amount of good humans that have been horrific bosses/managers in my life is a LONG list. 

My former brother in law is a fun guy that everybody loves to be around.

Leadership and ability wise, I wouldn't put him in charge of a lemonade stand.

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

My former brother in law is a fun guy that everybody loves to be around.

Leadership and ability wise, I wouldn't put him in charge of a lemonade stand.

The whole overpromotion thing gets a lot of people.   Lot of people climb out of roles they are great in and into ones they stink at.

• Pie 2

49 minutes ago, CRA said:

The whole overpromotion thing gets a lot of people.   Lot of people climb out of roles they are great in and into ones they stink at.

Yes. Which is why you shouldn’t limit head coach candidates to the best coordinators. It’s a different job. 

I hold Wilks as my example theoretical excellent head coach (I believe he could be), that I wasn’t a huge fan of as a coordinator.

I hate the first week or so of the search process because it takes a little while to get going and there is so much rumor and guessing going on. Real info won’t start until the next couple weeks. Anyone remember how fast the Panthers were compared to everyone else on the last cycle?

13 minutes ago, strato said:

Yes. Which is why you shouldn’t limit head coach candidates to the best coordinators. It’s a different job. 

I hold Wilks as my example theoretical excellent head coach (I believe he could be), that I wasn’t a huge fan of as a coordinator.

I actually feel the opposite about Wilks. I think he is a great DC but below average HC. The only reason he had "success" (6-6 record) was because he ran the ball 30 times per game and the players were relieved that Matt Rhule and his corniness was gone.

People forget:

• Steve Wilks was dogged for being more conservative than Rivera and Fox in 2022.
  • All the times he punted on 4th and short with Foreman in the backfield.
  • Playing off coverage and getting picked apart all season and then getting beat over the top by the Bucs 3 times.
  • Signing Norman and starting Keith Taylor/CJ Henderson instead.
  • His unwavering loyalty to Al Holcombe. 

Better than Rhule? yeah. Better than Reich? Probably. Those are some low ass ceilings. 

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, GarthMcGrath said:

I hate the first week or so of the search process because it takes a little while to get going and there is so much rumor and guessing going on. Real info won’t start until the next couple weeks. Anyone remember how fast the Panthers were compared to everyone else on the last cycle?

We hired Rhule like January 7th and hired Reich the 26th (but the season was 1 week shorter). 

I think most GMs are hired like 15th-20th and coaches get hired a week or two after that. We probably have a GM this time next week and a HC 2-3 weeks from now. I imagine they will interview GM candidates through the weekend and multiple each day.

• Pie 1