• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Just how bad was Bryce Young?

TN05

Bad enough to be 2-15, get this coaching staff fired, not have any leads in the 4 quarter all season, not having more than 100 yards passing in a half multiple times this season, and not proving us doubters or skeptics about him wrong. 

• Pie 4

7 minutes ago, CRA said:

you don't think Zach Wilson (who still went #2 overall) would have had an even better college resume playing at Bama vs BYU? 

No I don’t.. He was a 1 year wonder in a weak conference.. He benefited from that Covid adult Oline to put up the numbers he did his last season.. Other then that he wasn’t even looked at as a draft able player.. BY was the number 1 HS player in the country.. Went to the hardest conference in the country and had 2 years of excellent college production.. Including a Heisman Trophy season.. 

Better competition 

better production 

More years of good production..

jmo

• Poo 1

7 hours ago, recceice said:

No I don’t.. He was a 1 year wonder in a weak conference.. He benefited from that Covid adult Oline to put up the numbers he did his last season.. Other then that he wasn’t even looked at as a draft able player.. BY was the number 1 HS player in the country.. Went to the hardest conference in the country and had 2 years of excellent college production.. Including a Heisman Trophy season.. 

Better competition 

better production 

More years of good production..

jmo

that's the equivalent of saying Bryce Young wouldn't of had a better season if he was dropped into the 49ers. 

• Pie 3
  • The D 1
  • Flames 1

On 1/8/2024 at 7:42 PM, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

I'd have ZERO problem if they walked away from Bryce. They won't of course. But I'm so confident he won't be elite that I have no issues with him giving it a go elsewhere. It'd be interesting to read what the Bryce Guys say in that respect. Are they so sure Bryce is going to be the next great QB in the NFL we simply have to give him more chances? Are they scared to see him go someplace else and make us regret it?

We are not getting an all-time elite Oline any time soon ... if ever. We are not drafting/signing the best WR corps any time soon. Our next coach can't be elite because the elite coaches already have a job. If Young can't even show one shred of elite gameplay in 16 games, what makes you think he will turn it around next season? Even if he gets somewhat better, he'll just be on Baker Mayfield's level. It's a shame we can't cut bait. 2024 will be another wasted season.

I’m with you on this. I’d have no problem with the team admitting their mistake, and moving on right now. I just don’t see it with the kid, and I’m confident he won’t live up to that #1 pick. Sadly, I’m pretty confident it’s just not going to work in Carolina. I’d love to be wrong. 

I’ve pretty much made peace with next year being pretty bad. Hey, atleast in 2025 we start over the rookie QB contract clock. This new regime needs to come in and build a contending team for our new guy in 25.

Edited by AggieLean
  • Pie 5

19 minutes ago, AggieLean said:

I’m with you on this. I’d have no problem with the team admitting their mistake, and moving on right now. I just don’t see it with the kid, and I’m confident he won’t live up to that #1 pick. Sadly, I’m pretty confident it’s just not going to work in Carolina. I’d love to be wrong. 

I’ve pretty much made peace with next year being pretty bad. Hey, atleast in 2025 we start over the rookie QB contract clock. This new regime needs to come in and build a contending team for our new guy in 25.

That's really all they can do. Its Bryce or bust in 2024. Anything else would be unacceptable.  I don't want to see another FA qb coming in and getting 5 or 6 wins and leave us with scraps at qb in the 2025 draft. He either takes us to the playoffs or to the 1st overall pick in 2025.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

47 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

That's really all they can do. Its Bryce or bust in 2024. Anything else would be unacceptable.  I don't want to see another FA qb coming in and getting 5 or 6 wins and leave us with scraps at qb in the 2025 draft. He either takes us to the playoffs or to the 1st overall pick in 2025.

this is a great point. Its just tough when you are tired of losing and know the team can compete if QB play was better. 

Just now, CPF4LIFE said:

this is a great point. Its just tough when you are tired of losing and know the team can compete if QB play was better. 

This team needs a hell of a lot more than a qb to compete. This is one of if not THE worst rosters in the nfl. Tom Brady in his prime wouldn't change that. Build in 2024 the best that they can and try the qb thing again in the 2025 draft.

• Pie 3

I see a little cat and mouse point guard deception where is the ball offense as his ceiling. I’d rather have more. Just show me the prototypical size and skill set, we can design an offense for athletic dummies it is a normal problem. No one takes on players like BY because it is such a difficult thing he is trying to do and there isn’t a program for that.  

I’m afraid he does just well enough to avoid being cut for another year. You know, because of what they invested (the dopes). Like, a tease. Just enough.... Maybe start out 0-4, but then we win a couple and next thing you know he is out for the year on some fluke. And enough people think he finally ‘got it’ and then just had some bad luck. That’s Panthers black cat enough for me, I can see it now. 

So what do they do then? Coach, QB, probably get a re-do. So now were are three years gone. My only hope is every coach they interview says they want their own QB, and it is a deal breaker. Which isn’t likely to happen with tens of millions at stake. 

Hell, if you make it far enough to head coach for Tepper, even if you get fired after the first game you are set for life. They’ll say yes until then. 

Now hear me out. If they could fix his U12 Pop Warner footwork and poor throwing mechanics in the offseason, Bryce would no doubt improve considerably. As of right now, his lack of fundamentals is what's contributing to his indecision and his lack of zip and accuracy.

That said, whether he could fix them remains a very big. For some astonishing and mysterious reasons unknown, he never learned proper footwork in all the years he's played the position. It's unprecedented for an NFL quarterback, much less one drafted at no. 1, to lack the most basic of fundamentals, so it's really difficult to predict how long it would take to teach him something that normally takes years of practice. This is like giving someone a crash course in dribbling and passing before he is thrusted into the NBA as a point guard.

Let's say he miraculously fixes his fundamentals in a few short months and shows improvement next season, the Panthers organization might decide to keep him. This is the scenario I fear the most. Because his ceiling is likely very low, keeping him around will mean purgatory for the team. Miring in mediocrity is not something I'm looking forward to.

Edited by BenjaminBreeg
  • Pie 1

14 hours ago, CRA said:

you don't think Zach Wilson (who still went #2 overall) would have had an even better college resume playing at Bama vs BYU? 

Zach Wilson doesn't start at Alabama 

7 hours ago, csx said:

Zach Wilson doesn't start at Alabama 

sure he does but that’s not even the point.  

Point is simply, does PJ Walker to Tom Brady look better on the 2023 Panthers team or the 2023 49ers.   

Bryce got a bump at Bama. 

Saban wasn’t the GOAT because he had oddly good college QB play.   Most of his college QBs were just college average.  That’s why almost all have largely been irrelevant in the pros.  How many essentially went undefeated with a natty and had little NFL interest? That’s a very recent thing that just started with Tua in terms of NFL thinking they could do something.