• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Breer on the Search Process

Mr. Scot

12 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Hell, he admitted that much after the Rhule disaater (said he thought he was gonna show everybody how it was done) but he also claimed he'd learned his lesson.

(Morgan Freeman Voice: "He had not, in fact, learned a damn thing)

The smartest people in the room don't go around telling people how smart they are or keep trying to prove it. My step son in my second marriage had ADHD and thought he was smarter than everyone else. He would always tell people how smart he was and that he knew a better way to do things. Sounds a lot like Tepper.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, Cavscout said:

The smartest people in the room don't go around telling people how smart they are or keep trying to prove it. My step son in my second marriage had ADHD and thought he was smarter than everyone else. He would always tell people how smart he was and that he knew a better way to do things. Sounds a lot like Tepper.

Pretty much.

I've said before the least effective way to convince me you're smart is to tell me you are.

20 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

The emphasis on analytics guys among our GM candidates isn't encouraging me 😕

Me either. It's football. I'm all for getting and using information if done correctly - and as we all know this organization hasn't done anything correctly since he bought the team. I truly believe Tepper thinks you can win football games by strictly using complex algorithms and Excel spreadsheets. All of that stuff is subjective. Sometimes I think Tepper is more concerned with impressing the analytical nerds that cover the sport than actually putting together a winning product. It's all about proving how smart he is - as if he wants to reinvent the game of football. You know what makes you look smart? Winning football games. Give me a smash mouth team that kicks ass on the lines of scrimmage 10 out 10 times. 

• Pie 2

No one knows the formula to win in the NFL.  There are a number of things that give you a much higher percentage or chance.  

You need to have good/great players, coaches, staff, etc and then you have to throw it all together and have it fit.  

That is one thing I love about the NFL.  It's the ultimate team game and their is so much parity any team can go from horrible to playoffs in a single year.  

With that being said it's impossible to consistently pick the players or coaches that are going to be suck, be average or be a huge piece that lifts and works with the rest and with so many parts it extremely difficult to turn or change that large a ship.

Who thought Green Bay and the Texans would be in the playoffs and who also thought they absolutely roll the Browns and Dallas.  

Tepper could have been frozen in carbonite and Rhule and Reich would have not fared much better than they did.

People want to act like analytics are just too subjective.  Well, so are decisions based on your experience or gut feelings.

Everyone is bitching because we are going on year 6 with way too many decisions that ended up being horrible in hindsight.  All I try to do is root for the team and love and hope the next combination turns out to be a winning one.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

On 1/13/2024 at 7:35 AM, Cavscout said:

Old CYA Proverb:

Never assume you are the smartest person in the room.  You may occasionally, or maybe even frequently be pleasantly surprised but you will never, ever be embarrassed or disappointed because of this stance. 

• Beer 1

9 minutes ago, Pejorative Miscreant said:

Old CYA Proverb:

Never assume you are the smartest person in the room.  You may occasionally, or maybe even frequently be pleasantly surprised but you will never, ever be embarrassed or disappointed because of this stance. 

The way my mom always used to say it was "if you have to tell me how smart you are, you probably aren't".