• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Breer on the Search Process

Mr. Scot

Copied from his 1/10 mailbag column:

From Jeff Murray (@jeffmurr): Who do you think will be the next Panthers GM and HC?

Jeff, this is one of the teams that I think will veer from the traditional structure, to something a little more like what you might see in another sport—which is part of why you bring in a consulting group like Sportsology. That company’s executive director, Mike Forde, is a name to know, as he will have some influence on where the Carolina Panthers’ search goes. Forde is a former top executive for the Chelsea FC of the Premier League.

So I think there’s a decent chance, as we said Tuesday, they hire someone from the operations side (cap/analytics) of a team to be their next GM, and then pair that person with incumbent assistant GM Dan Morgan If you look at Carolina’s interview list, you’ll see more folks from operations than scouting on it. On the coaching side, I do think things are a little less predictable, but one thing I was told by a couple of people is that David Tepper will be looking to check, say, 10 boxes rather than just one (offensive/quarterback) this time around.

My concern here with all this would be whether the Panthers are worried about the right things. To kick off its interview process, Carolina reached out to candidates, through different channels, to see whether they’d accept interviews before officially putting in slips for them with the league. That, presumably, was done out of fear of being turned down—that rejection would get out, which would bolster perception that coach and GM candidates are leery of working for Tepper (which is just the honest truth right now).

So their list, essentially, includes people who’ve already agreed to interview, rather than the full list that they’re looking at. Which, to me, reeks of an organization being concerned with the wrong stuff—and, ironically enough, is a reason why a candidate would be cautious about pursuing either of those jobs.

I do think Tepper can be a really great owner. He’s incredibly smart. But it feels like he’s become too wrapped up in a lot of things that new owners are often concerned with, from image and optics to being seen as forward-thinking to constantly changing his mind.

There aren’t great signs yet that’s changed in 2024. But there’s still time to fix that.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 7
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

i like u

do u like me 2

yes [ ] no [ ]

This quote...

That, presumably, was done out of fear of being turned down—that rejection would get out, which would bolster perception that coach and GM candidates are leery of working for Tepper (which is just the honest truth right now).

...would seem to indicate that a common (or at least expected) answer is "no" 

• Pie 4

3 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

i like u

do u like me 2

yes [ ] no [ ]

Before sending that note...

If I sent you a note asking you a question, would you answer it?

yes [ ] no [ ]

That's where we're at.

• Pie 6
  • Flames 2

I think that Morgan will remain as half of the equation, if he is not offered another job.  I think the cap is very important and these days you need an expert. 

Tepper is not as smart as he thinks he is, but he is smarter than many think he is.  Maybe he will figure it out.

• Pie 3

3 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I think that Morgan will remain as half of the equation, if he is not offered another job.  I think the cap is very important and these days you need an expert. 

Tepper is not as smart as he thinks he is, but he is smarter than many think he is.  Maybe he will figure it out.

Samir Suleiman is already the alleged "cap expert." We've seen how that's worked out the past few years. Get us some damn old school in the weeds football people in the front office. I like the Dallas guy that someone brought up here. We need a significant influx of talent, with less draft capital than other teams have. Cap expert is a total joke if you don't have talented football players to start with.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 3

All started with the Matt Rhule hire. Literally just Tepper and Hurney allowing Rhule to used car sell them on a fake vision of a football team.

When you couldn't think it could be worse it got worse. Hoping whoever the outside firm is talks maybe just a little sense into this organization.

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This is easily the most depressing time in franchise history to be a Panthers fan. It feels utterly hopeless.

As many of us feared, Tepper taking responsibility was for the "wrong hires" not for being involved as he was.

Ah well.

• Pie 3