• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jeff Howe swaps Young and Stroud

Mr. Scot

On 1/18/2024 at 10:18 AM, Captroop said:

I always hear the, "Stroud wouldn't have looked as good on the Panthers this year if they'd taken him."

And while I agree he definitely would NOT have taken this team to the playoffs, I think that's an incredibly short-sighted view. The team won't be bad forever. But will Bryce ever play like a superstar?

I think you flip the question; if Bryce had been on Houston, would he have achieved the same level of success? Really, do you think he would have?

I just don't see anything in Bryce's game that leads me to think he will ever play up to Stroud's level.

Agreed. Pillows is major bust. Next year will be more of the same. 

4 hours ago, top dawg said:

I agree. But if you ask me to start a team today, I'm running to the podium and taking Mahomes before all. 

oh of course of course. I'm saying he has the *potential* to get there. Or at very minimum a consistent top 3 QB

CJ Stroud looks like a future Hall of Fame QB.  And I don't say that lightly.

It ain't even about the numbers.  It isn't about the Texans winning games and going to the postseason.

It is all about the throws he makes.  That isn't scheme.  That isn't supporting cast.  His deep ball is just... you can't do anything about it.  I always knew he was a great passer though.  It was his ability to move in the pocket and be a playmaker outside of it that I questioned.  But I think he's proving me wrong on that.  He will never be much of a runner, but he can rip it downfield accurately while on the move.  It is a little similar to Drew Brees.  Brees wasn't someone who was taking off and running, but the way he could navigate the pocket was second to none.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

On 1/18/2024 at 5:28 PM, GoobyPls said:

Dalton had nearly 60 attempts and before that last drive had 260 yards and one TD (most that came on a broken play)  and we were losing by 17 points.

Let's apply some context here...andy dalton had 60 attenpts as a result of all the penalties on the o line that game. You are backed up and need to get yards in chunks is gonna lead to more throws and screens. Its a QBs jobs to identify breakdowns in defenses and take advantage, if bryce did more of that he would have had a more productive rookie year. So you are basically criticizing dalton for being able to take advantage of defensive breakdowns and coaching staff having more confidence in him to make throws downfield. We had 13 more games to see that just wasnt gonna work for bryce so we had to lean on the run more. Dalton throwing and chuba running the ball mostly likely wins us more than 2 games. 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

15 hours ago, CPF4LIFE said:

STAY AWAY from Alabama QBs

How to put yourself in a position to get fired without playing a game yet. If he thinks Mac is his answer then he is already done as a HC.

And I liked Mayo but he is proving why good defensive guys shouldn't be HCs.

23 hours ago, SOJA said:

I think this is the pill that's hardest to swallow. 

I know this board is very down on Bryce but I don't think he's as bas as this year suggests. But CJ has shown some best QB in the league type stuff this year. I think at his best Bryce could be a fringe Top 10 QB. At this best CJ may be the best QB in the league. 

It doesn't help that I really wanted Stroud 

Pray tell who in the current top 10 (as subjective as that even is) could you honestly envision Bryce being better than?

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

Another one

If the Bills can't get to the Super Bowl with Josh Allen there's no way in hell the Dolphins are with Tua even with all that talent.

There goes the one comparison BY extremists had to cling to. And like the Sam Darnold to Ryan Tannehill comparison a few years ago before Sam had his meltdown this has gone down in flames too.

People here need to start learning.

• Pie 4

2 hours ago, Waldo said:

How to put yourself in a position to get fired without playing a game yet. If he thinks Mac is his answer then he is already done as a HC.

And I liked Mayo but he is proving why good defensive guys shouldn't be HCs.

It could be Mayo proving why Mayo should or shouldn’t be. 

3 minutes ago, strato said:

It could be Mayo proving why Mayo should or shouldn’t be. 

If he is betting that hard on Mac already then it's a firm shouldn't. There is no mystery with Mac, he isn't it. 

2 minutes ago, Waldo said:

If he is betting that hard on Mac already then it's a firm shouldn't. There is no mystery with Mac, he isn't it. 

My objection was to lumping all defensive guys in with condiment man. These 30th rated QB types don’t interest me at all. Including ours.

You don’t think we are going to end up with a coach that is basically the same? 

I sort of think that if you go into that coach’s interview without the whole thing being about getting Young weapons and protection, you aren’t getting a second look. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

23 minutes ago, strato said:

My objection was to lumping all defensive guys in with condiment man. These 30th rated QB types don’t interest me at all. Including ours.

You don’t think we are going to end up with a coach that is basically the same? 

I sort of think that if you go into that coach’s interview without the whole thing being about getting Young weapons and protection, you aren’t getting a second look. 

I agree with that. Ohh our HC will be worse than Mayo, that seems like a lock. Mayo will still head the 3rd best team in that division and leaning on Mac will keep them in 3rd place. The Panthers are more in the Jets position, a hard 4th no matter all the loud and expensive moves they make.

Yeah I lumped them all together because most can't take that step away from being deffensive guy over HC. Rivera and Fox both made it to a SB but couldn't get over the hump or return as HC. A defensive HC that can step away from the mentality and become more offensive in their tendancies is rare, incredibly rare. BB did it for a bit but he reverted in his last years with Brady.

I think you nailed why it happens. Mac is great, blah blah blah, winning D, blah blah blah, super bowl lol. That is a coach who will get fired for that exact reason, just like they will here when it becomes an imposible goal to reach. Can't make a superstar out of a dud but owners arw still looking to a Brady to save them regardless if that was an exceptional exception. Hell Purdy just rolled the clock back on another one popping out 10 years from now.

Edited by Waldo
  • Beer 1