• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Donnelly: Process used to hire Morgan was wrong

top dawg

19 minutes ago, Doc Holiday said:

Food for thought, everyone here thought Scott Fitterer was a slam dunk hire when we made it, he was a early favorite, and universally celebrated as the right guy when we hired him and we all know now how that turned out.

Dan Morgan is getting almost the opposite reaction, I myself will take a "hope for the best, but wait and see" approach. a negative "hot take" to just continue to poo on the panthers is easy low hanging fruit.  

It's not really a hot take all things considered 

20 minutes ago, Doc Holiday said:

Food for thought, everyone here thought Scott Fitterer was a slam dunk hire when we made it, he was a early favorite, and universally celebrated as the right guy when we hired him and we all know now how that turned out.

Dan Morgan is getting almost the opposite reaction, I myself will take a "hope for the best, but wait and see" approach. a negative "hot take" to just continue to poo on the panthers is easy low hanging fruit.  

Yeah I called Fitterer what he was from day 1. Well liked, worked with very good people but he wasn't one of those good people just well liked by them. Seattle actually got better when he left. 

The reality is that no one is giving a free pass here anymore. The Panthers are the offical worst team and is getting that treatment now. That's the difference.

I get the poo exhaustion but bad news, it's pretty much all that's left so it won't be going anywhere anytime soon. I expect an inverse of last year's blind optimistic fantasy. It's going to be a long year again and I am not sure when it will ever stop.

5 hours ago, Steelo said:

Like forreal, additionally it doesn’t matter who he hires as GM the huddle was going to label them a yes man. 

I mean, this just isn't true? People wanted someone from outside of the organization for a fresh start and because that person would have presumably worked in a healthy, non-meddling environment elsewhere, and would only take this job with the same guarantees. 

Hiring a guy that had a hand in constructing the worst Panthers roster you've ever seen is like changing your shirt when you've poo your pants. If you can't see the difference I really don't know what else can be said

• Pie 5

2 minutes ago, Teddy2SuperBowlHeartBreaks said:

I mean, this just isn't true? People wanted someone from outside of the organization for a fresh start and because that person would have presumably worked in a healthy, non-meddling environment elsewhere, and would only take this job with the same guarantees. 

Hiring a guy that had a hand in constructing the worst Panthers roster you've ever seen is like changing your shirt when you've poo your pants. If you can't see the difference I really don't know what else can be said

Hiring one of the Det guys seemed like a no brainer but oh well

Imagine thinking the most important skill to have is "standing up to the owner" of the team you work for. You can have "conviction" and make that clear, but if you're picking fights with your boss all day you'll probably be let go and that doesn't help anyone. I really don't think this aspect of the FO dynamic matters as much. It's just a way for fans to vent and feel like they're being heard by the owner through the GM.

Also, no poo we want someone who believes in Bryce! He's a #1 pick and talented QB who got fuged by his coaching staff last year. Why would you want a GM or coach to come in year 2 of Bryce's career and say "the plan is to sign Teddy Bridgewater and build a team while we look for a younger QB. We can trade Bryce for peanuts." I'm glad our focus is on helping Bryce. Also, if you think the "rep" Tepper is getting for firing Reich in his first season is bad, imagine what moving on from your traded up for #1 pick QB after one bad year with a shitty coach would do to our rep. That would truly be catastrophic. 

We brought in some talented guys the last few years-- especially in FA. Our biggest mistake was letting Reddick and Gilmore walk and trading CMC/DJ. Would have been better to keep them and trade Burns for Bryce. But a lot of our FA signings last year were good. Thielen will be good next to Tee Higgins if we can get him. Troy Hill is good and should stay. The DTs we brought in seem to be solid next to Brown. I fully believe Chark would have been a smash here if our offense system wasn't such crap. His early injury didn't help either. Sanders has more talent than we saw. I believe our O-line can be better than what it was last year. We've seen it. I blame the scheme.

My point is Fitt has missed for sure and our roster decisions have been bad. But there is still talent here that can be cultivated. I'll believe Dan can learn from those mistakes and hopefully with a good cap guy we can make smarter roster decisions on who we keep and cut/trade. Finally, we need a good coach. I like our options this year and especially think Canales will work out if he ends up being the guy. If Evero stays, we know what he can do and we should get more help on D this year too.

• Pie 3

36 minutes ago, Teddy2SuperBowlHeartBreaks said:

I can totally see the difference but when the interview requests went out it had started already “looks like another yes man for Tepper” thrown around left and right. Yeah hiring internally isn’t the most settling thing (at all), but with how toxic the fanbase was unless we stole a teams proven GM there was gonna be sects that had no faith in the hire. It’s just the state of affairs, definitely understandable all things considered. 

9 hours ago, Tbe said:

I really think Morgan was the only guy they could find that was all in on Bryce.

The idea that Dan wasn’t onboard with how this roster was constructed is laughable.

1) talent eval was his main job

2) Do we really think Fitt just ignored him on all these major decisions? If you think that, then Dan has zero communication and interpersonal skills and will be steamrolled by Tepper and the coaches.

So we need fist hand info to answer theses questions.There doesn't seem to be much actual info on that front. 

Until some real insight is given I have to go on what I know about Morgan which is mainly from his playing days.Right now I'm all in on Dan Mirgan.

So far all the fix is just the failed parts fixing things.

Tepper/Nicole/Jim Caldwell “finding” the new  GM that was just a guy part of the nightmare.  And if you actually are prioritizing Sportsology to lead you to an answer you don’t bring on Jim Caldwell….and there are tiny odds Sportsology is going to find the answer to our mess inside our mess.  Common sense says that just Teppers/Caldwell steering it. 

and yeah, it all sets up for Morgan to go quick and musical chairs to continue.  Because all the reasons Fitterer shouldn’t have been back this year will largely apply to Morgan.  Morgan helped create this nightmare at the end of the day.  

the love of player Morgan has blinded some folks.  It was a bad hire given what Morgan has been part of and what we have been.  Everything from Caldwell helping to hire has been exactly how you shouldn’t do it.  Textbook Tepper at this point.  More and more it wouldn’t surprise me if Ejiro is the new HC.  Because that’s the path we are on.   

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

21 minutes ago, CRA said:

Tepper/Nicole/Jim Caldwell “finding” the new  GM that was just a guy part of the nightmare.  And if you actually are prioritizing Sportsology to lead you to an answer you don’t bring on Jim Caldwell….and there are tiny odds Sportsology is going to find the answer to our mess inside our mess.  Common sense says that just Teppers/Caldwell steering it. 

and yeah, it all sets up for Morgan to go quick and musical chairs to continue.  Because all the reasons Fitterer shouldn’t have been back this year will largely apply to Morgan.  Morgan helped create this nightmare at the end of the day.  

the love of player Morgan has blinded some folks.  It was a bad hire given what Morgan has been part of and what we have been.  Everything from Caldwell helping to hire has been exactly how you shouldn’t do it.  Textbook Tepper at this point.  More and more it wouldn’t surprise me if Ejiro is the new HC.  Because that’s the path we are on.   

The only way that this hire would make sense is if Morgan has been on the record disagreeing with damn near every personnel move since he's been here and Tepp thought, "If I had listened to this guy, we'd be in great shape." Extremely unlikely.

Edited by Khaki Lackey
  • Beer 2

23 minutes ago, CRA said:

and yeah, it all sets up for Morgan to go quick and musical chairs to continue.  Because all the reasons Fitterer shouldn’t have been back this year will largely apply to Morgan.  Morgan helped great this nightmare at the end of the day.  

the love of your player Morgan has blinded some folks.  It was a bad hire given what Morgan has been part of and what we have been.  Everything from Caldwell helping to the hire has been exactly how you shouldn’t do it.  Textbook Tepper at this point.  More and more it wouldn’t surprise me if Ejiro is the new HC.  Because that’s the path we are on.   

The only people I see happy about this are the wilfully blind, those trying to keep sane & positive, a Panther employee and a bunch of ex-players. Pretty much a huge whomp whomp.

And the 49ers hired the firm when the owner's son/CEO was exhausted with internal strife link about Lynch testing York. Said they were hired by York and an executive. Strangely enough not one mention of Sportsology being in the room. None here either but a few good quotes on the power dynamic walking into that mess. After all of that how can anyo e compare their process with ours? They hired externally, John was on the broadcast of the Falcons playoff game shortly before. They were hired as a pair where Lynch went to meet Shanahan before they both agreed. Sportsology is the only thing they have in common that I can see, everything else was different. Tepper is not ready to change yet is the most obvious difference while York was.

Edited by Waldo