• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Can a QB be “fixed?”

4 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

The mechanics can absolutely be fixed. The footwork can absolutely be fixed.

Not 100% sure we can fix the most important part of the equation which is between his ears. 

The size or arm strength that people harp on, plenty of QB's in the NFL have lacked that and been successful. That just limits your overall ceiling. The hyper focus on that is retarded and it ignores a lot of bigger problems.

Ultimately, I think a lot of this HC hire was the "fix Bryce" mentality. I suspect that will be wildly unsuccessful(as a strategy and in practice).

The most critical component of fixing Bryce is himself. He has to realize his flaws and work to fix them. There are ample amounts of this coaching and expertise around. If he has any designs of this NFL career being more than a minute, he better be deep into his contacts and working on these flaws now.

A lot of posters don't realize how critical footwork is I think. Yeah the Cams and the Josh Allen's used a Canon to make up for bad footwork early but with decent footwork, Young's arm talent is more than enough.

But the problem is if he can't be consistent even when a pocket is breaking down, that's where the issue is. And as you say - that's mental...

He's never gonna get taller or stronger to make up for physical deficiencies but there's still a chance he'll become better.

My big concern is... Okay, he gets better. But how much better?

• Beer 1

14 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

A lot of posters don't realize how critical footwork is I think. Yeah the Cams and the Josh Allen's used a Canon to make up for bad footwork early but with decent footwork, Young's arm talent is more than enough.

But the problem is if he can't be consistent even when a pocket is breaking down, that's where the issue is. And as you say - that's mental...

He's never gonna get taller or stronger to make up for physical deficiencies but there's still a chance he'll become better.

My big concern is... Okay, he gets better. But how much better?

If he truly was an elite processor he could thrive with good weapons. He will never be a Mahomes or Allen or Jackson. But he could be a Goff or Purdy(yes they have more overall arm talent). So his ceiling is elite game manager.

The problem is that it turns out his floor isn't even NFL backup caliber.

He better be doing a lot of soul searching. As much as we set him up for failure, he has a LOT of issues that he personally needs to recognize and correct 

• Pie 3

5 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

If he truly was an elite processor he could thrive with good weapons. He will never be a Mahomes or Allen or Jackson. But he could be a Goff or Purdy(yes they have more overall arm talent). So his ceiling is elite game manager.

The problem is that it turns out his floor isn't even NFL backup caliber.

He better be doing a lot of soul searching. As much as we set him up for failure, he has a LOT of issues that he personally needs to recognize and correct 

Not that it needs to be said, but holy fug they gave up a shitload for a limited game manager type qb.  Its an absolute case study on how to lose your job

• Pie 6
  • Beer 2
  • Poo 1

Of course QBs can be fixed, but the relevant question is can Bryce be fixed? We shall see, but definitely don't keep your hopes up, because unfixable QBs vastly outnumber fixable ones when it comes to the NFL. Keep in mind that there are no miracle turnarounds, and Bryce is as bad as they come. He's starting from a historically low floor in terms of individual talent and physical gifts. It'd be a lot easier to draft better next time.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

On 1/26/2024 at 2:55 PM, mav1234 said:

Several breakdowns through the season asked to the possibility Bryce was missing open guys cause of his height, especially if the pocket wasn't pristine

Can you post some of those? I haven’t seen them. I mainly was watching Qb school breakdowns this year but I didn’t remember JT saying anything about that. Mainly the scheme and receivers being ass

1 minute ago, 0kBoomer said:

Can you post some of those? I haven’t seen them. I mainly was watching Qb school breakdowns this year but I didn’t remember JT saying anything about that. Mainly the scheme and receivers being ass

Clearly you didnt watch them then because he points it out routinely  stop lying

• Poo 1

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Clearly you didnt watch them then because he points it out routinely  stop lying

Dude what is your problem? This is like the third thread you’ve commented on just being an ass for no reason. It’s super weird to assume someone is lying. What do I have to gain by that? I’m legit asking for any links. 

If 'fixed' means becoming mediocre, then sure Byrce can be fixed.   However, it's going to take the entire roster being fixed too.  This has been stated time again that Bryce doesn't have the physical talent to put a lacking team on his back.  In an ideal situation, Young can be an average game manager QB.  We are no where close to an ideal situation.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, 0kBoomer said:

Honestly no. I don't want to go through them again and I didn't save any. It was more towards the middle of the season and I'm 90% sure it came up in JTs a couple times. They're ones that were all linked from here.

Nor were the breakdowns ever all bad, ofc.

On 1/25/2024 at 10:05 PM, The Lobo said:

Not being a jerk, I’m being genuine, what did he do last year that showed he is great? I’m honestly trying to be open minded. 

When I saw your post I thought to myself... college. Someone will bring up college because that’s all there is.

But I agree with them on this, he isn’t broken. He just wasn’t built to play in the NFL. Give him his props, he fooled a LOT of people into thinking he was. 

Edited by strato
  • Pie 4