• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why carolina can not* afford to lose Burns

1 minute ago, Johnstonny said:

I'd say 23mil is fair for both sides if you compare him to this list. Give some contract incentives for 28-30mil and let him decide if hes worth 30.  But yea... .the panther way is to just let him walk..

image.thumb.png.8eb5ad89e964eafa54b89e362333e474.png

are rebuilding team doesn't need to overpay a win now situational player like Brian Burns.  

• Flames 2

4 minutes ago, Johnstonny said:

I'd say 23mil is fair for both sides if you compare him to this list. Give some contract incentives for 28-30mil and let him decide if hes worth 30.  But yea... .the panther way is to just let him walk..

image.thumb.png.8eb5ad89e964eafa54b89e362333e474.png

I agree with this

6 minutes ago, CRA said:

in the end you need them. 

How many all stars did the Houston Texans have on their roster this year?  

we need young talent.  Lots of it.   We need to do an actual rebuild.  Something we haven't done.  At all.  Since Tepper bought the team. 

yes, eventually you need them to put you over the top.to get that ship up the hill, you just need as many workers as possible.

• Pie 1

45 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

It’s a damn shame how often players become the villain when their cheap rookie deal runs out and they want to cash in on their hard work. 

The salary cap is good for parody, but it also causes unreasonable anger toward players who need to make as much as they can before their bodies are broken. 

Burns is not the cream of the crop, but he is an excellent player.

Words like “average” or “liability” get thrown around because of a trade that didn’t happen (not Burns fault) and because his contract is up and lord forbid if he wants to make as much as he can. 

If he wants to have real good faith negotiations then sure.  My problem with him is that he and his agent do not appear willing to do that.  So to me, that makes him a crappy team member.

He's not average.  He's a good, not great player. 

He's demanding great player money and won't back down (at least from our knowledge).    He said he didn't play hard because he didn't have his big deal.   As a fan, that's being a villain.

24 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

Double edged sword. you go out there with no secure future you could end up with 0 million a year.

That double edged sword is there every single snap of a game even if the player is making business decisions. It's the risk they take to get paid to play the game in the first place.

1 hour ago, Johnstonny said:

...welp...let him walk Fitt..

I would have traded him for 2 first.  Fitt messed that up like so many other things.  I would have insisted the Bears take Burns instead of Moore or no deal after Fitt botched the no brainer Rams deal.    The solution to a Fitt mistake isn't to make another mistake.  Where we are, it makes zero sense to dump big money into the type player Burns is. 

I've never had an issue parting w/ players.   A well run team doesn't pay and keep everyone.   

We need to rebuild.  It should of happened in 2020.  It should of happened again in 2023.  We keep failing to do the obvious. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, jayboogieman said:

That double edged sword is there every single snap of a game even if the player is making business decisions. It's the risk they take to get paid to play the game in the first place.

No its not. Once you have signed your 107 million dollar deal with 68 guaranteed your a lot mote secure in your future than playing on the tag.

2 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

No its not. Once you have signed your 107 million dollar deal with 68 guaranteed your a lot mote secure in your future than playing on the tag.

And Burns had already signed a contract and was being paid(16 million) more than most people see in their lifetimes. So, he should have played to his fullest instead of playing not to be injured because he was scared of not signing a huge deal. And his play will now result in him not getting that huge deal he wanted anyway.

Just now, micnificent28 said:

Whatever the board thinks of him. The NFL reguards him as the number 2 available pass rusher behind only Josh Allen who was drafted ahead of him who will likely not hit the market. 

Screenshot_20240130_134838_Chrome.jpg

Good, maybe they can get something out of him after all. This team cannot afford him nor should they try to.

2 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

This IMO is the best move.  Get some picks for him as we are in desperate need of draft capital. 

I agree,  I would rather put the money on these guys who have proven game in and game out they are studs. 

I am still baffled about this move.   You trade away arguably the best offensive weapon in the NFL for literally nothing. No offense to DJ Johnson. We then keep a player we could have used those two first round draft picks to get Young without giving up our 2024 draft pick and DJ Moore.  This could have been used to trade down and fill so many gaps including a top tier DE. 

I’ve said it more than once. The only way some other GM could have done as bad a job as Fitterer was if they purposely tried to make the Panthers worse. It’s scary how bad he actually was and how much talent he drained in just 3 years.

• Pie 1

39 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

And Burns had already signed a contract and was being paid(16 million) more than most people see in their lifetimes. So, he should have played to his fullest instead of playing not to be injured because he was scared of not signing a huge deal. And his play will now result in him not getting that huge deal he wanted anyway.

Your asking him to live by your standards. 1 year 16 million is great but signing a 5 year 107 million with 68 guaranteed is a huge difference in security. I'm not saying His play helped his cause but being healthy is a huge worry for NFL players on a 1 year deal. your risking generational wealth.

41 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Good, maybe they can get something out of him after all. This team cannot afford him nor should they try to.

We not paying a franchise qb yet. and with restructures we could have 40 million in cap space for this coming season. yes we can afford 2 keep him and then some if thats what we decided to do.