• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Brandt Tilis hire official - Executive VP of Football Operations

Mr. Scot

35 minutes ago, magnus said:

Especially trying to remember people from years' past. 

I think it's kinda cool that they actually list these guys out now.  I find it funky there's only one pro scout under two directors of pro scouting (all of which nebulously may be under Adrian Wilson, or Morgan?)

That said it's worth remembering that they just kinda make all these titles up.   Jeff Morrow had a new title every single year, possibly while turning down other jobs, or to reflect new responsibilities, before he went on to be a Senior scout.   Which I 

Everybody has a smattering of area scouts, national scouts.  I'm not sure why Carolina doesn't have someone sent to BLESTO or National services.    But anything above that, the titles are just whatever.   I've spent a lot of time staring at staff pages and I couldn't tell you why a "Player Personnel" guy generally outranks a pro or college director, how a guy like Pat Stewart would be a VP but not be under a President, how several different directors seem to have a head up on others.   

Maybe it's just negotiated, but hierarchy's absolutely just made up and nobody's ever really chosen to make such a thing standardized. 

Yeah, the titles are largely window dressing. The job descriptions are very fluid.

Can't remember if we're still using BLESTO or not. Vaguely remember seeing something about it a little while back but don't remember the specifics.

Pretty sure Morrow is the last holdover from the Richardson regime. He was Director of College Scouting for a while under Marty. His title over the last few years has been one of those "step back" roles that you typically see people take right before they retire, but he's still here 

Can't help feeling that a lot of the current staff could well be reassigned or perhaps restructured out of the building after the Draft. But then again, with an in-house candidate having been given the job, that might be minimized (or maybe not even happen at all).

4 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Yeah, the titles are largely window dressing. The job descriptions are very fluid.

Can't remember if we're still using BLESTO or not. Vaguely remember seeing something about it a little while back but don't remember the specifics.

Pretty sure Morrow is the last holdover from the Richardson regime. He was Director of College Scouting for a while under Marty. His title over the last few years has been one of those "step back" roles that you typically see people take right before they retire, but he's still here 

Can't help feeling that a lot of the current staff could well be reassigned or perhaps restructured out of the building after the Draft. But then again, with an in-house candidate having been given the job, that might be minimized (or maybe not even happen at all).

Question: why would this happen after the draft? Seems it would be imperative you get your new scouting team in place before the draft as to not “waste” another draft. Unless there just isn’t enough time to do that transition in Feb

3 minutes ago, jb2288 said:

Question: why would this happen after the draft? Seems it would be imperative you get your new scouting team in place before the draft as to not “waste” another draft. Unless there just isn’t enough time to do that transition in Feb

Scout team would have been busy all year already. We're only a couple months away from the next draft. I'd say they would need a full year of college ball to get a solid idea of what the field looks like. If you're starting your evaluations now, you're way behind.

• Beer 1

38 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Scout team would have been busy all year already. We're only a couple months away from the next draft. I'd say they would need a full year of college ball to get a solid idea of what the field looks like. If you're starting your evaluations now, you're way behind.

Yeah the scouting is already complete. The only thing that will be different this year is with who is making the picks. 

16 hours ago, jb2288 said:

The college scouting year is draft to draft, so a lot of movement happens in the front office right after the draft.   Scouts, personnel guys, their season is, for the most part 'done' and now you're looking to 2025, but already have some ground work done there I'm sure.   So it's a good time to jump to a new team, it's a good time to fire guys you don't want or hire guys you do. 

In the past - consider Pat Stewart was hired after a draft, Dan Morgan after a draft, Adrian Wilson after a draft.   GMs sometimes get fired with coaches, and you're not going to have a draft with no front office, but for a new GM, that first draft can be a little run-what-you-brung.

Coaches happen right after the season but their contracts technically run league year to league year. 

Edited by magnus
crab rangoon, things of that nature