• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young’s Arm Strength

0kBoomer

On 2/4/2024 at 3:08 PM, LinvilleGorge said:

As for Bryce next year, I do think you have to try to surround him with weapons who are YAC threats. 

That's gonna be tough because Bryce doesn't have the ball placement skills to enable YAC. One step at a time. Bryce needs to first focus on throwing on time, then he needs to focus on throwing catchable balls. Everything else is a luxury at this point.

• Beer 1

3 hours ago, GhostOfDocAnderson said:

That's gonna be tough because Bryce doesn't have the ball placement skills to enable YAC. One step at a time. Bryce needs to first focus on throwing on time, then he needs to focus on throwing catchable balls. Everything else is a luxury at this point.

Ouch, this is true but sad to even have a discussion on since Bryce was the number 1 overall pick. 

• Pie 1

11 hours ago, strato said:

Thew thing is that you ca\n say he made

You are overlooking that the bloat to get the weight up plays a pretty big part in it.

I know he was absolutely consciously taking part in the deception. . 

I know people accept this from the prospects for some reason

I blame the Panthers for not seeing the reality that was banging on the front door, but no one was home. .

The only people he deceived are the folks who were already believers and were viewing through confirmation bias goggles. Lots of us were joking around last year during the combine about Bryce hiding all week in that hoodie with his little school kid backpack. It was a ridiculous look with everyone else there looking like Instagram "models" in tight fitting clothing to show off their physiques.

Screenshot_20240206-093130.thumb.png.26196325f2df6b778d7d5955703e78dc.png

• Pie 2

22 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Agreed. The hope is that Young can become a Burrow-Lite with the right cast around him. Burrow started off with Higgins, Boyd, and Mixon. Of course Chase made him next level. 

The issue is you don’t want the number one pick to be “anyone”-lite.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

The issue is you don’t want the number one pick to be “anyone”-lite.

Agreed. The spot where we took him can’t be changed. Hopefully he can develop into our QB. If not we will just have to try to draft one again.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

27 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Agreed. The spot where we took him can’t be changed. Hopefully he can develop into our QB. If not we will just have to try to draft one again.

As negative (or doubtful) as I feel toward him, I also want him to succeed too. He seems like a good kid, and I (of course) want our Panthers to be competitive every Sunday. 

Your attitude is the sensible one. Can’t change the past. Hope for the best present. Make a change in the future if necessary. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

23 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

As negative (or doubtful) as I feel toward him, I also want him to succeed too. He seems like a good kid, and I (of course) want our Panthers to be competitive every Sunday. 

Your attitude is the sensible one. Can’t change the past. Hope for the best present. Make a change in the future if necessary. 

This. Just because I very seriously doubt that Bryce can succeed doesn't mean I won't be very happy to be wrong about it.

• Beer 3

21 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

If you had to guess, what would you honestly give his chances of succeeding with the new coach and system given you already know his challenges we cant overcome like size? I want to be optimistic and he seems like a great guy so I would LOVE to see him succeed but its so hard for me to see it happening with what I saw of him this season combined with his physical limitations.

Just now, Ricky Prickles said:

If you had to guess, what would you honestly give his chances of succeeding with the new coach and system given you already know his challenges we cant overcome like size? I want to be optimistic and he seems like a great guy so I would LOVE to see him succeed but its so hard for me to see it happening with what I saw of him this season combined with his physical limitations.

I feel like he can be an average starter over the long term assuming there are always above-average teams and coaching around him, but in the vein of Teddy and not enough to routinely compete with the best. That said, if that is what happens, a team has to be ready to move on beyond that a la Smith and Mahomes, who of course has been so much better than anyone could have predicted.

If he develops beyond that, then everyone wins and I'll be the first to say I was wrong.

• Beer 2

6 minutes ago, KSpan said:

I feel like he can be an average starter over the long term assuming there are always above-average teams and coaching around him, but in the vein of Teddy and not enough to routinely compete with the best. That said, if that is what happens, a team has to be ready to move on beyond that a la Smith and Mahomes, who of course has been so much better than anyone could have predicted.

If he develops beyond that, then everyone wins and I'll be the first to say I was wrong.

That's a good assessment. I was thinking along those lines as as well. He seems like his benchmark would be Teddy, good comparison there also. Not great for a number 1 pick and for so much given up obviously but I hope I am wrong as well.

8 minutes ago, KSpan said:

This is the worst case scenario. Purgatory. I want him to boom or keep busting this year. Make it clear. Either you're the guy or you're not. Don't leave us wondering.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This is the worst case scenario. Purgatory. I want him to boom or keep busting this year. Make it clear. Either you're the guy or you're not. Don't leave us wondering.

he's going to have enough garbage time 4th quarters to give a certain segment a reason to believe he's not the primary cause of a 3 win season. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Agreed, but given how big some of his technical deficiencies were last year around footwrok and things like that I don't know that we'll be fortunate enough for it to play out that way. I think he'll make some incremental improvements and look fairly similar to how he looked last year, but if there is a better team/better coaching around then it will get conflated with him showing more potential and getting another year. To summon the spirit of John Fox, it is what it is at this point.

4 minutes ago, KSpan said:

Agreed, but given how big some of his technical deficiencies were last year around footwrok and things like that I don't know that we'll be fortunate enough for it to play out that way. I think he'll make some incremental improvements and look fairly similar to how he looked last year, but if there is a better team/better coaching around then it will get conflated with him showing more potential and getting another year. To summon the spirit of John Fox, it is what it is at this point.

It's definitely very possible but I hope not. Ball out or suck ass is my hope. That's what we need. Clarity.

• Beer 1