• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Just when you thought it couldn't get worse, Fox, ESPN, and WB are launching a joint venture sports streaming service

3 minutes ago, Cary Kollins said:

Why is this bad again?

It's another service that fractures the market and forces people to pay for just a tiny amount of content they want to watch. Also, considering it's Disney and WB/Discovery behind this, it'll probably highly overpriced too.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

It's a la carte consumption.  I prefer that that to a one size fits all cable or satellite service. I did both (one or the other) for years.  Before I cut the cord, my BASIC--BARE BONES-- Direct TV bill got up to $180 per month.

• Pie 3

I hate Disney so fuggin much for taking my money like this…

Expect a ridiculous amount of commercials after you pay your premium fee.

Max and especially Hulu are terrible with commercials 

Edited by Shocker
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, jayboogieman said:

It's another service that fractures the market and forces people to pay for just a tiny amount of content they want to watch. Also, considering it's Disney and WB/Discovery behind this, it'll probably highly overpriced too.

(Also posted in Nerdvana)

it’s not an exclusive service. If you have access to ESPN or the other sports channels via other subscriptions, then you won’t need this one.

but if you’re looking for sports (like March Madness) and have cut the cord, this is another way to watch TNT/TBS games .

interesting that NBC and CBS didn’t participate.

• Pie 1

30 minutes ago, Shocker said:

I hate Disney so fuggin much for taking my money like this…

Expect a ridiculous amount of commercials after you pay your premium fee.

Max and especially Hulu are terrible with commercials 

Expect commercials with live sports regardless. Can’t fast forward through timeouts or tennis breaks between sets

• Pie 3

56 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

It's a la carte consumption.  I prefer that that to a one size fits all cable or satellite service. I did both (one or the other) for years.  Before I cut the cord, my BASIC--BARE BONES-- Direct TV bill got up to $180 per month.

Blame the channels, not the providers.

theres a terrific history of ESPN book that explains the origin of the channel (in this case, ESPN) holding their content hostage for a higher royalty rate per subscriber from the cable company

the cable companies want to keep their rates low, but are forced to pass along the carriage fees requested from the channels to the consumers. It’s a system that’s worked for decades until the fees became so large that consumers became fed up

• Pie 2

A dedicated streaming service for All Sports Content isn’t a bad idea as it eliminates one question of “which service do I need to watch XXXXX?”  In this case, almost everything will be here.

Ex: for the NFL you’ll get all the FOX, ABC, and ESPN games in a single app (subject to local broadcast rules as always)