• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Offensive Playmaker vs BPA

Bear Hands

On 2/18/2024 at 3:37 PM, jayboogieman said:

Morgan and Co will end up drafting for perceived offensive need instead of BPA.

Luckily, I can see that aligning this year with guys like Troy Franklin, Adonai Mitchell, & McConkey being right around the 33rd pick value wise.  

Guys like Latu or Darius Robinson on Defense would be legit.   Jordan Morgan, Powers-Johnson, or Suamatai on the OL as well.  I'd be very interested to see how scouts stack those types & the WRs up against each other grade wise.  

• Pie 3

It's got to be BPA. We have so many MPAs (Meh-est Player Available) in our roster that anyone of quality at any position is going to be a plus. And this is a fill in the team draft time not a go after our guy one (not that we should ever do that again).

Honestly the only positions where we couldn't improve by draft picks right now are kicker and punter. We're good there. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

2 hours ago, MHS831 said:

If we take OL WR CB or Edge in the first, I will understand.

If we take a long snapper, K, P, TE, or RB in the first, I will be sending Morgan an angry letter--that you can be sure of.

We don't have a first.

2 hours ago, MHS831 said:

If we take OL WR CB or Edge in the first, I will understand.

If we take a long snapper, K, P, TE, or RB in the first, I will be sending Morgan an angry letter--that you can be sure of.

As CSX pointed out we don't have a first round pick.

I'm definitely on board with taking OL or WR @ #33. I do disagree with your Take on TE. I can see getting upset if we took a JAG. If we could find a Kelce, LaPorta,  or Kittles type talent then I could understand why the FO would consider it.

A solid TE acts a security blanket on 3rd an short.

Our QB doesn't have the strongest arm. A solid TE can work the intermediate area of the field where Bryce is more effective.

A solid TE is usually a scoring threat in the redzone.

A solid TE usually helps the running game.

If he could find a TE who could catch 70-75 passes, score 6-8 TDs, and go over 800 yards for the season he would be well worth the 33rd pick of the draft. 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Bear Hands said:

Luckily, I can see that aligning this year with guys like Troy Franklin, Adonai Mitchell, & McConkey being right around the 33rd pick value wise.  

Guys like Latu, Trice, or Darius Robinson on Defense would be legit.   Jordan Morgan, Powers-Johnson, or Suamatai on the OL as well.  I'd be very interested to see how scouts stack those types & the WRs up against each other grade wise.  

There will be a WR there to draft at #33, that's not what is bothering me.  The problem is we'll take one and the next one off the board will be the OROY.

Edited by 45catfan
  • Pie 2
  • Flames 1

We have options at WR, guys.  I have no idea what everyone is anxious over, outside of the fact the Carolina Panthers suck at drafting WRs...especially in the second round.

image.png.460cb975d06c2b3c3d6eb4a741cee1e4.png

Big board ranked 27-44

image.png.d519f143b372b3496fdde621a97b6d2c.png

image.png.c36a07e4713938c9b46ebbe5afca9eee.png

image.thumb.png.0f6aef69f5919c1e317dcb31c23f598d.png

Again, there are plenty of options at WR, we just have to choose the RIGHT one of those remaining.

• Beer 1

Canales being here brings a new change to an old program. His scheme alone should improve the offense. But honestly we could take a player at almost any position except safety with the holes we have. 

The most important would be a lineman imo. Canales will drill that release by 2.7 second theory into Bryce's head like he did Baker. The line has to be able to hold for those 3 seconds though. Also....an OL pick instantly improves every offensive position. 

If we address need in FA somehow, then BPA is the plan. Having the first pick in the 2nd round should get us alot of offers. Expect the trade down. 

• Pie 1

19 minutes ago, ColumbusCounty said:

Canales being here brings a new change to an old program. His scheme alone should improve the offense. But honestly we could take a player at almost any position except safety with the holes we have. 

The most important would be a lineman imo. Canales will drill that release by 2.7 second theory into Bryce's head like he did Baker. The line has to be able to hold for those 3 seconds though. Also....an OL pick instantly improves every offensive position. 

If we address need in FA somehow, then BPA is the plan. Having the first pick in the 2nd round should get us alot of offers. Expect the trade down. 

I hope so, unless there's a run on WRs.

13 hours ago, SCO96 said:

As CSX pointed out we don't have a first round pick.

I'm definitely on board with taking OL or WR @ #33. I do disagree with your Take on TE. I can see getting upset if we took a JAG. If we could find a Kelce, LaPorta,  or Kittles type talent then I could understand why the FO would consider it.

A solid TE acts a security blanket on 3rd an short.

Our QB doesn't have the strongest arm. A solid TE can work the intermediate area of the field where Bryce is more effective.

A solid TE is usually a scoring threat in the redzone.

A solid TE usually helps the running game.

If he could find a TE who could catch 70-75 passes, score 6-8 TDs, and go over 800 yards for the season he would be well worth the 33rd pick of the draft. 

The problem being it's a super weak TE class.  I would normally be on board with this.  LaPorta has lived up to the billing where he was drafted, but Kelce an Kittle were late round gems.  Kinda like saying we are going to find our starting QB in the 6th or 7th round because Brady and Purdy are evidence it can be done.  We are going to have to find a TE in FA or hope a day 3 guy can turn into Kelce or Kittle lite.  Absolutely zero reason to draft a TE in the second or third round due to the positional weakness this draft cycle.

• Pie 1