• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Getting Crunch Time for the Panthers and Brian Burns

45catfan

What to do with Burns?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Burns should be

• Frachised tagged
    • Transitional tagged
    • Re-singed to a top 5 Edge contract
    • Traded for draft capital or player(s)
    • Let test free agency and if signed away, at least get a high comp pick in 2025

If we intend to keep him and feel the open market will determine his value and not his agent, then the transiton tag might be the best move, if you are willing to wave "bye bye."  I am confident some team with cap room and 1 or 2 needs might overpay.  However, free agency has been rather subdued recently.   I am not sure if that impacts conditional draft picks, I do not think it does, so we know we'd probably get a third for him if we play free agency right.  If we want to trade him, the franchise tag is the way to go, and the way I think we go.  In my opinion, he would be overpaid on the franchise tag.   My answer:  Franchise tag and try to trade him and get some future picks.
""

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

I suppose trading him is my preference but I think it's pretty unlikely we get anything noteworthy for him given the contract he thinks hes worth.

rather indifferent. If Morgan meant what he said I don't see him fitting the description of the type of player he mentioned wanting. 

Edited by csx

3 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

good question.  I am torn.

I want to say franchise tag (non-exlusive) but I don't think he's going to get as much interest to warrant the two first rounders in that trade.  I think we lose in a transitional tag battle.

To me, it's best to find a trade partner before the deadline.

1 minute ago, MHS831 said:

I did not see the last two options for some reason--I would trade him for draft capital if I could get a first for him

Not going to get a first for him. We just saw better players at his position go for seconds and less. Trade him for whatever they can get for him and be done with it.

• Pie 3
  • Poo 2

Burns did not put up the numbers but he did not have a lot of heat on the other side, allowing offensive blocking schemes to focus on him.  However, he has not earned elite money.  I just worry that if he leaves, our CBs suddenly get worse and our D becomes a problem while fixing the offense.  He is a player, but you have to think of the players you won't get if you pay him.

If you transition tag him and lose him, do you still get a comp pick for him?  

2 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I did not see the last two options for some reason--I would trade him for draft capital if I could get a first for him

Quick trigger on the submit button (a problem I have ) so I had to go back and finish the rest of the poll.  My bad.

I’d rather trade him because just like CMC he’s not going to put us over the top. He needs to be next to other talented players.

If we overpay for him I don’t think it’s the worst thing in the world, at least he’ll have the security but he’s just too in between to be an elite edge. Maybe front load his contract and hope we can extend him for cheaper if/when a SB window opens up and he’s failed to be impactful. 

4 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Burns did not put up the numbers but he did not have a lot of heat on the other side, allowing offensive blocking schemes to focus on him.  However, he has not earned elite money.  I just worry that if he leaves, our CBs suddenly get worse and our D becomes a problem while fixing the offense.  He is a player, but you have to think of the players you won't get if you pay him.

If you transition tag him and lose him, do you still get a comp pick for him?  

Hmmm....unsure about that. They didn't technically didn't hit free agency, but you also lost a high value player to another team, which is what the compensatory process is all about.