• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Upcoming: 2024 NFL Combine

45catfan

I don't like that Caleb played worse this year than last. I don't like that he declined to play the Bowl game, and his replacement absolutely KILLED it in his stead. I don't like that he's declining the medical exam. Maybe afraid his blood test will show something? I don't like he's declining to throw at the combine. 

The only top QB to decline last year from throwing was Bryce. Not a great precedent.

Edited by 96Bravo

4 minutes ago, 96Bravo said:

I don't like that Caleb played worse this year than last. I don't like that he declined to play the Bowl game, and his replacement absolutely KILLED it in his stead. I don't like that he's declining the medical exam. Maybe afraid his blood test will show something? I don't like he's declining to throw at the combine. 

The only top QB to decline last year from throwing was Bryce. Not a great precedent.

Wake me up when a Lincoln Riley QB doesn't kill it. Williams has super intriguing talent. He has a helluva arm, is a good scrambler, and a GREAT thrower on the move. My big concerns with him are the diva attitude and that he holds the ball forever. Like FOREVER. 

I think he's complete boom or bust. He's gonna be great or he's gonna be a bust. I don't see a lot of room for gray area in between. Either his game will translate or it won't.

• Flames 1

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Wake me up when a Lincoln Riley QB doesn't kill it. Williams has super intriguing talent. He has a helluva arm, is a good scrambler, and a GREAT thrower on the move. My big concerns with him are the diva attitude and that he holds the ball forever. Like FOREVER. 

I think he's complete boom or bust. He's gonna be great or he's gonna be a bust. I don't see a lot of room for gray area in between. Either his game will translate or it won't.

Exactly. The skills are undeniable. The attitude and competitive nature are highly questionable. 

21 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Possibly. But I doubt we 're #1 overall if we'd just played Andy Dalton all season. Probably not top 3. Maybe not top 5.

I wouldn't trade Stroud for any rookie this year. Not after seeing what he did on an NFL field. I bet the Texans wouldn't either.

Stroud wasn't the #1 pick and most teams had Young as the #1 QB.  Point being, the first overall pick doesn't mean you get the best player in the long run.  This year we could draft a rookie QB at any point in the first round IF we still had our pick.  Chances are a QB taken later will outperform some of the higher drafted QBs.  Mahomes was not the #1 overall pick, neither was Jackson, Allen etc...  Only a few #1 overall picks at QB still start, most are backups at this point in their careers or have washed out of the League completely.  Besides Young, there are 5 others and Stafford is on the down swing and probably will retire soon.  Murray is mid-level as is Mayfield.  Goff has rebounded nicely, but was shaky for a while.  Then you have Lawrence and Burrow.  Burrow showing the most by far of the former #1s.

Again, the trade last year to move up was horrible and I think set us back at least 3 years.

When was the last time a potential #1 overall QB came off as unlikable as Caleb Williams.  I sure wouldn’t want to draft this kid.  It’s not confidence.  He seems like a giant tool that made too much money already…

Or maybe it’s just me 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

6 hours ago, jfra78 said:

If hes available in the third, I hope we pick him.  I'm not gonna say he's Luke, but he sure seems to be in on every play

They comped him to Luke.  His medical is the only reason he's not a late 1st rounder.  No way he lasts until the 3rd, especially after his Combine performance.

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

When was the last time a potential #1 overall QB came off as unlikable as Caleb Williams.  I sure wouldn’t want to draft this kid.  It’s not confidence.  He seems like a giant tool that made too much money already…

Or maybe it’s just me 

Nah, he's a tool.  I get not wanting to do medicals for too many teams, but being the first to decline shows serious arrogance. 

• Pie 1

14 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Stroud wasn't the #1 pick and most teams had Young as the #1 QB.  Point being, the first overall pick doesn't mean you get the best player in the long run.  This year we could draft a rookie QB at any point in the first round IF we still had our pick.  Chances are a QB taken later will outperform some of the higher drafted QBs.  Mahomes was not the #1 overall pick, neither was Jackson, Allen etc...  Only a few #1 overall picks at QB still start, most are backups at this point in their careers or have washed out of the League completely.  Besides Young, there are 5 others and Stafford is on the down swing and probably will retire soon.  Murray is mid-level as is Mayfield.  Goff has rebounded nicely, but was shaky for a while.  Then you have Lawrence and Burrow.  Burrow showing the most by far of the former #1s.

Again, the trade last year to move up was horrible and I think set us back at least 3 years.

But why was Young considered by so many to be the #1 QB? It never made sense to me. There were red flags EVERYWHERE with the guy. His size. His arm talent. His footwork. Everyone just got so enamored with the person and the idea that he was such a football savant that all the red flags wouldn't matter. I got heckled every time I brought up the questions pre-draft. Oh, so all the football experts are wrong??? Yeah.

• Flames 1

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

But why was Young considered by so many to be the #1 QB? It never made sense to me. There were red flags EVERYWHERE with the guy. His size. His arm talent. His footwork. Everyone just got so enamored with the person and the idea that he was such a football savant that all the red flags wouldn't matter. I got heckled every time I brought up the questions pre-draft. Oh, so all the football experts are wrong??? Yeah.

I was a stand firm guy at #9...as you know, BUT I said if we did move up Stroud was the guy.  Young is a cerebral player and I guess folks thought that would mitigate his size disadvantage.  I thought his deep ball was average and couldn't make all the throws, especially the deep outs in college.  While he scrambled a bit more a 'Bama, he was never going to be a running threat.  He has shocked me in being more durable than I thought.  Young's ceiling, to me, is Kyler Murray.  That's if he ever hits it.

5 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

I was a stand firm guy at #9...as you know, BUT I said if we did move up Stroud was the guy.  Young is a cerebral player and I guess folks thought that would mitigate his size disadvantage.  I thought his deep ball was average and couldn't make all the throws, especially the deep outs in college.  While he scrambled a bit more a 'Bama, he was never going to be a running threat.  He has shocked me in being more durable than I thought.  Young's ceiling, to me, is Kyler Murray.  That's if he ever hits it.

Kyler Murray is far superior physically. He has a good NFL arm and is one of the best overall athletes playing QB in the NFL today. They're just not comparable at all.

Bryce's ceiling might be Gardner Minshew. 

Just think about it this way. If Bryce was a mid-round pick instead of a #1 overall trade up pick, is there any doubt that we'd be looking to move on? Bryce is the guy this coming year based on draft status and the investment we made in him. That's pretty much it.

• Pie 1