• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Are we low-key tanking? Donnelly thinks we're half-tanking.

Interesting theory, maybe with some elements of truth.

Do y'all think that the FO is accepting our fate for 2024---taking the maximum direct impacts to the cap---in order to really begin the resurrection process in earnest for 2025?

As an aside (I said something similar last year) some of you better roll back your expectations for your own sanity. The coming season is not looking good. In some ways, it may be worse than the last. I hope not. But if Burns ultimately plays on the tag and we don't have any money and possess as little picks as we do, no one should expect much. We're going to have to take joy in baby steps and falling down, trying to get up and falling down. I mean we're going to need magic and miracles to even fool ourselves this year. 

If Tim Donnelly's theory is right, then perhaps we'll see an offense that takes baby steps forward, even if it is at the expense of the defense. I wonder what Evero will think.

• Pie 2

It's not really possible in the NFL and this team is already bare bones.  

We need to start developing some of those...what do you call it...cornerstone players again.  We got so used to so many for a while and now we have jack sh*t.  

Need a substantial turnaround, need to start hitting draft picks, need to finally have a competent offense for once in nearly a decade.  

• Pie 5

Just now, CRA said:

Panthers have been half tanking since Tepper arrived. Don’t see how this is a hot take. 

If they have, it's been by mistake. This would be the first time that we've done it purposely during Tepper's ownership. The fact that he would rubberstamp this or even embrace it would be akin to a paradigm shift in his bald head. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

I see tanking as purposely losing to get a draft pick.

I'm not sure that's what we are trying. If we are rebuilding a foundation then I hope that's what we are doing.  I believe they will try to win but with the hopefully the understanding that  freak out acquisitions won't help.

• Beer 2

6 minutes ago, CRA said:

Panthers have been half tanking since Tepper arrived. Don’t see how this is a hot take. 

They've been constanty making panic moves thinking they would become winners.

• Pie 4
  • Flames 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, csx said:

I see tanking as purposely losing to get a draft pick.

I'm not sure that's what we are trying. If we are rebuilding a foundation then I hope that's what we are doing.  I believe they will try to win but with the hopefully the understanding that  freak out acquisitions won't help.

Not that I totally agree with you, because I see tanking as sacrificing a season (as well) in order to get better via the draft, but Donnelly expressly mentioned having the best draft position each round as being a part of the FO's thinking. 

Edited by top dawg

When you have $12M in cap space and need like $6M for rookie signings, might as well just let all the bs contracts expire. Cutting Donte saves $10M, you still need to put in at least $6-8m for a CB2 to replace him. Extending anyone besides Moton makes no sense unless they actually do get a Burns deal done. Just take it on the chin for a year, it's not really tanking aside from actively forcing Bryce to be the QB1 which has more to do with Teppers ego than any desire to actually be a good team 

• Pie 8
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Not that I totally agree with you, because I see tanking as sacrificing a season (as well) in order to get better via the draft, but Donnelly expressly mentioned having the best draft position each round as being a part of the FO's thinking. 

I just don't see rebuilding as tanking being the same thing.  The good franchises aren't victims of draft position. They regularly draft at the end of the first and find good players. 

We need to hope we we can fill our roster with the types of players the Ravens, Chiefs, Bills, etc find. Because picking top 10 hasn't worked for us or the other bottom feeders. 

• Beer 1

11 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Funny thing is if they dump all resources into making the offense better and Bryce still sucks, Tepper still looks like an idiot and Canales will get canned for not being the QB whisperer. 

I doubt that would be enough to dump Canales. Tepper is going to have to show patience or his reputation will get even worse and nobody in their right mind would come here next. And if we suck again we get that top 10 draft pick to let Morgan and Canales their shot at picking a QB in the draft. But then the offense would be better able to support the next guy instead of what happened with Young.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1