• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Lawn mower thread

Lame Duck

Dont know your budget but theres nothing wrong with going with Lowes or HD- I bought a 22 hp craftsman 46 inch cut from Lowes a couple years ago and it has been a decent mower.  I have a couple acres to mow.  I do all my own maintenance - make sure you get the manuals for your mower - the big boxes are pretty good about free delivery but have a bad habit of delivering the goods without the accompanying operation/service manuals -  then you have to go through a ton of bs to get it like I did. Make sure you check out the specific engine online before you buy it.  Some of them have problems that could come back to haunt you.  I think it was Kohler engines that had a cracking issue a few years back.  I would definitely get one with a hydrostatic transmission - can really cut you mowing time and if you can get one with a tight turn radius do so.

• Pie 1

39 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

I'd go with an electric.

Lowes

HD

No thanks.  I have EGO and I need two batteries to mow my yard.  Batteries last only 1.5 years and new battery is $450 so I need to spend $900 every 1.5-2 years just on batteries alone.  I’m actually switching back to gas.  I’m also on my 2nd EGO because first one died due to electrical issue and I was out of warranty.  I spent $3k on electrical lawn mower in 3 years.  I’m looking to get riding lawn mower on gasoline.  The reason I’m thinking dealer because Lowe’s and HD hold zero responsibility once they sell you the mower and tell you to go to dealer for fixes and maintenance.  The dealers tend to stand behind their product much better and will take care of their customers first before Lowe’s or HD customers.

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, Lame Duck said:

No thanks.  I have EGO and I need two batteries to mow my yard.  Batteries last only 1.5 years and new battery is $450 so I need to spend $900 every 1.5-2 years just on batteries alone.  I’m actually switching back to gas.  I’m also on my 2nd EGO because first one died due to electrical issue and I was out of warranty.  I spent $3k on electrical lawn mower in 3 years.  I’m looking to get riding lawn mower on gasoline.  The reason I’m thinking dealer because Lowe’s and HD hold zero responsibility once they sell you the mower and tell you to go to dealer for fixes and maintenance.  The dealers tend to stand behind their product much better and will take care of their customers first before Lowe’s or HD customers.

Ouch. Yeah, that would suck.

16 hours ago, Lame Duck said:

Thinking about getting riding lawn mower.  Any recommendations?  Should I use Lowe’s/Home Depot or local dealer?

My old man was the small engine guy at an Ace Hardware and if I was going to buy gas powered lawn equipment thats where I would shop.

Even after he retired it was still the best service Ive ever had with that kind of equipment and the franchises tend to be locally owned.

• Pie 2

Spend the extra money and purchase the highest grade residential Exmark. Mine has lasted years with regular maintenance. Fabricated deck not stamped and serviceable rear drives is a must. 

• Pie 1

32 minutes ago, Cullenator said:

My old man was the small engine guy at an Ace Hardware and if I was going to buy gas powered lawn equipment thats where I would shop.

Even after he retired it was still the best service Ive ever had with that kind of equipment and the franchises tend to be locally owned.

Yeah if ace sells big riders- here they don't.  But I bought my stihl chainsaw at ace about 17 years ago and they have always had a guy in the repair shop who can get it going/repaired when I couldn't or didn't feel like messing with it.

Edited by Paa Langfart

1 hour ago, Cullenator said:

Thank you!  Completely forgot about Ace Hardware.  I will give em a visit tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Lame Duck said:

Thank you!  Completely forgot about Ace Hardware.  I will give em a visit tomorrow.

Ace has Toro zero turn mowers, they’re made by Exmark and equal in reliability. Steer clear of Craftsman. Don’t buy from Lowe’s or Home Depot. The mowers they have are cheap regardless of manufacturer. The models Lowe’s,  etc have are manufactured for them specifically with cheap parts. 

It depends on how much you have to mow also. I have a small farm with lots of mowing to do. If you live in a subdivision with a small lot, one from Lowe’s would suit you well.

Edited by OHYO
  • Pie 1

Most of them will last if you do the Maintenance and treat them well.  I bought a Yard Machine el cheapo riding mower when I bought my house back in 1998.  It lasted until the Covid epidemic.  

Regarding Home Depot/Lowes, they are fine if you are going to do the maintenance yourself.  Getting maintenance done by a shop can be a pain though.  They give people who bought their own mowers, or a brand they sell first priority.  So if you are good at doing the maintenance, then Lowes is fine.  

Edited by Davidson Deac II
  • Pie 1

Posted (edited)

My yard is only 1/2 an acre but no trees so pain in the ass to mow it during summer days with no shade and with 22 inch electric mower.  Once electrical mower battery goes to 30% it switches to turtle speed so it becomes push mower.

Edited by Lame Duck