• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers not expected to tender Smith-Marsette

Bad move imo... ISM is/was one of the few bright spots on Offense. 

Hell we had 2 wins and dude was still running his ass off every snap.  And one of the few players that actually showed explosive ability. 

AND he's probably our biggest return threat since Tedd Ginn Jr. Sure let's create another hole.

Also makes me wonder if they're targeting Ainias Smith in the 3-4 range. 

Surely your not drafting Xavier Worthy or Keon Coleman to revamp your WR room and then placing them on punt duty.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Just now, top dawg said:

Sorry, 3 mil is rich for Smith-Marsette. Plus, there's still a chance that we bring him back. I fully expect us to draft a couple of receivers in the draft, and possibly even a RB. Some of these day 2 guys have experience returning kicks. Keep in mind that Smith-Marsette wasn't drafted until the 5th round. Dude has been on 3 rosters so far, and that doesn't even include KC. 

I mean, the cap is massive these days. It's a couple million more than veteran minimum.

The Panthers will have to pay someone to do the job. That will either come from a draft pick, an unknown, or a free agent that for some reason actually wants to play for the worst team in the league. I expect any free agents brought in will have to be overpaid and overpromised.

Just now, top dawg said:

So much hand wringing over a slightly above average return man...

It's just one more hole created. The Panthers have a history with butterfinger bottom-of-the-barrel returners.

Not tendering isn't necessarily saying they don't have plans to resign them.  You have to pay cap upfront for the right of first refusal.  I wouldn't look at it as "They don't want them" just not paying cap to negotiate against themselves essentially.  Would have to be some miracle level of FA period to not have ISM back imo.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, Navy_football said:

Man I agree 100%! Somebody should have definitely made him more of an option during the season. Politics of the game...

Facts!!! Thielen spoke so highly of him and you could tell it was genuine. He saw in himself in him as a dude flying under the radar. I'm sure Canales spotted him while going through the tape. Our offense was so bad and he definitely  flashed more than anybody outside of Adam. 

• Beer 1