• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Congrats to Dan Morgan

Kick

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

Am I missing something? All he has done is extend JJ and tag Burns so he doesn’t walk for free? 
Beane loved him and Buffalo did great when he was there with Beane. Fitt loved him and we were awful with Fitt. Hopefully he can see the what the difference was. I’ll say this as a positive, Buffalo’s draft haven’t been as good since he left for what’s it’s worth…

I mean, it's going to take excelling as the Panthers GM to excite me. I don't think that's an out of the ordinary expectation on my part.

• Pie 2

53 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I mean, it's going to take excelling as the Panthers GM to excite me. I don't think that's an out of the ordinary expectation on my part.

No that’s fair. Just the “more of the same” comment has me confused because he hasn’t done anything yet being that it’s insanely early in the offseason. I’m all for waiting and see before getting excited about him or anyone as the GM. It will take a lot of work to get this franchise turned back around…

6 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

No that’s fair. Just the “more of the same” comment has me confused because he hasn’t done anything yet being that it’s insanely early in the offseason. I’m all for waiting and see before getting excited about him or anyone as the GM. It will take a lot of work to get this franchise turned back around…

I mean most teams don't fire their GM for doing a terrible job just to promote that GM's assistant. Every team delegates their duties differently but our GM situation was terrible from scouting to contracts to trades to whatever else they do so whatever his role was he didn't do a good job at it under Fitt. 

• Pie 2

Because it is Dan Morgan, I am doing the benefit of the doubt on this one. He proved himself everywhere from  U of Miami to Panther player to scout to exec and the one failure is here, and he was not in charge for that. I’ll give him one year in charge no question. 

but that’s the only reason.

Edited by strato
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

25 minutes ago, strato said:

Because it is Dan Morgan, I am doing the benefit of the doubt on this one. He proved himself everywhere from  U of Miami to Panther player to scout to exec and the one failure is here, and he was not in charge for that. I’ll give him one year in charge no question. 

but that’s the only reason.

The big concern is going to be the consistent one. Is Tepper really the one pulling the strings? 

I think that is going to hover over the organization for the foreseeable future.

• Pie 4

8 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Our chances are already fading hard if we're being honest. Morgan and Canales got the jobs in no small part because they very likely got feedback that bigger fish had less than zero interest. We're down two scores inside the two minute warning with no timeouts needing a score and an onside kick recover just to have a shot.

Well, that's one way of looking at it.

We choose the perspective.

28 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

The big concern is going to be the consistent one. Is Tepper really the one pulling the strings? 

I think that is going to hover over the organization for the foreseeable future.

Yes.  I personally think it can be beneficial if an owner is engaged but not overly involved.   Tepper has a right to know what is going on but outside of agreeing milestone events he has no business being the decision maker for personnel decisions, coaches strategies etc...

I am good with him asking questions and signing off on events when it comes to say tagging Burns or trading the farm to move up to #1 and draft a QB.  But he is not knowledgeable enough to give the pointed directives to tag a specific player or trade assets to draft a specific player. There is a fine line between engaged and meddling but right now the Teppers are on the wrong side of said line.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, Pejorative Miscreant said:

Yes.  I personally think it can be beneficial if an owner is engaged but not overly involved.   Tepper has a right to know what is going on but outside of agreeing milestone events he has no business being the decision maker for personnel decisions, coaches strategies etc...

I am good with him asking questions and signing off on events when it comes to say tagging Burns or trading the farm to move up to #1 and draft a QB.  But he is not knowledgeable enough to give the pointed directives to tag a specific player or trade assets to draft a specific player. There is a fine line between engaged and meddling but right now the Teppers are on the wrong side of said line.

Unfortunately, I believe he will one up Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder when it comes to player personnel meddling.

• Pie 1

7 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

I mean most teams don't fire their GM for doing a terrible job just to promote that GM's assistant. Every team delegates their duties differently but our GM situation was terrible from scouting to contracts to trades to whatever else they do so whatever his role was he didn't do a good job at it under Fitt. 

I get all of that. I just don’t get critiquing what he has done so far as GM? It’s way to early for that…

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

I get all of that. I just don’t get critiquing what he has done so far as GM? It’s way to early for that…

53 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I am fine waiting for the offseason to conclude before commenting on how he is doing.

That's all fair and one way to go about it, but for me the clock has started. Admittedly, I may give him less of a honeymoon period because of who he was, the Assistant GM of the worst period in team history, but I will also probably give him a little more grace because of who he is, a notable, hard-nosed ex linebacker for the home team also. For me, his past ties to the organization are the only reason that I didn't declare "foul," upon his hire. So, admittedly, my gaze is upon him and my ears piqued as to his every movement.

The first major thing he has done is tag Burns. It's easy to say that was the right move, but we must admit that it has basically destroyed this year's cap, and it wasn't really a courageous move (most GMs would likely have done it). But now, what's the plan that goes with it? What is plan A, B and C if things go south? Time may reveal, but in the meantime the clock has already begun. 

• Beer 1

8 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah that should be like the warning on cigarettes, Caution: Do Not Disable Anti Owner-Tampering Mechanism.

I’m probably worrying about Canales more than Morgan because he sounds like his voice hasn’t changed yet, and if talking and hugging is gonna do it. He made some comments I wonder about where he is really coming from and was he gonna be tough. 

I just don’t know enough about him. There is also a lot to like. 

My rare optimism stems from the pairing and history between the Canales and Morgan duo. It appears we have alignment in all the ways that we need a GM and HC to be aligned; probably for the first time since Gettleman and Rivera had their good year. I guess Rhule and Hurney had it lol. So these two could be aligned totally on with each other and off like hell re the league. 

I think there is a possibility that by being a repellent to coaches seen as the top guys, Tepper stumbled into a good thing

Anyway Tepper really embarrassed himself and I think  he knows it. I really do. The drink/ice assault was way over the line. The whole Reich (and Bryce) disaster. Stuff is totally out of control and it all leads back to him.

How long it lasts who knows but I think he is going to be about as hands off as you will ever see him. More alignment. (okay watch this blow up right away)

Don’t think this alignment thing means I believe they are going to be much better than they were, I think the offense could be twice as good and still suck. (edit: But it could improve our future prospects.)

I am going to try myself, to be more positive. Starting now: The great thing about Bryce is, you can’t stare down a target you can’t see. We got that going. 

Edited by strato

19 minutes ago, strato said:

Yeah that should be like the warning on cigarettes, Caution: Do Not Disable Anti Owner-Tampering Mechanism.

I’m probably worrying about Canales more than Morgan because he sounds like his voice hasn’t changed yet, and if talking and hugging is gonna do it. He made some comments I wonder about where he is really coming from and was he gonna be tough. 

I just don’t know enough about him. There is also a lot to like. 

My rare optimism stems from the pairing and history between the Canales and Morgan duo. It appears we have alignment in all the ways that we need a GM and HC to be aligned; probably for the first time since Gettleman and Rivera had their good year. I guess Rhule and Hurney had it lol. So these two could be aligned totally on with each other and off like hell re the league. 

I think there is a possibility that by being a repellent to coaches seen as the top guys, Tepper stumbled into a good thing

Anyway Tepper really embarrassed himself and I think  he knows it. I really do. The drink/ice assault was way over the line. The whole Reich (and Bryce) disaster. Stuff is totally out of control and it all leads back to him.

How long it lasts who knows but I think he is going to be about as hands off as you will ever see him. More alignment. (okay watch this blow up right away)

Don’t think this alignment thing means I believe they are going to be much better than they were, I think the offense could be twice as good and still suck. (edit: But it could improve our future prospects.)

I am going to try myself, to be more positive. Starting now: The great thing about Bryce is, you can’t stare down a target you can’t see. We got that going. 

I wish I could share that optimism but unfortunately I cannot. It's in Tepper's nature to be controlling, which has been said about his business successes(and failures). Also, at his age, I don't expect him to be able to learn a different way of operating.

Let's hope you are right but I suspect it will remain Tepper micromanaging until he is no longer the owner of this franchise.

• Pie 1

It is out of character for me to feel good about David Tepper. I didn’t like him from the jump.  And I don’t really expect it to take but there is maybe a window for these new guys to try it their way. If they could make any progress, it could buy them some freedom.

With both of them touting the QB, it smells bad already to me but as I said earlier about Morgan; gets a year to state his case. And I understand that you probably aren't getting the job if you don’t tout the QB. 

Edited by strato