• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

David Newton dropping nuggets: most execs say the jury is still out on Bryce

We were a dumpster fire, even more than we probably realized, just a fire as hot as Hell. And according to some NFL people, there's no way Bryce could've succeeded in that environment.

David Newton took notes at the Combine this year. Let's get to the meat of it:

Does that mean the Panthers made a huge mistake in trading two first-round picks (2023, 2024) and top wide receiver DJ Moore for the right to draft Young? Not according to NFL executives, coaches and scouts at last week's combine.

"It's too early,'' said Tampa Bay Buccaneers general manager Jason Licht. "You can't take anything away from Stroud. He had a great year. Unbelievable.

"But it's still too early to tell. It wouldn't surprise me, as good as Bryce was in college, if he rebounds and has a helluva year this year.''

MOST WHO WERE interviewed believe if Stroud had ended up in Carolina, he would have struggled, and if Young had gone to Houston, he would have succeeded because the Texans were set up better for success.

"Houston had an absolutely phenomenal offense that would have fit Bryce perfectly,'' said one NFL executive, who spoke on the condition of anonymity. "It fit CJ perfectly. There wasn't as much to manage at the line of scrimmage. There were a lot of guys running wide open, and not because they are great separators.

"It's a lot of scheme.''

Most agreed that Carolina's spread offense -- orchestrated by coach Frank Reich, who was fired after a 1-10 start -- lacked the personnel, from offensive line to tight end to wide receiver, to be successful.

Multiple sources with direct knowledge of the situation also said there was dysfunction in Carolina because of a difference in philosophy between Reich, offensive coordinator Thomas Brown and offensive line coach James Campen. Several with knowledge of the situation noted the pistol formation used prominently in the season opener wasn't implemented until the week before, an example of not having Young properly prepared.

"That's how little of a plan there was,'' said one source with knowledge of the situation.

"Bryce really didn't stand a chance,'' said another source with direct knowledge of what was going on.

"They put way too much on him,'' another source said.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39675345/did-panthers-make-mistake-trading-take-bryce-young-cj-stroud

There's more (so hopefully what I've posted is fair use), but I'd say that this is plenty for discussion and that which is most pertinent to why Young is being given the benefit of doubt by those whose jobs are to make those types of decisions.

• Pie 8
  • Beer 1

Ugh, will he retire already?   Newton put sources to what we all already knew.  The staff had too many voices, put too much on Bryce's plate and we lacked the personnel to run the offense we were attempting to run...all meaning Young will probably look better this year. 

Earth shattering!

7 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Several with knowledge of the situation noted the pistol formation used prominently in the season opener wasn't implemented until the week before, an example of not having Young properly prepared.

This is absolutely insane.  How the hell did anyone think a rookie QB is going to get this in a week? I've always thought that had we drafted Stroud he would have similar outcome as Young.  Maybe win a game or so more because he's a bit harder to bring down than our featherweight QB. 

The difference in philosophy between Reich, Brown and Campen obviously played a big part.  

• Pie 1

That's why I wait and see.

That's why I hope and believe that it will all be better.

It was a fugged up situation BY stepped into. He didn't stand a chance. No one would have. We were making it up as we went along and none of the guys defining the offense were on the same page with each other.

One voice next year rather than a bunch of voices. One direction. One philosophy. One offense that will actually be based on what we have rather than spontaneously pulling an offense out of a dozen asses and hoping that the people we have can do the poo that we threw on the wall.

• Pie 6

3 minutes ago, top dawg said:

It's certainly more interesting to consider that NFL execs are more thoughtful about what Bryce Young may still have to offer than a bunch of numbskulls on a message board. 

I think Newton writes for the housewives of fans so they can catch up on the Panthers or fans of other teams.  Most of the stuff he writes about is old news to most of our fan base.

• Pie 1

All the experts had bryce over stroud pre draft plus no one was talking about how great texans offense was at that time. They all rated stroud lower because he was the one who could only succeed with top talent around supposedly. These experts opinions are becoming less and less relevant. If you have been watching the game a long time you can do your own evaluation and rankings at this point because its nothing but horse poo everywhere else. 

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I would be willing to bet those on this board have watched 90% more of young then those execs

Perhaps within the context of a dumpster fire, but highly unlikely considering that Bryce has played football since he was wee high...well, he's still wee high, but you get what I'm saying.😁

1 minute ago, Hoenheim said:

I'd straight up draft his replacement if Bryce leads us to another last place finish. 

We had better hope there's a Joe Burrow in the next draft class as it's looking WEAK right now.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, 45catfan said:

I think Newton writes for the housewives of fans so they can catch up on the Panthers or fans of other teams.  Most of the stuff he writes about is old news to most of our fan base.

If you're suggesting that what NFL execs were saying regarding Bryce during this past 10 days is not interesting, then say it's not interesting to you.

5 minutes ago, Hoenheim said:

I'd straight up draft his replacement if Bryce leads us to another last place finish. 

Well, I've already said that we need to draft some Bryce insurance this draft, but a whole lotta people seem to disagree. I'm with you though. Being reactive as opposed to proactive would be absolutely understandable (even from a suspect draft class).

3 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Perhaps within the context of a dumpster fire, but highly unlikely considering that Bryce has played football since he was wee high...well, he's still wee high, but you get what I'm saying.😁

I would bet the majority of this board has seen more NFL bryce then just about every other nfl exec.  What he has done prior to last season doesnt matter at all.  I would venture to say that I, like many other fans on here probably saw every snap young played.  If not all at least 98% of them.  And I dont have to be a nfl exec to see that his footwork was bad, his deep ball is bad, his hop throw motion is bad and his arm strength is bad.  And quite frankly it really doesnt matter what another team exec says, why would they give 2 shits about bryce?  Why would they say anything negative at all?  Does that ever happen?

• Pie 7