• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What do you believe is the meaning of life?

Buckeye Homer

I don't believe there is a "meaning of life."

I think that because a human brain is capable of logic, reasoning and the ability to question, religion was created in order to answer that question. Those people who need a purpose in life, a meaning of life, as you put it, are provided this thru the context of religion.

• Pie 1

On 3/11/2024 at 1:43 AM, Buckeye Homer said:

I believe that the meaning of life is to become one with our creator.  How about you?

1 Corinthians 15:28 ESV

...that God may be all in all.

Do you believe the world is soon to come to an end?

I ask this because a lot of Christians I know are saying this.

• Beer 1

12 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Do you believe the world is soon to come to an end?

I ask this because a lot of Christians I know are saying this.

I have no idea as to when Jesus will return to Earth and, honestly, I don't think too much about it.  I try to stay in the here and now and to follow Jesus's commandments and teachings every day.  That's all I can control.  The rest will take care of itself.  

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, The NFL Shield At Midfield said:

A lot of people have gotten really rich saying we're living in the last days for decades upon decades

I mean aren't there certain events that has to take place before the world ends?

Seems like we are closer than ever. If we have WWIII I think a lot more eyes will open to the possibility.

8 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

I mean aren't there certain events that has to take place before the world ends?

Seems like we are closer than ever. If we have WWIII I think a lot more eyes will open to the possibility.

It depends on the teachings of the denomination.  Premillennialism (there's a checklist of events that will happen and then Jesus will snatch people up into heaven while everybody left on earth suffers through the Tribulation before the final judgment) didn't become mainstream thought in the Protestant denominations until the 18-19th centuries. 

Trying to interpret events in global politics as being analogous to Revelation has been going on forever, across the rise and fall of different superpowers, empires, regimes, etc.  9/11, the Iraq War, Y2K, etc. were all supposed to be ballgame just in my lifetime.  I'd also say we were much closer to WWIII during the Cold War than we are now.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, The NFL Shield At Midfield said:

It depends on the teachings of the denomination.  Premillennialism (there's a checklist of events that will happen and then Jesus will snatch people up into heaven while everybody left on earth suffers through the Tribulation before the final judgment) didn't become mainstream thought in the Protestant denominations until the 18-19th centuries. 

Trying to interpret events in global politics as being analogous to Revelation has been going on forever, across the rise and fall of different superpowers, empires, regimes, etc.  9/11, the Iraq War, Y2K, etc. were all supposed to be ballgame just in my lifetime.  I'd also say we were much closer to WWIII during the Cold War than we are now.

What do you mean Jesus will snatch people up into heaven while everyone else suffers?

Is this while the events are still taking place or just before the final stage?

1 hour ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

What do you mean Jesus will snatch people up into heaven while everyone else suffers?

Is this while the events are still taking place or just before the final stage?

This was a teaching of Cyrus I. Scofield

Click the name and you can read about him and his teachings. Not my cup of tea.

Edited by OHYO

wrong question.

how do you get meaning out of life.

answer, you do good for others and that gives you meaning. it also gives you purpose that isn't a waste. 

anything else is just a waste of atoms.

this answer is good for christians or anyone else.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

On 3/11/2024 at 1:43 AM, Buckeye Homer said:

I believe that the meaning of life is to become one with our creator.  How about you?

1 Corinthians 15:28 ESV

...that God may be all in all.

from a christian point of view, i think you're missing it (true purpose and meaning in living) if that's what you think it is, btw.

you'd have to go back to the beginning and man's purpose in being created. God's image meant to show creation who God is through love, compassion, and care. Everything since then has been about trying to restore humanity to that so that humanity can fulfill that purpose and play a role in restoring what was/is broken in this world.

and if most christians actually believed that, they wouldn't be so vilified. 

6 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Well, every day is closer to Jesus's return than the previous day.  In watching the world around me it is evident that the spread of extreme ungodliness is growing rapidly.  The U.S. has turned into a modern day Sodom.  I hope Jesus returns today.  We need him.