• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Real Reason This Trade is So Bad

3 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Comparing Mack's trade to the trade today, well the circumstances are vastly different.  Mack had several years left, while the Giants are going to have to sign a giant contract for Burns.  There is zero chance that the Giants or anyone else would give up a couple of first for a player on a tag.  Not even a single first or someone would have jumped in and made the offer.  

Now if you want to complain about us not trading Burns a couple of years ago, I completely agree.  Fitterer and company should have either done the trade or bit the bullet and paid him what he wanted.  

Today's move is Morgan making what he thinks is best of a bad situation he inherited.  

The Bears immediately inked Mack to a new deal within hours of the trade making him the highest paid edge rusher in the league.

9 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Comparing Mack's trade to the trade today, well the circumstances are vastly different.  Mack had several years left, while the Giants are going to have to sign a giant contract for Burns.  There is zero chance that the Giants or anyone else would give up a couple of first for a player on a tag.  Not even a single first or someone would have jumped in and made the offer.  

Now if you want to complain about us not trading Burns a couple of years ago, I completely agree.  Fitterer and company should have either done the trade or bit the bullet and paid him what he wanted.  

Today's move is Morgan making what he thinks is best of a bad situation he inherited.  

Not true. Mack was going into his fifth year playing under his fifth year option. The Bears immediately inked him to a new deal making him the highest paid edge rusher in the league.

Y'all are exhausting.  Gonna break it down in simple Jack terms for ya. 

Burns not worth the $$$ he want. 

Burns no want to play here anymore.

Team needs picks. 

I for one am glad they gave a guard the contract Burns should have taken if he was smart. It sends a message. If your not smart it means we don't mind paying but you can't put yourself over the team. 

3 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The real reason it's so awful is the value we got in return. The Giants made him the second highest paid pass rusher in the league and only gave up a 2nd and a 5th to get him. The last time I remember a pass rusher like that getting traded was when Khalil Mack got traded to the Bears. Now I think Mack was the better player but they were comparable. Mack became the highest paid edge rusher and had 40.5 sacks over the previous four years. Burns is the 2nd highest paid edge rusher and he has 38.5 sacks over the previous four years. There's a reason why the Rams offered us two 1sts and the reason was largely the standard the Khalil Mack trade set.

What did the Raiders get for Mack? Two 1sts, a 3rd, and a 6th. We got robbed.

And how many playoff games did the Bears win after that trade. And the Raiders? I rest my case. The only way we screw ourselves is paying Burns what the Giants gave him. He won't be making it to the end of that contract I'd almost be willing to bet money on that

Edited by Mr Mojo Risin

7 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The Bears immediately inked Mack to a new deal within hours of the trade making him the highest paid edge rusher in the league.

Irrelevant, they had him for at least two to three years regardless.  

If you want a more comparable situation, its Yannick Ngakoue.  He had roughly similar production to Burns, and the Jaguars tagged and traded him to the Vikings for a second and a conditional fifth.  

Or perhaps Dee Ford who coming off of a pro bowl season, was tagged and traded by KC to the forty niners for a second round pick and a player whose name escapes me.  

No way in he!! anyone gives us two first rounders for Burns today.  We wouldn't have gotten a single first for him unless we give up something else.  

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

How many playoff games have we appeared in since Tepper bought the team?

What does that have to do with these two trades that you made out to be the exact same scenario? So why not look at the success (or lack thereof) that move made for each of those teams? In the end it didn't matter one way or the other and the people who are upset about the Burns compensation should be thanking their lucky stars this regime was at least smart enough not to cave to Burns demands and still got something for him while not paying him a single cent more. This was a win for the Panthers

4 minutes ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

What does that have to do with these two trades that you made out to be the exact same scenario? So why not look at the success (or lack thereof) that move made for each of those teams? In the end it didn't matter one way or the other and the people who are upset about the Burns compensation should be thanking their lucky stars this regime was at least smart enough not to cave to Burns demands and still got something for him while not paying him a single cent more. This was a win for the Panthers

You are wasting your time.

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

I'm a fan of the Panthers. The issue at hand here is trade compensation. We got fleeced. We're the worst team in the league in large part because we're making quite the habit of getting fleeced.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Irrelevant, they had him for at least two to three years regardless.  

If you want a more comparable situation, its Yannick Ngakoue.  He had roughly similar production to Burns, and the Jaguars tagged and traded him to the Vikings for a second and a conditional fifth.  

Or perhaps Dee Ford who coming off of a pro bowl season, was tagged and traded by KC to the forty niners for a second round pick and a player whose name escapes me.  

No way in he!! anyone gives us two first rounders for Burns today.  We wouldn't have gotten a single first for him unless we give up something else.  

Burns and Ford both played 5 years with Burns having 12 more sacks than Ford, Burns is also still 2 years younger than Ford was at the time

Burns also had 9 more sacks (albeit in an extra season) than Ngakoue, who was in a public twitter fight with the team's owner and was demanding a trade.

Neither are comparable situations and Burns is considered a much higher ceiling pass rusher within the league circles than either of those players were, so if they both got 2nd rounders for them, Burns should have gotten more.

We let Burns find a contract and then took the best offer that team would give us, we should have played hard ball and said you have to find a team willing to give us fair compensation.  If that cost Burns money, well that's his fault for putting himself and the team in this situation when he turned down more than fair offers before last year and then laid an egg.

Edited by tukafan21