• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ickey To The Bench

40 minutes ago, WUnderhill said:

Inside zone and wide zone are completely different types of blocking. Maybe you should google it…

Last year, we incorporated a lot more wide zone, which is what Canales has been known for so far, and Ekwonu looked terrible.

Yep, Icky's technique breaks down big time when hes in space and reaching.

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

I don't think that's quite fair. Little just sucked, period. I don't think he was good at any aspect of playing OT.

I was just making fun of him being a combine wonder. Probably one of the worst combines from an OT I ever remember watching. 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, CarolinaWillRise said:

Man I swear some of the people here just love talking out of their rear, BOZEMAN was terrible because he he didn't have the lateral movement athleticism to move laterally in an inside/mesh zone scheme or slide in pass pro.

Ickey is in the top 14% of LTs from the last 37 years (over 1500).

His biggest STRENGTH is inside zone!

GOOGLE IS your friend.

Do the r

Inside zone and wide zone are toootally different.

Just now, SmokinwithWilly said:

I was just making fun of him being a combine wonder. Probably one of the worst combines from an OT I ever remember watching. 

You ain't lying. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he was just taken off of a lot of draft boards after that. He looked like a fish out of water. 

9 minutes ago, NorthTryon said:

Plus, they were implementing the scheme a week before the season started. Then it changed again and again throughout the year. Thanks for adding another layer of context to these asinine posts!

Not that last year wasn’t a dumpster fire across the board, but with the players nerfing practice reps at every cba they can no longer be fat slobs in the off-season and expect to come get in shape, perfect their craft, and iron everything out in training camp. If Ickey isn’t working on his fundamentals in the off-season, he won’t ever live up to expectations at LT.

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, WUnderhill said:

Not that last year wasn’t a dumpster fire across the board, but with the players nerfing practice reps at every cba they can no longer be fat slobs in the off-season and expect to come get in shape, perfect their craft, and iron everything out in training camp. If Ickey isn’t working on his fundamentals in the off-season, he won’t ever live up to expectations at LT.

Ain't that the truth! The biggest drop off in play across the board is due to lack of reps for OL throughout training camp. Their technique and conditioning are way off. I feel like guys hardly have any chance anymore to work on their game with practice reps anymore. 

10 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

Almost every starting LT had a rough second season. It's the learning curve, not just of the player but of the opposing players who now have enough tape and sometimes head-to-head experience to know the player's tendencies and weaknesses. 

That sophomore slump is where the learning curve is at its steepest and the odds are in favor of the defense. Let's see how he comes back in the third season as a starter. Sometimes they don't make it and head to the bench and the second string. And most times, for the great ones, this is where they start feeling their place in the game and take ownership not just of their gameplay but of that patch of field they are standing on. 

I have faith that Icky will live up to his potential. Just give him someone steady beside him and have someone who can make the right play and protection calls. 

I think a big part of that is offseason conditioning.  prior to the rookie season they HAVE to stay in game shape because of the combine, the draft, then immediately into rookie OTAs, then into regular OTAs, then training camp.  There's not any downtime to lose your conditioning.  Between Rookie to Sophomore season though they view it as their first chance to relax in 2 years.  The ones who make it are the ones who understand that part of the job includes the months between one season and the next.

• Pie 2

11 hours ago, WUnderhill said:

Probably should start wrapping our heads around this possibility. Hunt is the instant starter at RG. Lewis at LG has been the definition of a league average starter over his career ranking 32nd in pass block win rate among guards. I would not be surprised at all of Christensen beats out Ickey for the starting LT spot in Canales’ wide zone scheme, and I think Lewis would beat him out at LG. And we may still add more OL depth. It wouldn’t take much to beat out the Ickey we saw last year.

Especially if he sits on his ass all off-season like last year and doesn’t improve.

Buwhahahahahahah