• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

REPORT: Panthers in the running for Patrick Queen

24 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

He just wants to be upset about something.  The man is mad we paid OGs.  After watching last year everyone should want this.  

Oh yeah for sure, it's just hilarious that the need to be upset has led us down a road where we're pissed that we're prioritizing o-line over linebackers.  If only the ~2010 Huddle could see us now...I guess poor Marty was just ahead of his time.

• Pie 1

30 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Lol they were great at avoiding them for sure. If they can't draft OGs or DTs they shouldn't be drafting anything.

How did it work for their QB? Or 2nd round WRs? We can do this all day with a poorly run team.

Well, historically, they can’t. See: Chandler Zavala, Edmund Kugbila, Amini Silatolu, Cade Mays, etc. Heck, even our successes are just kind of meh and short lived like Trai Turner.

My point isn’t that we shouldn’t draft guards, it’s that we shouldn’t rely on only the draft. We should absolutely draft OL depth this year, but relying on only drafted guys to come in and fix a line this bad, especially mid round guys, is stupid. We needed week 1 starters, not guys coming out of college and still learning because nobody runs NFL offenses in college anymore.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

We should have MADE him! Damn it Dan Morgan!

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. You can't make free agents come to your team. You have to have something to offer them. The Panthers have almost nothing on defense that would attract a young player in their career years. 

This isn't Madden. Players don't come to dumpster fire teams that will send their career in a down trajectory just to earn a million more per year. It's going to take a massive overpay to even somewhat attract free agents.

• Pie 1

12 minutes ago, WUnderhill said:

Well, historically, they can’t. See: Chandler Zavala, Edmund Kugbila, Amini Silatolu, Cade Mays, etc. Heck, even our successes are just kind of meh and short lived like Trai Turner.

My point isn’t that we shouldn’t draft guards, it’s that we shouldn’t rely on only the draft. We should absolutely draft OL depth this year, but relying on only drafted guys to come in and fix a line this bad, especially mid round guys, is stupid. We needed week 1 starters, not guys coming out of college and still learning because nobody runs NFL offenses in college anymore.

Lewis was a 3rd round pick and started 16 games as a rookie and Hunt was a 2nd round pick and started 11 games but played in 16. 

Look I get they need OG help and I get taking one in free agency to avoiding double dipping at the same position in the draft but just because the people in charge here are terrible at it here usually doesn't justify it not being a real thing for other teams. It's an inditement of how well they do their job not how hard it is to find playable OGs. By your logic they should just trade all of their picks away due to the low return they have had recently?

And why the rush for this year? They are not contenders even if they are trying to compete like any other team, that's not tanking it's just reality. Hell Young didn't die after the OG play last year you would think a decent rookie would be an improvement over the guys from last year...who this GM helped make happen with his buddy boss. 

The draft should always be the first priority in talent acquisition and free agency to find the missing pieces on good teams or hungry guys to give a chance on a Panther's level of team. If they can't draft well they shouldn't keep their jobs or do and run a bottom dweller team. 

18 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Lewis was a 3rd round pick and started 16 games as a rookie and Hunt was a 2nd round pick and started 11 games but played in 16. 

Look I get they need OG help and I get taking one in free agency to avoiding double dipping at the same position in the draft but just because the people in charge here are terrible at it here usually doesn't justify it not being a real thing for other teams. It's an inditement of how well they do their job not how hard it is to find playable OGs. By your logic they should just trade all of their picks away due to the low return they have had recently?

And why the rush for this year? They are not contenders even if they are trying to compete like any other team, that's not tanking it's just reality. Hell Young didn't die after the OG play last year you would think a decent rookie would be an improvement over the guys from last year...who this GM helped make happen with his buddy boss. 

The draft should always be the first priority in talent acquisition and free agency to find the missing pieces on good teams or hungry guys to give a chance on a Panther's level of team. If they can't draft well they shouldn't keep their jobs or do and run a bottom dweller team. 

You’re making some weird jumps. Why would my logic dictate they trade all their draft picks? Also, just giving examples of guards who were drafted in mid rounds and turned out good doesn’t mean it’s “easy” to find them. If the teams that drafted them knew they would be that good they would draft them sooner first off. And second, you’ve got to come with the data of total number of guards drafted and how many of them turned out good. I’d bet it’s a bit more of a crapshoot than you think.

As for why the rush this year. There were times last year when the offense literally just could not play because of how bad the line was. 1st down run for no gain or loss of one if it’s up the gut or loss of 3-5 if trying to swing it outside. False start penalty or holding on first or second down backs us up further. Forced into passing situations and the DL gets three guys in the QBs face within 1-2 seconds rushing 4 and dropping everybody back into coverage. You can’t play football like that, and I’m not exaggerating that situation at all. Something had to be done.

• Pie 1