• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Restocking with just Pick #39?

In my little fantasy world, would it not be crazy to use pick #39 to trade down as many times as possible in the 2nd for a haul of 3rd round picks to restock the team with?

<insert Specialjuan tweet here>

Edited by chknwing

5 minutes ago, Krovvy said:

The Scott Fitterer 2021 special.

image.jpeg.cbac86130851eef7ad418bf5b408db34.jpeg

“Listen, I’ll move down or trade you Derrick Brown for a 7th rounder” 

what I assume Fitterer would say 

• Pie 2
  • The D 1

Just now, Tbe said:

The odds of a 2nd rounder to develop into a starter is 33%. A high 2nd is more like 40%.

The odds of a 3rd drops to 16%.

The math doesn’t favor those trades.

Are we talking starter level player or pro-bowler? I read one article has has picks 31-40 having a 24% chance to net a pro-bowl level player. After that it drops to about 16-18% for 40-70.

Either way, I want the Panthers to take the best player available and only consider trade backs if their board does not match the value of their pick.

It's just a poor strategy to go into the draft with the attitude of acquiring picks instead of talented players.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, Krovvy said:

Are we talking starter level player or pro-bowler? I read one article has has picks 31-40 having a 24% chance to net a pro-bowl level player. After that it drops to about 16-18% for 40-70.

Either way, I want the Panthers to take the best player available and only consider trade backs if their board does not match the value of their pick.

It's just a poor strategy to go into the draft with the attitude of acquiring picks instead of talented players.

1st round - about 50% of players drafted in the 1st round developed into solid NFL starters.

2nd round - about 33% of players drafted in the 2nd round developed into solid NFL starter. From here, it dropped by 50% per round.

3rd round - about 16%.

4th round - about 8%.

5th round - about 4-5%.

6th round - about 2%.

7th round - about 1-2%.

• Pie 2

11 minutes ago, chknwing said:

In my little fantasy world, would it not be crazy to use pick #39 to trade down as many times as possible in the 2nd for a haul of 3rd round picks to restock the team with?

<insert Specialjuan tweet here>

Depends on who is on the board. We need cheap promising starters first and foremost. If there is only potential backup or developmental projects left then I'm open to it.

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Pie 1

5 minutes ago, Tbe said:

The odds of a 2nd rounder to develop into a starter is 33%. A high 2nd is more like 40%.

The odds of a 3rd drops to 16%.

The math doesn’t favor those trades.

carolina doesnt draft well, they need more shots to try and hit on something

2 minutes ago, chknwing said:

carolina doesnt draft well, they need more shots to try and hit on something

That's true but roster spots themselves are an asset. If you're throwing darts at a board and loading the roster with unknowns it can be a net-negative at some point.

It really depends on the rest of free agency.