• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ahead of first draft together, Dan Morgan and Dave Canales spent time on basics

6 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I've learned a long time ago that in those types of situations you always keep receipts to cover your ass

nice to keep them, sometimes it is better to not bring it up though.  I mean, let's just say random scout was a CJ Stroud 100% guy.  Well, you probably don't go up to Dan and be like....see Dan, I was right.  Morgan, if he was a Bryce guy..... already knows who was a CJ guy. 

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, CRA said:

nice to keep them, sometimes it is better to not bring it up though.  I mean, let's just say random scout was a CJ Stroud 100% guy.  Well, you probably don't go up to Dan and be like....see Dan, I was right.  Morgan, if he was a Bryce guy..... already knows who was a CJ guy. 

if the scout was a CJ guy then they already know it.  

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, CRA said:

All scouts keep receipts.. I mean they all write scouting reports. 

Listening to interviews of scouts that get moved or promoted, they often refence their reports on players they have scouted that they were proved right on. I think that world is all about receipts. 

But your right, flashing that your right when someone else was wrong is a good way to get blackballed in that current organization. 

• Pie 3

11 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Can't believe no one has mentioned how Canales has given us our very own version of Shocked Pikachu for future meme potential:

image.png.5d5f497a8cc4120cb341ab8b7abcbc1c.png

my biggest complaint of the Frank era....is that son of....didn't give us one usable gif to use on the huddle. 

Rhule had iconic shrug.  Ron had the Star presser stare.  Frank gave us nothing.  Someone gif that so we can use it this season when needed. 

• Beer 2

On 4/19/2024 at 8:56 AM, CanadianCat said:

1. A lot of 'why weren't we doing this before' moments. But glad to see that they are. Actually Dan  Morgan sitting behind Fitt and seeing what went wrong may actually be a good thing. 

I hate to say it, but we saw this exact same stuff last year with Reich. All the, why didn’t Rhule do this or that talk.

I’m just in a wait and see mode because right now we are seeing the same PR as we’ve seen multiple times before.

Hopefully, we have a good draft but I’ll be honest. I just want to hear that we are  going after the best and most talented players not just people who fit a scheme. This team is so devoid of pure football talent that it worries me that we might draft a guy who supposedly fits our scheme over a guy who’s flat out a better player.

• Pie 1

12 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

I hate to say it, but we saw this exact same stuff last year with Reich. All the, why didn’t Rhule do this or that talk.

I’m just in a wait and see mode because right now we are seeing the same PR as we’ve seen multiple times before.

Hopefully, we have a good draft but I’ll be honest. I just want to hear that we are  going after the best and most talented players not just people who fit a scheme. This team is so devoid of pure football talent that it worries me that we might draft a guy who supposedly fits our scheme over a guy who’s flat out a better player.

well, that's the thing that they said they were doing...that' it's not about the X's and O's first, it's about getting them dawgs and then figuring the X and O stuff later.

and i don't think they/we were have the same conversations with reich & co.  they were too busy talking about how clever they were for not discussing the #1 pick with each other and waiting till the last moment to talk about it so they could be sure they were all on the same page. i mean they and everyone else were singularly focused no that #1 pick. looking back there was no real meat to anything they said. it was fluff. all of it. you might think that canales and morgan is a lot of fluff, but reich had nothing but that going on. fitt didn't know anything either. you never got a sense from him that he was a football guy. he carried himself like a good used car salesman. 

4 hours ago, rayzor said:

well, that's the thing that they said they were doing...that' it's not about the X's and O's first, it's about getting them dawgs and then figuring the X and O stuff later.

and i don't think they/we were have the same conversations with reich & co.  they were too busy talking about how clever they were for not discussing the #1 pick with each other and waiting till the last moment to talk about it so they could be sure they were all on the same page. i mean they and everyone else were singularly focused no that #1 pick. looking back there was no real meat to anything they said. it was fluff. all of it. you might think that canales and morgan is a lot of fluff, but reich had nothing but that going on. fitt didn't know anything either. you never got a sense from him that he was a football guy. he carried himself like a good used car salesman. 

The articles aren’t going to be the exact same but we had the same type of we’re doing things different this time last offseason.

The dawg stuff may get some in here excited but if a guy plays well we’ll call him a dawg and if he sucks then we’ll say he must not have been a dawg.

Every pick better work because otherwise it means our dawg GM can’t pick dawgs.

Again, we will find out soon and the next couple/few drafts are our foundation or confirmation of a full decade of losing.

5 hours ago, WhoKnows said:

Fair point but I think the personal touch Morgan has with the franchise makes me believe he’s incredibly invested in our success. He played with flat out studs in Peppers, Jenkins, Smitty, Witherspoon, Hoover, etc. He knows what pure talent vs scheme oriented brilliance looks like. 

You might think this because of the rough ride Bryce went through last year. But the moves we made this offseason are the type of moves you make for any first overall pick . I don’t think Canales is as tied to Bryce as people think. That said we have to be able to evaluate him without any caveats to truly see if he’s the guy. 

Edited by OneBadCat
  • Pie 1