• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Do You Agree With The Neglect of the Offensive Line from This Draft???

3 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

First, thanks for the kind words.  There are a lot of knowledgeable people here and the problem is when we get emotional we tend to go overboard--that is passion for the team.  However, when we take our meds and post within 48 hours of our sessions with counselors, we tend to make sense.  This center will make the PS--without a doubt, where he could push for the backup role eventually. 

I try to keep it between the ditches, but most people here respect each others' differences of opinions.  It is interesting to me to hear others' opinions because they pull me back to reality at times. 

This center was a good pick.  It will be interesting to see how Corbett does after this season and if they extend him (He is only 28, I think).  

Yeah, I'm with you here. Nothing is 100% but so far I've been impressed by our new leaders. I thought the draft moves were great. I can't believe we got a 2nd next season and still got our targets with our first 2 picks. That was badass. Morgan is a dawg too. We can't forget that. Just look at those eyes. Morgan is intense.  

• Beer 1

7 hours ago, SetfreexX said:

Go watch the Corbett interview from voluntary OTAs.

He was the starter for LAR at Center until an injury the SB year. 

We are fine at starting center atm, and we have two guys that were starters as a Tackle, and interior depth (Yosh, and BC), Zavala in year 2 stands to improve, Cade Mays in year 3 as well, but they're both suites as depth pieces currently.

They also signing two of the better guards in the NFL (Hunt) / free agency (Lewis). 

The OL received a lot of attention, and with an offensive shift to what suits them as a run first unit, we HAD to upgrade the weapons to keep defenses honest vs the pass. 

And for those that like to root for UDFAs,we brought in Raym from Oklahoma who is a Center.

Corbett was a guard for the Rams and didn't play center there outside of camp and maybe some preseason games. Same for the Browns.

Or when he was a starting guard in the Super Bowl.

Corbett started snapping the ball from the second day of OTAs, setting the stage for this assignment that everyone keeps describing as inevitable.

Of course, having game experience doing it is different, and Corbett played some center during the preseason with the Browns in 2018 and 2019

"He was a wonderful college football tackle, but I knew that he wasn't the prototypical physical makeup for that position. But I did think his toughness, his work ethic, his intelligence, his ability to communicate would make him a perfect center. I've been really happy for the success that he's had playing guard, but I don't even think he's the prototypical guard. I mean, in the NFL, the guards are kind of the road graders, guys who are 325 or 330, and that's just not who he is."

From the Panthers' mouthpiece, former coaches, and Corbett himself.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Panthers Rhule said:

Excellent post. Before yesterday I hadn't posted in about 2 years. I just popped in every once in a while to get updates. A couple of guys around here are excellent at that and one is funny as heck. Then there's MHS831, when I do pop in I always check out your threads. I really appreciate your takes and how you explain them and also the effort you put into it. Plus, your a class act. Grade: A

I also came here to mention the UDFA C I understand we signed. I've read that he was ranked in the 6th round for what that's worth. He had a solid career and has traits that are special. He needs to be developed but he has potential and his strength is run blocking and his athleticism fits what we want to do offensively I think.  I think he was a late draft target that they believed was safe so they drafted other players and picked him up after the draft instead. If so, that's smart and very disciplined.   

Here's a report on his strengths:

SCOUTING REPORT: STRENGTHS
  • Raym is a work in progress with high-end physical traits. He’s extremely light on his feet for a 300-pounder, a natural knee bender who plays with balance and leverage.
  • Solid positional run blocker who flashes the nasty demeanor and killer instinct scouts covet.
  • Shows a good feel for combo blocks, and Raym displays good quickness and flexibility when moving to the second level, capable of sealing the back side on reach blocks
  • He’s a coordinated athlete who can win at the point of attack in the run game, and he can also move to consistently land blocks at the second level.
  • Has the strong leg drive to create movement at the line of scrimmage, consistently putting defenders on the ground.
  • Finishes and doesn't quit; competitor with a positive attitude and leadership traits that coaches admire.

He's a dawg. Badass. I think his skills fit what we want to do too. This kid has the potential to be a stud for us. It's true we didn't draft him but we still got him. So, if it's really a big deal, just imagine that we had an extra 6th and drafted this guy there. He was valued there so it's a good pick. In my mind, we got a good center this draft, even if we didn't draft him. We signed him just the same. 

Nice username.

Hannibal Lecter Horror GIF

• The D 1

I mean at the end of the day they couldn't fix the team in one off season. The draft fell the way it did compared to their board. There is still time to bring in some vet/mid tier cuts maybe. Theres also next season, overall the line is vastly improved so hopefully results will be much better as long as center isn't god awful. 

• Pie 1