• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why Corbett (and Brady Christensen) will make good Centers

MHS831

People saying we have no natural center on the team is being disingenuous. Yes he is undrafted, but so was Jeff Saturday. When building a roster, you have to ask people to do multiple things or down right allocate resources to different position groups. This isn't Madden which isn't said enough on this board. 

Andrew Raym, C, Oklahoma

Center was a position of need for the Panthers before the draft, but they waited until after the festivities to bring one into the building. That center is Andrew Raym, who started 29 games over his final three years at Oklahoma.

Raym possesses prototypical NFL size at 6-foot-4 and 314 pounds. He uses his strength to his advantage, though analysts noted he has slow hands at the point of attack and can struggle against quicker defenders. 

Raym was the anchor of an offensive line that helped the Sooners rank third in the country in yards per game (507.0) in 2023. If he can clean up some of his technical issues and lean into his strengths as a gritty mauler, he could find his way onto the team's final 53-player roster.  

16 minutes ago, NorthTryon said:

People saying we have no natural center on the team is being disingenuous. Yes he is undrafted, but so was Jeff Saturday. When building a roster, you have to ask people to do multiple things or down right allocate resources to different position groups. This isn't Madden which isn't said enough on this board. 

Andrew Raym, C, Oklahoma

Center was a position of need for the Panthers before the draft, but they waited until after the festivities to bring one into the building. That center is Andrew Raym, who started 29 games over his final three years at Oklahoma.

Raym possesses prototypical NFL size at 6-foot-4 and 314 pounds. He uses his strength to his advantage, though analysts noted he has slow hands at the point of attack and can struggle against quicker defenders. 

Raym was the anchor of an offensive line that helped the Sooners rank third in the country in yards per game (507.0) in 2023. If he can clean up some of his technical issues and lean into his strengths as a gritty mauler, he could find his way onto the team's final 53-player roster.  

I don't really consider the UDFAs part of the team or plan.   If he makes the team? Then sure.  They carry such low odds.  Hope he does. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

9 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Totally relaxed.  Just not here to get into petty disputes with Captain Hindsight.  Start focusing on the Panthers and not the people who post perspectives and you will grasp the purpose of this board.  As for my reading comprehension--it didn't take me long to read you.

SMH. Completely missed again. You are getting way too petty when I didn’t even call you out. Sorry for recalling something you posted before. It’s amazing how worked up people get. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and hoping for a better result.

23 minutes ago, CRA said:

I don't really consider the UDFAs part of the team or plan.   If he makes the team? Then sure.  They carry such low odds.  Hope he does. 

But sometimes that is what you have to do considering the big picture. Rhule and Fitt left this team devoid of talent and stretched out true rebuilding efforts under the disguise of a ready to compete roster. How can you not consider UDFAs part of the team or plan when their contributions over the course of NFL history and our own team history has been unmeasurable? A great deal of NFL success is pure opportunity and there is real talent in the UDFA pool. This kid started 29 games over last three seasons in college with many accolades and he should be considered a solution, part of the team/plan until he is out right no longer a part of the organization. 

10 minutes ago, NorthTryon said:

But sometimes that is what you have to do considering the big picture. Rhule and Fitt left this team devoid of talent and stretched out true rebuilding efforts under the disguise of a ready to compete roster. How can you not consider UDFAs part of the team or plan when their contributions over the course of NFL history and our own team history has been unmeasurable? A great deal of NFL success is pure opportunity and there is real talent in the UDFA pool. This kid started 29 games over last three seasons in college with many accolades and he should be considered a solution, part of the team/plan until he is out right no longer a part of the organization. 

I'm not arguing against it.  I'm just arguing when the season kicks off, they should be carrying a legit C on the roster going in. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

The UDFA center we signed is intriguing. But that's all we've got to hang our hat on. Honestly we should be keeping another option in our back pocket even if it means signing another vet.

For those saying that's too cautious. Go back and watch the OL play from last season. Then go back even further and watch Matt Paradis play center for us. Then come back here and tell me there's nothing to be concerned about.

Nickelodeon Yes GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

• Beer 1

I am gonna say, it has to be on the concern list.

OTOH it isn’t last year. The two guys flanking the C are going to be a bit more help than the guys we had. I mean, I didn’t know why Zavala was on the team after watching his misadventures last season.  

10 minutes ago, strato said:

I am gonna say, it has to be on the concern list.

OTOH it isn’t last year. The two guys flanking the C are going to be a bit more help than the guys we had. I mean, I didn’t know why Zavala was on the team after watching his misadventures last season.  

In his defense he was a rookie that didn't really have training camp becauseofinjury.  Then thrust into starting lineup. He was a road grader in college.  Hopefully he provides depth at guard

I remember him mostly because he is associated with a bot peeve.

That bot mocks us you know.... hey the team is poo again, look over there>>> distracts with a sympathetic story about the OL handing out plates at the shelter for an hour.

I don’t remember reading he was really struggling on the field, but I do remember his dad is a gourmet chef and sends meat to Zavalla to feed to the team. And I remember that irritating the hell out of me for some crazy reason when I saw him standing perfectly still and watching stunting pass rushers as they go by.