• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Where would the Panthers be if they sat Bryce Young last season?

Posted (edited)

IMO Dalton would (present day) and would have beat him out but was not brought in to compete, and he stated that in preseason or camp last year. Strictly a backup by mutual agreement is the way it shook out. 

Edited by strato
  • Beer 1

14 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

I think he is competition for Young, the problem is THE STAFF didnt make him competition for Young. We barely saw anything from Dalton from camp threw pre season. They made Dalton the starter after the draft very briefly then all of a sudden we hear Bryce had won the job and it was very weird. The whole process last year was just off along with Tepper telling bryce all the way back to the superbowl we were gonna draft him. Bryce doesnt even visit with any other teams nor does he participate in combine and then there was the whole fiasco with the weight. It was just a lot of coasting all last year around bryce.

The number one pick winning the job vs a vet backup is pretty much the norm.  Also Bryce visited with other teams, the Texans and Raiders brought him in, but yeah a week before the draft he cancelled any remaining visits as he knew where he was going.  Regardless we have a new staff now.  According to this argument it wouldn't matter if we brought it competition or not as the job was/is given to Bryce.  So why are you upset we brought it no competition if it's irrelevant?  Either the new staff will see Dalton as competition or they are rolling with Young no matter what. 

1 hour ago, travisura said:

I think its been pretty evident that Young will be allowed this year to prove himself with a functional staff and some actual weapons. If he can't hack it, then he'll be replaced. If you're not ok with that then tough titties I guess.

I mean, in reality, Frank Reich wasn't functionally simply because Carolina of late brings everyone down in the gutter.   Reich was a functional and safe coach.  They seemed to intentionally go that route after the Rhule era. 

I mean, everyone bought into the all star staff hype for a reason.  Because they weren't Rhule college know nothings.  

that's not praise of Reich.  He is old and out dated.   But Frank quickly turned from a safe option to a bad option becuase of how unique Bryce is/was. 

• Beer 1

Ok. This is ridiculous. No one is bringing in "real competition" for a first round QB, let alone the #1 pick in the draft. That's not how it works. Anyone deemed competition is really just a dog and pony show for the crowd. Politics are a real thing in sports. Always has been. Always will be. 

Bryce will get all of this season, barring injury or him just completely regressing to being unplayable. I'd even think he gets the first half of next season too. Just accept it and move on. The Bryce sucks takes are really getting old. I get it. You mostly just don't like him. From the too little, too brittle, too short to see, to weak to break tackles, too slow to outrun anyone, too weak of an arm that he can't throw the ball 50 yards, and so on and so forth. Any person without a motive could see he never had a chance with the offense around him - oline, receivers, scheme and playcalling. He should at least have league average this season. And this is not a super star supporting cast on offense by any means, but it should allow him to play within the offense and not try to do too much too early that he comes off looking incompetent. A couple of linemen and receivers he trusts to do their jobs is all he should need to show what he can do. If he doesn't show up, then he gets shown out. But let's just give him this season at least. Jeez. 

• Pie 1

So okay according to you, and to be fair, others too, the state of affairs is:

he couldn’t have done any better last year because of all the horrible players and coaches that didn’t do their jobs. 

And

People that talk about him not doing a good job, even though he was historically bad, are ruining it for his fans.

And top it off with: real fans know what good is, and the doubters don't.  Got it.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Navy_football said:

Ok. This is ridiculous. No one is bringing in "real competition" for a first round QB, let alone the #1 pick in the draft. That's not how it works. Anyone deemed competition is really just a dog and pony show for the crowd. Politics are a real thing in sports. Always has been. Always will be. 

Bryce will get all of this season, barring injury or him just completely regressing to being unplayable. I'd even think he gets the first half of next season too. Just accept it and move on. The Bryce sucks takes are really getting old. I get it. You mostly just don't like him. From the too little, too brittle, too short to see, to weak to break tackles, too slow to outrun anyone, too weak of an arm that he can't throw the ball 50 yards, and so on and so forth. Any person without a motive could see he never had a chance with the offense around him - oline, receivers, scheme and playcalling. He should at least have league average this season. And this is not a super star supporting cast on offense by any means, but it should allow him to play within the offense and not try to do too much too early that he comes off looking incompetent. A couple of linemen and receivers he trusts to do their jobs is all he should need to show what he can do. If he doesn't show up, then he gets shown out. But let's just give him this season at least. Jeez. 

I don't think there is anyway Bryce Young can stink....and remain the starting QB past this year.  NFL history of late strongly goes against that.  Then you got Tepper as the ice cream on top. 

41 minutes ago, strato said:

So okay according to you, and to be fair, others too, the state of affairs is:

he couldn’t have done any better last year because of all the horrible players and coaches that didn’t do their jobs. 

And

People that talk about him not doing a good job, even though he was historically bad, are ruining it for his fans.

And top it off with: real fans know what good is, and the doubters don't.  Got it.

If one side talks about how awful Bryce was last year and the other side talks about how Bryce was put in an impossible situation, then it's just going to be a circular unproductive back and forth ad nauseum until we see how this season plays out.  And I think that's where most of us are...the roster is what it is, so let's just look ahead to this upcoming season instead of rehashing the same tired conversations over and over again about last season. "Was Bryce bad last year?" is such a boring and juvenile debate to be having halfway into the offseason.

For as much as you and others like to talk about how delicate and sensitive the Bryce fans are, y'all get just as triggered towards the people voicing opposing positive sentiments.  You're just two sides of the same coin...it's really silly to get on a high horse about how you're the levelheaded ones.  I similarly find it ironic how your side of the aisle always prides themselves on being "realists", when I would argue that the realest realists are those who understand that Bryce is our unquestioned starting QB and it is in our best interests for him to succeed.  Because that's the reality of the situation.  Instead, you guys are complaining that we didn't bring in Nathan Rourke from the Canadian Football League (lol) to compete with Bryce Young.  Y'all know damn well that if we signed Nathan Rourke or if we were in the Falcons' position of paying Cousins and then drafting Penix in the Top 10 (both moves that are being praised in here), you would be laughing your asses off at how stupid the Panthers are.  "LOLOL Nathan Rourke is who we bring in to push Bryce?? What an insulting farce of a QB competition".

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, CRA said:

I don't think there is anyway Bryce Young can stink....and remain the starting QB past this year.  NFL history of late strongly goes against that.  Then you got Tepper as the ice cream on top. 

Agree. I think I said that. If he regresseds and is unplayable, he'll sit. If he's at least "ok" he'll get all season and some of 2025.

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

If one side talks about how awful Bryce was last year and the other side talks about how Bryce was put in an impossible situation, then it's just going to be a circular unproductive back and forth ad nauseum until we see how this season plays out.  And I think that's where most of us are...the roster is what it is, so let's just look ahead to this upcoming season instead of rehashing the same tired conversations over and over again about last season. "Was Bryce bad last year?" is such a boring and juvenile debate to be having halfway into the offseason.

For as much as you and others like to talk about how delicate and sensitive the Bryce fans are, y'all get just as triggered towards the people voicing opposing positive sentiments.  You're just two sides of the same coin...it's really silly to get on a high horse about how you're the levelheaded ones.  I similarly find it ironic how your side of the aisle always prides themselves on being "realists", when I would argue that the realest realists are those who understand that Bryce is our unquestioned starting QB and it is in our best interests for him to succeed.  Because that's the reality of the situation.  Instead, you guys are complaining that we didn't bring in Nathan Rourke from the Canadian Football League (lol) to compete with Bryce Young.  Y'all know damn well that if we signed Nathan Rourke or if we were in the Falcons' position of paying Cousins and then drafting Penix in the Top 10 (both moves that are being praised in here), you would be laughing your asses off at how stupid the Panthers are.  "LOLOL Nathan Rourke is who we bring in to push Bryce?? What an insulting farce of a QB competition".

I never claimed to be level headed. Just not blind.

Edited by strato
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, jasonluckydog said:

Preseason doesn't matter?

If he doesn't shine by pregame game 3. We are in for a long season. 

We've had 2 really bad back to back preseasons where the coaches didn't take it seriously, coddled the starting qb, and claimed to not be giving away any of their magic playbooks lol. We at least need to beat dudes one on one in basic reps, at the very least not have our starters get outplayed by other teams 2nd string guys again. 

• Beer 2

4 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

We've had 2 really bad back to back preseasons where the coaches didn't take it seriously, coddled the starting qb, and claimed to not be giving away any of their magic playbooks lol. We at least need to beat dudes one on one in basic reps, at the very least not have our starters get outplayed by other teams 2nd string guys again. 

If our offense and the general team vibe is dogwater in preseason again we should all bring out the torches.

• Beer 2